• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

41Mag vs. 44Mag

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I have a 44mag Carbine and Pistol, and I just recentlyheard about the 41Mag Caliber and I wonder why I would get any firearms in this Caliber and what the real difference is?

???:idea:???

Legba

imported post

The .41 is a nice caliber handgun, but the ammo is expensive, because it never really got much market share. Plan on reloading your own if you get one. In any case, I don't see any advantage in having both a .41 and a .44, unless you're a collector as such - I don't think they're greatly different.

-ljp

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
I have a 44mag Carbine and Pistol, and I just recentlyheard about the 41Mag Caliber and I wonder why I would get any firearms in this Caliber and what the real difference is?

My take on it is that the .41 mag is pretty much not necessary. The .44 mag will do it all.And a combo .44 mag revo and carbine is a fantastic SD system.

.41 mag ammo is more expensive and not often available at stores. Wal-Mart doesn't even carry it! :D

That said, collectors love .41 mag revos, especially Smiths. I'm not acollector but I just had to have one, so a some time ago I got me a S&W M 57 and it's a fine gun and a lot of fun to shoot.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Yea. I really like My Ruger Vaquero 44Mag 5'5 (old style) to complement the Henry 44Mag rifle (the Big Boy).

I picked this set-up cuz I can legally hunt pretty much any animal in Utah with this Caiber. I like to be close up to the animals that I hunt and not stand a mile or two away too take down an elk. Personally I don't feel that that's a fair deal to animal

tarzan1888

imported post

An interesting side note.

When they were filming the original Dirty Harry movie, with Clint Eastwood, there were no S&W .44 magnums available, so a .41 magnum was substituted by the props department.

This means that when Harry said ~ "I know what your thinking punk, did he shoot five or six times. To tell you the truth I can't remember my self, but this is a .44 magnum. The most powerful handgun in the world and it will blow your head clean off, and what you have to ask yourself punk is , do I feel lucky. Well do ya punk?", he was really holding a .41 magnum which was, at that time, the second most powerful handgun in the world. :what: