• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Henry U.S. Survival rifle

Tomahawk

imported post

I've always wanted to get a survival rifle, either one of these or the single-shot break-barrel ones that have over-under .22/.410 barrels.

That said, this is a survival rifle, not a defensive arm. You can use it to pop squirrels when you're hungry and maybe dispatch a rabid racoon, but if I have to defend myself from anything or anyone I want something more substantial.

But if you want one, get one. I will, one of these days.

TrueBrit

imported post

I had a .22/.410 Savage Model 24 many years ago, back in the Old country, and it was more of a fun gun than anything. But I can see that these little tools like the Henry undoubtedly have their uses.

A Happy July 4 to all, and in particular to my friend of the Native American ironmongery above!I shall now go grill some burgers and dogs, and drink "Confusion to King George!";)

TrueBrit.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I really want a .22 but I'm scared to get one cuz $$$ don't grow on trees for me. And I don't want to make a mistake.

Any one have any suggestions ??? Model ??? Make ???

As for Hunting I've got a 44Mag Henry rifle (and a Vaquero in matching caliber:lol:) but a little bit too Heavy @ about Lb8.5 empty, but it could work.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
I had a .22/.410 Savage Model 24 many years ago, back in the Old country, and it was more of a fun gun than anything. But I can see that these little tools like the Henry undoubtedly have their uses.

A Happy July 4 to all, and in particular to my friend of the Native American ironmongery above!I shall now go grill some burgers and dogs, and drink "Confusion to King George!";)

TrueBrit.

Cheers Mate. Merry Drinking.

Unfortunately Drinking, Shooting and Driving don't mix:what:...:lol:...:celebrate

Happy 4th to you too

Tomahawk

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
I really want a .22 but I'm scared to get one cuz $$$ don't grow on trees for me. And I don't want to make a mistake.

Ruger 10/22. They're not expensive, they've been around forever, they're fun semi-autos, and there are tons of aftermarket accessories for them. My Dad has one of 1960s vintage and he gave me one as a gift in the mid 1990's, which is identical except for the buttplate and type of wood. Also, Ruger has pretty good cusomer service. I broke a small part on mine while disassembling it and Ruger sent me a replacement free of charge.

Henry also makes some nice aemiauto, pump and lever-action .22s for pretty cheap. My brother has a Henry semiauto tube-loader and a brass lever-action ("Goldenboy" maybe?). They're both nice.

ptmmatssc

imported post

I have one of the older AR-7S and love it . Keep it in one of my rucks with 200 rounds vac packed . Like the idea of having it when camping etc . Would rather use that than my carry piece for dispatching small game and the like . Actually had a game warden stop me out in the middle of nowhere and ask if I was armed . Told him about the Henry and he didn't seem concerned since it was completely apart in my ruck . He seemed more concerned that I was carrying a sidearm loaded .

That being said . The Henry is great for what it was intended for . And mine still shoots shotgun shells off of targets at 50 yds without a prob .

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

Ruger 10/22. They're not expensive, they've been around forever, they're fun semi-autos, and there are tons of aftermarket accessories for them. My Dad has one of 1960s vintage and he gave me one as a gift in the mid 1990's, which is identical except for the buttplate and type of wood. Also, Ruger has pretty good cusomer service. I broke a small part on mine while disassembling it and Ruger sent me a replacement free of charge.

Henry also makes some nice aemiauto, pump and lever-action .22s for pretty cheap. My brother has a Henry semiauto tube-loader and a brass lever-action ("Goldenboy" maybe?). They're both nice.
+1 on the 10-22....one of. if not the best for the money.
If you have need of a break-down type, may I suggest you look at the Marlin "Papoose"...they seem to be a little better made, overall, than the Henry.
I have one of each (10-22, the older AR-7 and the Marlin) and the AR-7 just seems a little frail in comparison....even though I've never had any problem with it.

compmanio365

imported post

I have a Remington 597, was $130. 10 shot semiauto, as long as you use high velocity, copper jacketed bullets with it, it is very reliable and pretty dang accurate. Was my first purchase after I turned 18. Would highly recommend.

AbNo

imported post

I'm a little ashamed to admit it, because I didn't do my research, but I've got a S&W 22-A that, after being properly sighted, will almost drive tacks (or maybe push pins :lol:) at just about any distance short of 150 yards.

It was about $230 for me.

Just don't lost that :cuss: plastic spacer when you take it apart....

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

Would anybody tell me why or why not, to get this rifle stached away in my Survival Back Pack.

If any Better suggestions, I'm all ears.

Would this be an over all good survival rifle. Hunting/Protection ???
A good overal survival rifle....

What are you planning surviving -- a bear attack no... zombies... no. If you got lost of stuck in the woods possibly.

You would definately be able to scare away a lot of critters, and bag a few small ones for yourself if need be, you might also be able to use it for defense at close ranges, and you would have to be very accurate with a .22 or put a boatload of holes in non vital areas...

I think at the price it is a great buy and logical for hikes/camping in addition to your normal carry rig.

However if you plan on hiking or camping without your normal carry right, I would go with an over/under combo like other have suggested.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

One of these days I'll get the Henry, but for now I'm happy with my M6 Scout.

Attachments

• DSCF0803.JPG
    DSCF0803.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 342

Opie

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

As for Hunting I've got a 44Mag Henry rifle (and a Vaquero in matching caliber:lol:) but a little bit too Heavy @ about Lb8.5 empty, but it could work.

It depends what you want it for. I'm definately in the Ruger 10/22 crowd, my FAVORITE toy is a stainless target model with a scope. It is deadly on groundhogs out to just over 100 yards with hot ammo like the CCI Stinger. It is also small enough to carry comfortably, and good for squirrel hunting with standard .22LR ammo. Ruger's customer service is great; I bought my gun used, and after several years realized that the bolt-stop pin was missing. I called to order the part, and they sent it to me at no charge. I also have a Ruger M77/Mark II in .243, which I like, but it is not as much fun as the 10/22.

If you want a cheap gun, you can get a 10/22 with iron sights and the plastic stock for (I'm guessing) about $150. I recommend a nicer stock, and the target trigger.

I like varmit hunting with smallbore rifles, and I've been thinking about upgrading to the .17HMR for extra range. If you want accuracy and distance, you might think about a single-shot rifle in the .17 or .22 Magnum. If you want to burn ammo and have lots of fun, stick with the .22LR.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Another option for a survival rifle would be the Matched Pair by Rossi. It is a single barrel breakaction with interchangable barrels in .22LR and either .410 or 20 gauge, however some larger calibers are available.
Breaks down into a pretty compact package too.
http://www.rossiusa.com/products/products-matchedpairs.cfm
I have one of these... http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=R223HB&category=RIFLE
and can say that, for the money ($130 slightly used), it's a decent rifle....kinda heavy for a survival rifle with the HB though......
My cousins' 2 boys both have a "triple" version...22lr, 20g, and .243....they seem to like them as well.

mercutio545

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

I got a savage arms .22 at Wal-mart a few years ago for 100 bucks. Fired at least a few thousand rounds through it. Never jammed or misfired. Great rifle.