• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you know if you are in condition White? Watch this video.

vrwmiller

imported post

Very interesting. As I watched this, I was reminded of a book I am reading called "Fear Less" by Gavin De Becker. In it he explains that one need not focus on strange things because one's intuition will automatically pick these things up...

My son and I watched the video at the same time...we both failed miserably. Had we not focused on counting the passes, we would have seen it...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I don't know if that's really as impressive as it seems. The point is is that you tell your brain to filter out everything but the thing you want to focus on...so obviously something that almost completely resembles the thing you're trying to ignore isn't going to catch your attention. Had they mentioned "keep a look out for anything odd..." then things might have been different.

It's a neat trick, but it makes perfect sense.

mzbk2l

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I don't know if that's really as impressive as it seems. The point is is that you tell your brain to filter out everything but the thing you want to focus on...so obviously something that almost completely resembles the thing you're trying to ignore isn't going to catch your attention. Had they mentioned "keep a look out for anything odd..." then things might have been different.

It's a neat trick, but it makes perfect sense.
True, but what if you're at a convention or some gathering with security or some kind of staff around, and a person starts acting crazy? Everyone will pay attention to the crazy person, and a real BG dressed as security or staff could pretty much walk around unimpeded.

It's been working for magicians for hundreds of years.... :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I use this and many other examples in the Mindset course I teach. It is really about the difference between the various processing sites in the brain. If you are devoting a lot of energy to calculating and watching for a specific thing to be calculated, you do not have enough left over to pick up on other things.

Regards

Tomahawk

imported post

GET YOUR STINKING PAWS OFF ME, YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!

ch-apes9a.jpg

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Oh great no you made me think of a whole slew of possible names for the OC monkey. Doctor Zaius, Cornelius, Col. Taylor, Caesar...

Tomahawk

imported post

Dr. Zaius even has his own song from the Simpsons, sung to the tune of Rock Me, Amadeus by Falco:

Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius
3F15 - 24th March 1996

[All] Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Oh, Dr Zaius
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
[Troy] What's wrong with me?
[Dr Zaius] I think you're crazy
[Troy] I want a second opinion
[Dr Zaius] You're also lazy
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Oh, Dr Zaius
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
[Troy] Can I play the piano anymore?
[Dr Zaius] Of course you can
[Troy] Well, I couldn't before
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Oh, Dr Zaius
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius!
Oh, Dr Zaius

We need an OC Monkey version of this song...

cato

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I use this and many other examples in the Mindset course I teach. It is really about the difference between the various processing sites in the brain. If you are devoting a lot of energy to calculating and watching for a specific thing to be calculated, you do not have enough left over to pick up on other things.

Regards
This was shown in a training class about 3-4 years ago?. I had forgot about it and failed again! Remembered it whenI saw the ape.:banghead:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Wow not only do you suffer from 'inattentive blindness', you also suffer from CRS.

just_a_car

imported post

Wow... I'd never seen that before, but saw the oddity on the first pass. Must've been cause I was Carrying tonight about 2 hours ago. :p:celebrate

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cato wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards
This was shown in a training class about 3-4 years ago?.  I had forgot about it and failed again!  Remembered it when I saw the ape.:banghead:

You ever hear of LEVA? If so, you ever take any training from them? Or perhaps the NA?

DeerForce1

imported post

I thought that was a distraction in an attempt to make you lose count of the passes. So how many passes did you guys count. I got 17...........................................................................DF1

(edit to not give it away)

cato

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
You ever hear of LEVA? If so, you ever take any training from them? Or perhaps the NA?

Not that I'm aware of but my memory and observation skills were just proven faulty! My dept only uses CA POST courses.