• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy Independence Day, all!

Tomahawk

imported post

John Adams

"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America.-I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding generations, as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shews, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this Continent to the other from this time forward forever more."
*Note: Although the document known as the Declaration of Independence was adopted officially on July 4, Congress had in fact voted to declare independence on July 2...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

22190097.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just a little trivia for everybody.

Abraham Lincoln considered the Declaration of Independence the important American document, as opposed to the Constitution.

He delivered the Gettysburg Address in 1863. "Four score and seven years ago..."

Do the math. Here, I'll help. 1863 minus 87 = 1776.

Tomahawk

imported post

Okay, while watching History channel's Revolutionary War documentaries today, I was reminded of one of my favoritebadasses of the War for Independence:

Daniel Morgan

160px-DanielMorgan.jpeg

A New England backwoodsman who eventually settled in Virgina. Rose to the rank of general. During French and Indian War earned the nickname "Wagoner" because while driving a supply wagon for the British army, hepunched a British officer upside the face and was lashed for it. In Revolution led some Rebel forces in failed invasion of Quebec during December 1775. Later commanded 11th Virginia Continental Regiment and then a light infantry corps. His recruiting method for rifleman involved inducting only those men who could hit a picture of a British officer's head at 100 yds. Fought in two engagements at Saratoga, NY, then retired dur to back pain. Came out of retirement with the rank of major general to lead troops in the South under Nathaneal Greene, leading to his greatest victory, Battle of Cowpens, in which he routed crack British troops under the hated Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton. Back pain again forced retirement, but he later served again briefly during Whiskey Rebellion. Spent remainder of his days in Winchester, Virgina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Morgan

We could always use a few guys like this.

Who're your heroes of the AWI?