• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where, When, and What Can I Carry?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Kingfish

imported post

lockman wrote:
Why does it have to be from thier home state? The statute referenced makes no such restriction.

Becouse this is the same guy who wrote "As odd as it may appear, it is legal in Michigan for a person to carry a pistol in public as long as it is carried with lawful intent and not concealed."

His bias is showing through all over the place and apparently he does not bother to read, understand, and desiminate.

mzbk2l

imported post

Kingfish, I'm not sure that is bias as much as it is simply reality. I grew up in Michigan, and open carry is extremely rare to see. Therefore, it really would appear odd to see a person doing so.

I'm not sure that stating that fact indicates bias, especially when the rest of the article went on to educate readers on the legality of open carry in Michigan.

It seemed like a pretty good read to me.

Kingfish

imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
Kingfish, I'm not sure that is bias as much as it is simply reality. I grew up in Michigan, and open carry is extremely rare to see. Therefore, it really would appear odd to see a person doing so.

I'm not sure that stating that fact indicates bias, especially when the rest of the article went on to educate readers on the legality of open carry in Michigan.

It seemed like a pretty good read to me.

What I was getting out of it was that he was saying that it was opdd that it is legal. I suposed he could be saying that open carry is odd...Not sure.

Michigander

imported post

Second, in the April edition we noted that a pistol cannot be carried in public where it violates local ordinance. This is true, but only where the ordinance is specifically authorized by state law.

In MRCGO v. Ferndale, the Michigan Court of Appeals held that local units of government may not impose restrictions upon firearms possession. Therefore, officers should check with their prosecutors before enforcing an ordinance that imposes a general ban on openly carrying a pistol.
[line]

What does that mean? Are there actually any ordinances prohibiting open carry that cities have made that are enforceable? That is one confusing way to define the law. If there are any such cities in Michigan the MSP really needs to list them.

Or does it mean that the only bans you can have are those already in place, such as in a theater or a bar? I've looked at the penal code and I've sure as hell never seen laws directly allowing an individual city to ban open carry.

Leader

imported post

Michigander wrote:

Second, in the April edition we noted that a pistol cannot be carried in public where it violates local ordinance. This is true, but only where the ordinance is specifically authorized by state law.

In MRCGO v. Ferndale, the Michigan Court of Appeals held that local units of government may not impose restrictions upon firearms possession. Therefore, officers should check with their prosecutors before enforcing an ordinance that imposes a general ban on openly carrying a pistol.

[line]

What does that mean? Are there actually any ordinances prohibiting open carry that cities have made that are enforceable? That is one confusing way to define the law. If there are any such cities in Michigan the MSP really needs to list them.

Or does it mean that the only bans you can have are those already in place, such as in a theater or a bar? I've looked at the penal code and I've sure as hell never seen laws directly allowing an individual city to ban open carry.
It means that even though some local units of government have tried to pass restrictions on carrying firearms, NONE of them are legal or enforceable.