• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Prince William County

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
It's just that since I have CC'd for so long, I have not yet quite gotten to the point of OC'ing.. kind of a difficult transition for me, believe it or not. But one day, perhaps sooner than later (maybe try it this weekend), I'm going to go for it and see how it feels. One of the members, I think it was hawkflyer commented on how much better it was in the heat of the summer months than having the gun's frame up against your warm (and maybe sweaty) skin. This is a very good argument for OC'ing during this time of year I should think.
Send me a PM if you'd like company.  I OC around PWC/Manassas every time I walk out of the house.

I have to go to Warrenton in the late morning, but if you guys want, we could meet for coffee somewhere in town around 9. Or we could hook up in the afternoon, say after 2. Let me know. Come "heeled" or not, makes no difference.

Regards

VAopencarry

imported post

Is your "undisclosed location" north, east, south, or west of Manassas?

shhhhh, it's secret. :)

a little west/south?, just far enough to be out of reach of Manassas PD!!!

OC'd to /from work stopped at 7-11, encountered PW Deputy, nothing happened. OC'd at the grocery store on a road whose name I do not know.

IanB

imported post

Not PW, but Ffx Co...

OC'd in plain view of a parked PD cruiser while walking down the street in Annandale 2 hours ago. Walked right beside his passenger door, was so close I could see the laptop screen in his car.

OC'd inside the 7-11 at Hummer Rd and Little River Turnpike.

No problems to report. No stares or comments.

Dressed in shorts and a Led Zeppelin t-shirt, full sized HK USP .45T in right hand Serpa holster.

possumboy

imported post

OC'ed in front of a PWC cruiser. Got the older kids out of the van and watch them go into class. Closed the door and parked.

Walked up and down the sidewalk so the littlest one would be tired for bedtime for about 20 minutes after checking on the elder siblings.

Scheetz

imported post

OC in Chipotle on Prince William Parkway. No issues, PW officer never said a word to me.

Never had anyone else say anything to me either no matter where I have gone.

AbNo

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
It's just that since I have CC'd for so long, I have not yet quite gotten to the point of OC'ing.. kind of a difficult transition for me, believe it or not. But one day, perhaps sooner than later (maybe try it this weekend), I'm going to go for it and see how it feels.

First time to OC was this week....
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3330.html

Also, see my thread about spawning a Unicorn (unafiliated OC'er) this week.

And all the smart-arse comments that go with it. :lol:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3386.html

Neither of us has a CHP/CCW/WTF(rick) ever. I just looked him in the eye, and said "How do you feel about Open Carry?".

He hasn't looked back since. I've been quite happy, as well.

AbNo

imported post

BobCav wrote:
I always have a hard time OC'ing at Target.  Too many of those damn bullseyes!!!  The temptation is too great!

Bah, why can't we have signatures on this forum? I'd sig that in a minute! :lol:

vrwmiller

imported post

I OC'd at Rita's Ice in the western end of the county in the K-Mart shopping center. I do so here all the time as I enjoy going to Rita's. There are often PWCPD vehicles sitting in the parking lot, typically over by the bank. Today was no different...PWCPD was in the parking lot over by the bank.

After I got my delicious frozen treat, my family and I decided to sit outside and enjoy. It was a very nice evening.

So, we sat outside and the LEO then went into motion...he passed by in front of us as we were seated on an outdoor bench. As he passed by, he was being very obvious about looking. He then circled yet again. Then he decided to park not too far away and in sight.

By this time, I really believed he was keeping a close eye on me. After a few minutes, he decided to circle again. So, he drives around and circles. He then went around the back side of the shopping center and emerged on the other side and parked in view and in direct line of sight. It was at this time, I decided to take a walk...

So, we walked up to the 7-11 down the way. As we were walking he drove right on by and the proceeded to park near the 7-11. We were inside for a few minutes. I exited the store and he remained parked in view of the door. Being done with our italian ice and having picked up a couple things at the 7-11, we left.

There was no incident. He never approached and we never spoke. While I believe he circled me and was keeping an eye out, I don't really know for sure. He could have just been scoping the place out making sure no crime was afoot.

There was a :what: look from a couple as we were entering Rita's and as we were exiting, we ran into one of my son's former teachers who took notice of the arm, but did not have any sort of adverse reaction.

None of the people that work there ever say anything. They're used to it by now, I have been going there for several months and everytime I have been OC'ing.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ok, I finally did it. I OC'd this morning! Can't believe I crossed that threshold. Here's the scoop.

Costco, Manassas: I need to upgrade the shredder in my study and Costco was my first target. As usual, I CC'd there. No shredder purchase but did get some dried Mangos for the wife and "The Reagan Diaries" for me.

Staples, Manassas: The first victim of my "coming out" (good Lord, hope that one doesn't send the wrong signal). Walking across the parking lot (being car-anal, I always park away from other vehicles to protect my machine) I passed by two ladies who were just talking. They either didn't notice, or they didn't care. Into the store which was kind of busy. I wandered around for maybe5 or 6minutes until I asked someone where their shredder display was. Talked to a manager briefly about shredders, then left to check out the next victim. No one in said anything nor did I perceive any stares or such.

Office Depot, Manassas: Again, wandered around and found the shredders quickly. Puzzled over them, then asked floor manager(??) if he had a certain one in stock, which he got for me. Made it to the checkout counter (only one operating). There was alady in front of me with with her two children. After a few minutes, she leaned over to me and said,

She- My son just said, 'he has a gun"

Me -Well, yes.. this is Virginia and I'm a native Virginian". (yes. I was most polite and genteel).

She - I think it's good to have guns around in case something happens.

Me - This doesn't bother you, does it? (referring to my sidearm).

She - No, I think people should be able to protect themselves.

No one else in Office Depot made any remarks, nor did I see anyone gaulking.

Target, Gainesville: Again, looking to see what they had in shredders. Nothing of interest. No one seemed to pay any attention.

Amoco (BP), Somerset: Getting gas. The line inside was long and took a bit of time. No one said or made any overt jestures.

So, my first "real" time out was a non-event. Funny,it felt similar to what I felt the first time I carried concealed. A little self-conscious at first. Another thing I noticed. A desire to go out of my way to be polite and nice (I generally am most always, anyway). But this was more due to the fact of wanting to portray a positive image of those who chose to OC.

The positives: I was dressed in jeans and a nice golf shirt not tucked in. When OC'ing, theshirt keeps the gun from embracing your skin which on hot days, can promote sweat and chafing. A bit more freedom.

Negatives: You become a target if you are OC'ing when an armed robbery begins and the perps don't notice your piece until after they have commenced their actions. My advice to this would be to discreetly conceal your gun so as not to invite their attention.

Finally, I'm over the hump now and I'll definitely do this again. God loves Virginia and he likes us armed as well,I suspect.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OUTSTANDING

Not only was it a NONEVENT it was an outstandingly POSITIVE event. Imaging running into some who GETS IT on you first outing.

Now see, aren't you wondering what all the hubbub is about?

Good work

Regards

SouthernBoy

imported post

Thank you both. .hawkflyer and Citizen. I had written early on this thread that I had OC'd a long time ago into a breakfast restaurant jsut before going out on a hunt. I would say at least half of the men in that establishment were carrying side arms.. a few had brought their long guns in from their vehicles. This was in Front Royal.

Moving the clock up to present times, here is my take on all of this. I was the second person in Arlington County to receive my CCW permit in 1995 after Gov. Allen signed the "shall issue" bill into law (thank you Virgil Goode). I was amazed how I was treated in Arlington when picking up my permit, knowing the nature of the demographics in that county. The people at the court house could not have been nicer and more accomodating. I found that as I started carrying on a regular basis, the novelty of it disintergrated, however, I continued to feel, as I still do, an obligation to conduct myself above the general public. Not only because of the potential deadly responsibility, but also to continue to send out a positive message to those who do not carry should the issue come up. With OC'ing, I see this is even more important because my sidearm is visible and there is no doubt what I have with me. I know that there are those out there who would jump at the chance to do whatever they can to try to remove these treasured rights and are hoping for some mishap to prove their point and forward their cause. That is why it is incumbent upon all of us to never give them the ammunition they hope for. We have a duty to conduct ourselves in such a fashion that our actions are beyond reproach. That is why this site is so important to the future of our most fundamental right.

Good Lord.. do I ramble or what?

SouthernBoy

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
OUTSTANDING

Not only was it a NONEVENT it was an outstandingly POSITIVE event. Imaging running into some who GETS IT on you first outing.

Now see, aren't you wondering what all the hubbub is about?

Good work

Regards

Thanks, Hawkflyer. You are so right about the comfort factor.. especially in the summer months. My build is what I would consider to be normal for a 5'10" man, 190 man. No beer belly and no overt excess spilling over. But still, a gun against bare skin in the summer is going to get sweat and salt on it.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HOLY COW! What a great day for OC! SouthernBoy and Bohdi both OC for the first time. Congrats, gents!

It's true, when OC'ing you're intentionally polite. When you're CC'ing, you're just like anyone else. The phrase "An armed society is a polite society" was written in a time when OC was the norm and CC was for criminals and now you know why!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
SNIP The phrase "An armed society is a polite society" was written in a time when OC was the norm and CC was for criminals and now you know why!

Can you point me to the reference, BobCav?

The earliest I know about is Robert Heinlein, the author. He was part of the Golden Age of Science Fiction, which started, I think, in the 1930's.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy-

In reading your post above, IMHO, you sir have the correct and proper mindset to carry in any way you feel comfortable. You seem to have captured and taken to heart the simple fact that while you may only be carrying 2 pounds of steel, it is the heaviest burden you will ever carry through life, and it comes with AWESOME responsibilities.

Just be more aware of people around you, and retention issues as you OC, and with your mindset the rest will come naturally. You already know that it is up to you to walk away from confrontations, and remain calm even in the face of insult and anger. You will be fine my friend. Enjoy your freedom.

By the way, I would not worry about being targeted by a bad guy for simply OCing. This is actually more of an issue with LEOs than criminals (though sometimes they are indistinguishable). There has to date not been a single documented case where this has happened, but there is a LOT of documentation that armed citizens can and do prevent crime. Print out one of BobCav legal folder sheets in the legal section of the forum and keep it in your car as a reference for your first LEO encounter.

That lady in line with you knows that an armed society is a safer society, and I think she truly felt safer standing with you then she did when she left your "crime free zone" behind in the store.

Watch for announcements of local lunches and get together and come join us.

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
BobCav wrote:
SNIP    The phrase "An armed society is a polite society" was written in a time when OC was the norm and CC was for criminals and now you know why!

Can you point me to the reference, BobCav?

The earliest I know about is Robert Heinlein, the author.  He was part of the Golden Age of Science Fiction, which started, I think, in the 1930's.

According to the NRA he is the originator of the quote.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SouthernBoy-

In reading your post above, IMHO, you sir have the correct and proper mindset to carry in any way you feel comfortable. You seem to have captured and taken to heart the simple fact that while you may only be carrying 2 pounds of steel, it is the heaviest burden you will ever carry through life, and it comes with AWESOME responsibilities.

Just be more aware of people around you, and retention issues as you OC, and with your mindset the rest will come naturally. You already know that it is up to you to walk away from confrontations, and remain calm even in the face of insult and anger. You will be fine my friend. Enjoy your freedom.

By the way, I would not worry about being targeted by a bad guy for simply OCing. This is actually more of an issue with LEOs than criminals (though sometimes they are indistinguishable). There has to date not been a single documented case where this has happened, but there is a LOT of documentation that armed citizens can and do prevent crime. Print out one of BobCav legal folder sheets in the legal section of the forum and keep it in your car as a reference for your first LEO encounter.

That lady in line with you knows that an armed society is a safer society, and I think she truly felt safer standing with you then she did when she left your "crime free zone" behind in the store.

Watch for announcements of local lunches and get together and come join us.

Regards

Thank you for the kind words, sir. Retention is a real concern with me because today, I used my CC holster for OC with my PM9 Kahr. The holster is a Desantis and I have long since removed the thumb break. Fine for CC but not so good for OC. I'll probably have torevert to my Blackhawk Sepra holsterwith my Glock 23 until I get something more fitting for OC'ing my Kahrs.

As for local lunches and such, I'll keep my eyes open.