• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KY Man Kills 15-Year-Old In Self-Defense

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I guess my complaint with this article is the complete disregardfor theimportant question of: Did TroyCole act in self-defense against a robbery attempt by Jordan Adams?

Theauthor simply does not deal with that question, preferring to work the sad sad youth killed just when he was turning his life around angle.

That angle is fine, really. But it falls apart if the answer to the important question above is "yes."

As it turns out, the murder charge against Cole has been promptly dropped, one day after it was initiated. Seems that witnessscorraborated his story.

So, it is not a sad sad youth killed just when he was turning his life around story after all...

The kid met a reasonably predictable outcome. Rob a guy with gun and, well, you just may get shot.

Teens in trouble

Monday, July 2, 2007

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A 19-year-old charged with shooting and killing another teenager over the weekend made his first court appearance Monday.

Troy Cole is charged with murder and tampering with evidence in the shooting death of 15-year-old Jordan Adams.

Cole’s bond was set at one million dollars. Cole claims he shot Adams because he was trying to rob him at gunpoint early Sunday morning.

Jordan Adams was just 15 years old -- a tragic and sad ending to a young man who had faced trouble before. There was an effort underway to help get him off the streets and his life back on track.

Adams was a high school dropout who ran away from home about two months ago. But his family was trying to pull him back and he was scheduled to set up a “life plan” with a counselor from Operation Hope here at the Boys & Girls Club on Saturday afternoon. But he didn't show up. And by Sunday morning, he was dead.

“He basically indicated he was ready to change things around and that he felt like he didn't have any kind of firm footing,” says Operation Hope’s Eddie Woods.

I met with Woods in the parking lot where he waited for Jordan Adams on Saturday. Jordan was one of 81 young men involved in the program, which is geared toward getting young men off the streets.

“We had all the pieces pretty much in place,” he says. “We had community-based services, his family was pretty much tuned in. They seemed to me to feel like they had a limited amount of time, like they were on the clock.”

The clock stopped for Jordan Adams five months shy of his 16th birthday. He is the second Operation Hope teenager program to be shot the death. The first, Darryl Head, was slain in October.

Woods says about a dozen more have been shot and wounded and twelve others are behind bars. But four are entering college this fall, so there is hope.

“So we got to identify the conditions and address the conditions… Living conditions, lifestyle, enhancing life skills, support networks.”

Woods sent out an e-mail to his Operation Hope supporters just hours after Jordan was gunned down Sunday morning, saying, “We didn't get to Jordan soon enough. Hug a child.”

The family of Jordan Adams is expected at a 7 p.m. vigil Monday night to talk about the issue of runaways. The group Unified Women Against Street Violence is organizing the vigil near the crime scene at the Maplewood Apartments on Beechbrook Road.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/070207whasmjdLocalOperationHope.37c20aa9.html#

BIG SHAFE

imported post

Wow, it's almost condoning him robbing another person at gunpoint.

It's amazing how many people care, after the fact. Common sense people!:banghead:

Malarky

imported post

He sure wanted to turn his life around... even decided he would go do a "community service" instead of going to his meeting.

30 cal slut

imported post

i've got no beef with the shoot.

but where were the parents of this kid?

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Bolt06

imported post

nice point Malarky
He sure wanted to turn his life around... even decided he would go do a "community service" instead of going to his meeting
I caught that too.. that he missed his appointment and went instead the next morning to stick a gun in someones face. sounds like a change of heart never happened inside him like the article is trying to portray. My question now is what is going to happen to the 19 year old since all the bleeding hearts have rallied behind there "victim."

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I am f""ing tired of this B""S""!!!:cuss:This kid had an early history of violence and legal confrontation, yet because his family called the left wing news in their little BS part of the People's Republic of North America, another young man's life has now been marred for life. I can't tell you if this 19 Y/O is a good person, or even a model citizen. What I can tell you is that if he had a prior record, the news people would have posted it everywhere how a criminal is out walking the streets with a known criminal, aka: a gun. This leads me to believe that this guy lives in a place i don't want my family to go visit, where 15 Y/O kids are armed robbers and repeat offenders, and law abiding citizens get the book thrown at them for protecting themselves. F"" that, and F"" the system!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

If I didn't know any better, I'd think I just read an item in the Washington Compost, er Post.

Turn his life around. Just about to head in the right direction. Yep, a load of BS for sure. This 15 year old knew exactly what he was doing and why. His big mistake is that he chose someone who decided that things were not going to be "business as usual".

The fact is that people like our little deceased 15 year old are where they are because they took a conscious decision to get there. It may not have been the end they desire, but their actions put them there. People take decisions all the time, some of which are foolish. This is a case in point.

Feeling sorry for such folly is as foolish as the folly itself.

S GARDNER

imported post

:(#1 I am very sick and tired of people giving their opions about my baby brother, when you people have no clue of the entire situation. No one knew what he went through. My father was killed before my brother was even born.didn't really have a mother figure.That's only a tiny piece of the problems he went through. He struggled for 15 years of his life. When you feel as though you don't have anybody as a child. it's easy to get caught up in the streets, or gangs or what have you. No i'm not saying he was right, but he was trying to find a place to fit in, all he wanted was love and some where to belong. He was murdered and the thought of this person that shot him in the head and twice in the chest sickens me to my stomache. Not only that left the scene, and left him there to die, and also hidthe gun and failed to turn himself in . Self defense I think not.some sort of Altercation yes.There are two sides of every story, and the dead man can't defend himself.If you felt you did something out of self defense, wouldn't you come forth and defend your honor. He couldn't even take the time to apologize. But you know what at the end of the day he has to deal with those demons, and deal with god for his actions. None of you people knew what kind of person my baby brother was. He was a beautiful person, kind hearted, willing to help anybody. Played basketball, football he had dreams, big dreams.Of being something and being somebody great. It's sad he never got that chance. It's not his fault he didn't have stability, He got hooked in this game called the life. Struggles were the cards he had been dealt, But he's in a far better place now, he doesn't have to struggle, or cry anymore tears, or have anymore fears. only God judge my baby brother. His soul is at peace. You guys are titled to your own opinions, but don't judge when you only know one side of the story. My baby brother was not a bad person or some kind of monster you all are making him seem to be. He was just a baby, And you think it's ok for someone to take his life away, and make jokes. This is real sick, and cruel. This is why these young people have to guidence and think that no one cares about them look at how society looks at them and treats them. Like there nobody, like there just another poor excuse. You people have no respect. And it hurts not only that my baby brother is gone, but he wanted a second chance and he never got that chance. Because he was set up,and murdered. How would you feel, if it was your son, your brother, your grandson. 15 years old, left to die, take his last breath alone. Nobody to even help save his life.As adults, and young adults, we should build from this and ask ourselves what can we do to make these young people better. What can we do to make better parents, what can we do to save these babies who are losing thier lives over nothing. These are children, and they can't help who their parents are and struggles they have been left to deal with in their lives. I love you Jordan, May your soul rest in peace.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

S GARDNER wrote:
:(#1 I am very sick and tired of people giving their opions about my baby brother, when you people have no clue of the entire situation. No one knew what he went through. My father was killed before my brother was even born.didn't really have a mother figure.That's only a tiny piece of the problems he went through. He struggled for 15 years of his life. When you feel as though you don't have anybody as a child. it's easy to get caught up in the streets, or gangs or what have you. No i'm not saying he was right, but he was trying to find a place to fit in, all he wanted was love and some where to belong. He was murdered and the thought of this person that shot him in the head and twice in the chest sickens me to my stomache. Not only that left the scene, and left him there to die, and also hidthe gun and failed to turn himself in . Self defense I think not.some sort of Altercation yes.There are two sides of every story, and the dead man can't defend himself.If you felt you did something out of self defense, wouldn't you come forth and defend your honor. He couldn't even take the time to apologize. But you know what at the end of the day he has to deal with those demons, and deal with god for his actions. None of you people knew what kind of person my baby brother was. He was a beautiful person, kind hearted, willing to help anybody. Played basketball, football he had dreams, big dreams.Of being something and being somebody great. It's sad he never got that chance. It's not his fault he didn't have stability, He got hooked in this game called the life. Struggles were the cards he had been dealt, But he's in a far better place now, he doesn't have to struggle, or cry anymore tears, or have anymore fears. only God judge my baby brother. His soul is at peace. You guys are titled to your own opinions, but don't judge when you only know one side of the story. My baby brother was not a bad person or some kind of monster you all are making him seem to be. He was just a baby, And you think it's ok for someone to take his life away, and make jokes. This is real sick, and cruel. This is why these young people have to guidence and think that no one cares about them look at how society looks at them and treats them. Like there nobody, like there just another poor excuse. You people have no respect. And it hurts not only that my baby brother is gone, but he wanted a second chance and he never got that chance. Because he was set up,and murdered. How would you feel, if it was your son, your brother, your grandson. 15 years old, left to die, take his last breath alone. Nobody to even help save his life.As adults, and young adults, we should build from this and ask ourselves what can we do to make these young people better. What can we do to make better parents, what can we do to save these babies who are losing thier lives over nothing. These are children, and they can't help who their parents are and struggles they have been left to deal with in their lives. I love you Jordan, May your soul rest in peace.

Did Jordan Adams try to forcibly rob Troy Cole?

If the answer is yes, then the kid met a reasonably predictable outcome. Rob a guy with gun and, well, you just may get shot.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

You, Mr. Gardner, are incorrect at assuming that your little brother (if you truly are his brother, and not just another troll arguing against self defense) is the only boy born into a situation that involves struggles from day one. Many people in this world, even on this forum, have had hard lives from the beginning. Parentless, kids born into loveless homes, etc. But not all have gone the same route as your brother. Even if he made a few mistakes early, the evidence shows (and you have stated) that he was given a second chance. He blew it and paid the ultimate price. Darwinism is alive and well.

As for the victim of this crime: not everyone knows what to do in the event of a justified shooting. People found in a high stress situation react with instinct rather than reason. His isntinct told him that he was a black man who just shot someone, therefore he had to hide. It's just the way that someone without the proper training reacted to this situation.

Your brother didn't have a choice?I disagree. He made his choice. And God will be his judge.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

If you are prepared to rob someone, be prepared to be shot. Don't do the crime, and you won't have to pay the price. And by the way, everybody gives the same story whenever someone who is anything but a model citizen gets killed: He was trying to turn his life around, he was a good kid...etc. Sorry, but robbing someone is not a way to turn your life around, and a "good" kid wouldn't be doing something like that.

I understand that the media does put a spin on things, and their account might not be accurate, but there are many similar stories every day throughout the nation.

And S. Gardener, if that is really you who wrote the post, and it is not a troll (which it probably is)I am truly sorry for your loss, but learna lesson from it, and teach other kids in the neighborhood that they shouldn't rob people at gunpoint.

Legba

imported post

Mr. Gardner, it is not for me to save your baby brother, or anyone else, from bad choices he made. It is as simple as that, I'm afraid. I personally knowa Holocaust survivor whose family perished at Auschwitz and who himself was only saved by being a prodigy (violin player) who performed for the amusement of Herr Hoess (commandant of the camp). He became an accomplished musician and professor of music as an adult.

This man, who is old now and has significant health problems attendant upon old age, waits his turn in line, says 'please' and 'thank you,' and is at all times a man of great dignity and patience. There is at least one street named for him in Israel and he is admired throughout the world. Big deal? Maybe not in the great scheme of things, but if anyone has cause to be pissed off at the world, it is he, only he isn't. I admit of nobody else having any excuse either.

I consider myself a "leftie" politically in most respects, but my heart does not bleed for people who victimize others. If he was trying to improve himself, then that's commendable. He should have tried harder. I take no pleasure in the fact that anyone died over this, but neither do I waste my pity on victims of their own folly.

-ljp