Thread: Question about CPL/Handgun age requirements

Post imported post

Hey guys, this is my 1st post, so bear with me here...

As far as I know, the minimum age required to purchase rifles and shotguns in Washingtonis 18. Is there a minimum age required for handguns/CPLs?

Is it possible to legally own a handgun (be over 18?) and yet not be able to legally CC (age requirement?).

But then, what do you do if you are OCing and a LEO tells you to conceal your weapon...

Yep, bunches of questions.

Post imported post

I can quickly answer a couple of them without looking up laws:

Age to get a WA CPL: 21
    Age to purchase a handgun: 21

Now, I think there's some law that allows ownership of handguns between 18-21, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you can own it, you can OC it. When they tell you to Conceal, inform them that they're instructing you to commit a felony (concealing without a Concealed Pistol License) and if they wish to continue on that course, you'd like to speak to their supervisor immediately.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:

Now, I think there's some law that allows ownership of handguns between 18-21, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you can own it, you can OC it. When they tell you to Conceal, inform them that they're instructing you to commit a felony (concealing without a Concealed Pistol License) and if they wish to continue on that course, you'd like to speak to their supervisor immediately.
    Don't mix up the questions - see the "Age to OC" map to answer your question on min age to OC. this can often be differnet that min age to own, and min age to buy. 3 questions may get you 3 diff answers in each state.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:

Don't mix up the questions - see the "Age to OC" map to answer your question on min age to OC. this can often be differnet that min age to own, and min age to buy. 3 questions may get you 3 diff answers in each state.
    Since he lives in Washington, I would assume he is asking about Washington. My daughter has had her own handgun in her name since she was 18. Before that she used one of her mothers. She applied for and got her CCW right after her 21 birthday. Even though for home protection she prefers her Mossberg 500 youth model 20 ga. with number 3 buck shot. The pistol is for traveling local or away from home.

Post imported post

Thanks for the help guys! I clearly need to do some more research :shock: