Thread: Happy Independence Day, all!

Post imported post

John Adams

"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America.-I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding generations, as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shews, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this Continent to the other from this time forward forever more."
    *Note: Although the document known as the Declaration of Independence was adopted officially on July 4, Congress had in fact voted to declare independence on July 2...

Post imported post

Happy Birthday to fellow Americans!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Indeed, Happy Birthday and Happy Independence Day to all!

Post imported post

Post imported post

Beautiful...I need a tissue..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YE ALL.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Just a little trivia for everybody.

Abraham Lincoln considered the Declaration of Independence the important American document, as opposed to the Constitution.

He delivered the Gettysburg Address in 1863. "Four score and seven years ago..."

Do the math. Here, I'll help. 1863 minus 87 = 1776.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Okay, while watching History channel's Revolutionary War documentaries today, I was reminded of one of my favoritebadasses of the War for Independence:

Daniel Morgan

A New England backwoodsman who eventually settled in Virgina. Rose to the rank of general. During French and Indian War earned the nickname "Wagoner" because while driving a supply wagon for the British army, hepunched a British officer upside the face and was lashed for it. In Revolution led some Rebel forces in failed invasion of Quebec during December 1775. Later commanded 11th Virginia Continental Regiment and then a light infantry corps. His recruiting method for rifleman involved inducting only those men who could hit a picture of a British officer's head at 100 yds. Fought in two engagements at Saratoga, NY, then retired dur to back pain. Came out of retirement with the rank of major general to lead troops in the South under Nathaneal Greene, leading to his greatest victory, Battle of Cowpens, in which he routed crack British troops under the hated Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton. Back pain again forced retirement, but he later served again briefly during Whiskey Rebellion. Spent remainder of his days in Winchester, Virgina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Morgan

We could always use a few guys like this.

Who're your heroes of the AWI?