• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What the hell?

OCed H and K

imported post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/15/AR2005091502356.html

Small N.Va. Town's Top Officer Disarmed by Restraining Order
Domestic Case Could Hobble Haymarket Police

By Ian ShapiraWashington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 16, 2005; Page B01

For the past two weeks, Sgt. Gregory Breeden has been running the tiny Haymarket Police Department in Prince William County. But he's been doing it without a gun. The hatchet incident is the latest controversy to confront Breeden and the nine-officer department in the past two months. This summer, the Haymarket Town Council suspended the popular sergeant and Chief James E. Roop without pay but has not explained why, saying the actions were a confidential personnel matter.
Roop, whose annual salary is $56,808, and Breeden, who earns $44,000, returned to work in July after being suspended for 15 days. Roop is expected back on the job Monday from a separate, paid leave. Meanwhile, a Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court judge in Warren County is scheduled to decide today whether to extend Tina Breeden's protective order for as much as two years.

The incident that led to the protective order "was pretty terrifying," said Kristen Carter, 19, who said her stepfather removed the entire door. She said Breeden was warned that the family had called police. "He said, 'They're not going to do anything anyway.' "

The Breedens, Roop and Tina Breeden's attorney, Georgia Rossiter, declined to comment or did not return phone calls. The names were redacted in the affidavit filed for the protective order, but sources familiar with the case said it was filed by Tina Breeden.

Town Council member James Tobias said the private domestic dispute will become a serious public concern if the protective order is extended.

"I know I am personally concerned about this," Tobias said. "The concern here is that if a judge finds there is a legitimate reason to have [an extended] protective order issued, then Breeden therefore can't carry a weapon and serve in the full capacity. Where do our responsibilities lie with our citizens?"

For about the past two weeks, the town's mayor said, Breeden, 46, has been in charge -- without a weapon -- while the chief has been on paid leave to tend to his sick daughter. For now, Breeden is on desk duty, catching up on paperwork and evaluating equipment, Mayor Pamela Stutz said.

"He's not driving his car, and he can't arrest anyone," Stutz said. "If I felt that he was going to take an ax to me or the town, I wouldn't have him on desk duty. I don't feel that he's any danger to the town."

Police officers said they are suffering from low morale but don't want to talk publicly about the flap, fearing retaliation.

The incidents that led to the restraining order began Aug. 8, when Gregory Breeden called his stepdaughter at work, allegedly making threats, according to Carter and the affidavit.

At the time, Breeden and his wife were living at the same Warren County residence but in separate quarters that had different locks, said Capt. Norman Shiflett of the Warren County Sheriff's Office. The next day, Breeden allegedly used the hatchet to knock down the kitchen door leading into his estranged wife's part of the house.

In her affidavit, Tina Breeden wrote that she and her family were "placed in fear of bodily harm" when her husband allegedly began using the hatchet. Police were called, but no arrest was made because there was no evidence of physical injury, Shiflett said. "There is no crime in damaging your own property," he said.

Stutz and Town Council member Robert Weir, who serves as the police department's liaison, declined to comment on the protective order filed against Breeden, saying it was a personnel issue. They said Breeden, like Roop, is well regarded in the community.

The officers are known for giving out their personal cell phone numbers to concerned business owners, stopping their vehicles to chat with residents and teaching self-defense courses to women, according to officials and residents.

The mayor said the chief has been on paid leave for the past two weeks because he has been tending to his daughter, who has leukemia. Stutz said she is trying to organize a bone marrow screening in the town in support of Roop's family.

The suspensions and the protective order, she said, mar the town's reputation because the incidents have fueled an array of half-truths and rumor. "The worst part about it, the thing that bothers me, is the gossip that spreads," Stutz said. "People are interested and want to know all the details, but sometimes you cannot disclose that."

Serious crime is not a big problem in the incorporated town of about 1,000 people. It has only a few retail stores and restaurants, and the speed limit is 25 mph.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Lautenberg Act, no guns for wife beaters. For gun control at least it is equally applied. BTW did you just see this on ARFCOM?

OCed H and K

imported post

Yeah I think someone posted up asking about an axe attack. Sometime somewhere they got some misinformation and were actually talking about this.

I know no guns for wifebeaters, I just don't understand still allowing him to work while not being able to defend himself as a police officer.

EDIT: lol Didn't realize at first but you're actually the one who posted it on AR15.

LEO 229

imported post

OCed H and K wrote:
Yeah I think someone posted up asking about an axe attack. Sometime somewhere they got some misinformation and were actually talking about this.

I know no guns for wifebeaters, I just don't understand still allowing him to work while not being able to defend himself as a police officer.

The sad thing is thatlaw banning firearm possession by convicted family abusers is retroactive!!

So those convicted 20 years prior and no longer pose family threats were screwed! :X

This placed several LEO Jobs in jeopardy.

cs9c1

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The sad thing is thatlaw banning firearm possession by convicted family abusers is retroactive!!

So those convicted 20 years prior and no longer family threats were screwed! :X

This placed several LEO Jobs in jeopardy.

We discharged 5 from my Unit at Ft Carson when the law came about. It is kind of hard to be a soldier when you can't touch a firearm :?.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

OCed H and K wrote:

EDIT: lol Didn't realize at first but you're actually the one who posted it on AR15.

If a police Officer in England or Norway can work without a Gun so can he I guess ???:what:

If they don't feel that he can fulfill his duties as a police officer to protect and serve thew public he needs to resign.

If he has such a temper that the Judge possibly will extend the Order by 2 more years I don't feel that he would be safe to society either. But what do I know. I really don't know any specifics about the case but hope that Justice will prevail whatever it is.

"Meanwhile, a Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court judge in Warren County is scheduled to decide today whether to extend Tina Breeden's protective order for as much as two years."

LEO 229

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
If a police Officer in England or Norway can work without a Gun so can he I guess ???:what:

If they don't feel that he can fulfill his duties as a police officer to protect and serve thew public he needs to resign.

If he has such a temper that the Judge possibly will extend the Order by 2 more years I don't feel that he would be safe to society either. But what do I know. I really don't know any specifics about the case but hope that Justice will prevail whatever it is.

"Meanwhile, a Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court judge in Warren County is scheduled to decide today whether to extend Tina Breeden's protective order for as much as two years."

Actually.. You can work as a LEO and not need a gun. Desk duty pushing paperwork where no arrests need to happen. But for a department... to actually have such a position is unlikely.

Furthermore... Just because a LEO and their spouse are having marital problems does not mean they will treat the public poorly.

There is always the chance that a divorce is going to be dirty and one will make life hard for the other any way possible. Such as restraining orders and calling the police for alleged complaints.

LEO 229

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Um..... did anybody check the date on that article?

I think the fact that this is retroactive is BS!!

I obviously feel the same way....

That is just like forever revoking everyone drivers license that had ever been convicted for reckless driving.

In court, you decided not to fight it since it was just a fine and no jail. Now 15 years later you discover your getting punished a second time. Too bad your job required you to drive. Now you have to find a new job.

I know of people who plead guilty for domestic assault when it never really happened. They just wanted to get the case over with since it was not a big deal.... Now they are wishing they had fought it!!

00 17 00

UTOC-45-44

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Um..... did anybody check the date on that article?

I think the fact that this is retroactive is BS!!

I obviously feel the same way....

That is just like forever revoking everyone drivers license that had ever been convicted for reckless driving.

In court, you decided not to fight it since it was just a fine and no jail. Now 15 years later you discover your getting punished a second time. Too bad your job required you to drive. Now you have to find a new job.

I know of people who plead guilty for domestic assault when it never really happened. They just wanted to get the case over with since it was not a big deal.... Now they are wishing they had fought it!!

00 17 00

Well...,

"...trying to break down their kitchen door with a hatchet and making threats against the family."

I feel that if he can do this to People that he loves...what then can he do to People he could care less about ( the Public and the rudeness that can be dished out sometimes and the stress that he will encounter in Public )?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
"...trying to break down their kitchen door with a hatchet and making threats against the family."

I feel that if he can do this to People that he loves...what then can he do to People he could care less about ( the Public and the rudeness that can be dished out sometimes and the stress that he will encounter in Public )?

Good question. The guy is a hothead.

Hotheads always find a way to get, um, hot about something.

And they always find rationales for their hotheadedness. Usually, they justmake them up.

I'dsayif the judgebelieves that a 2 year extension is warranted to protect the woman's life and health, thecop's job situation is not a relevant factor.

But the pressure will be on the judge to cave. Pity.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

HankT wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Good question. The guy is a hothead.

Hotheads always find a way to get, um, hot about something.

And they always find rationales for their hotheadedness. Usually, they justmake them up.

I'dsayif the judgebelieves that a 2 year extension is warranted to protect the woman's life and health, thecop's job situation is not a relevant factor.

But the pressure will be on the judge to cave. Pity.

I can agree that the Cops job situation may not be a relevant factor but rather his temper in fulfilling his duties as a Cop.

Something "could" go against him what he wants or likes and since he can't be in possession of a firearm he's around plenty of them and can "VA Tech" on the station or something:what:.

But my .45 only

possumboy

imported post

OCed H and K wrote:

Why should a LEO be treated differently? If the law says no gun for you, why does it make a difference what the person does for a living?

If he cannot perform his job because of it, get another job. There shouldn't be a double standard between the LEOs and non-LEOs.

OCed H and K

imported post

possumboy wrote:
OCed H and K wrote:

Why should a LEO be treated differently? If the law says no gun for you, why does it make a difference what the person does for a living?

If he cannot perform his job because of it, get another job. There shouldn't be a double standard between the LEOs and non-LEOs.
Yeah that's neat and all but you're basically telling me what I already said. Why just take his gun away, if he's such a threat why is he still working?

possumboy

imported post

OCed H and K wrote:
Yeah that's neat and all but you're basically telling me what I already said. Why just take his gun away, if he's such a threat why is he still working?

The main reason he is still working is because of the number of LEO that would lose their job over domestic violence.

http://www.purpleberets.org/violence_police_families.html

At the bottom is a link to recent news reports on the subject, and Google returns several stories about domestic violence with law enforcement.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

That was an astonishing report. I had no idea ???:what:

The very people that we trust with our lives are that violent in their private life ???

Can I say...Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde:shock:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
That was an astonishing report. I had no idea ???:what:

The very people that we trust with our lives are that violent in their private life ???

Can I say...Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde:shock:

It is worse than that. Who should the victim of domestic violence call for help when the incident occurs? Her husbands "objective" coworkers?

regards