• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo

USN_MA1

imported post

What do you prefer? Do you buy into the hype of the million $$ super rounds? Do you just use plan hardball ammo?

What is your flavor?

just_a_car

imported post

I use Winchester Ranger SXT® .40S&W 165gr HP (P/N: RA40TA).

Mainly because of how they worked here: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot10.htm
You can check out some other HP's here: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot13.htm

That website is my favorite for "unofficial" ammo testing. It's really my go-to for real-world "not done in perfect lab settings" information. I'd suggest taking the time to browse through the whole site, lots of great articles and neat pictures!:celebrate

{dumb voice}...I like the books with the pictures best. :p

USN_MA1

imported post

I love that site! I get on there a few times a week just to see what is new. I am seriously thinking about buying a little 38+p just for how I saw it perform with some Speer Gold dot. I found a few more reasons to buy one besides that...for some reason I just havent though.

I cant ask without sharing...not fair.

lets see. Speer Gold dot, Hornady TAP, Extreme shock Fangface, Hydrashock and some Tauras full copper hollowpoints(cant think of the name). I think that is it. I like to keep my options open...;)

compmanio365

imported post

I honestly use CCI Blazer in my .45 since I don't reload and it gives good accuracy; oh yeah, and it's cheap too! ;)

For my .22 I use either CCI mini-mag hp, or Remington high-velocity....both hollow point...cause if I have to use a .22, I need all the help I can get....

sdelam

imported post

I carry Federal HST +p's in both my Glock 19 and 26. I figure ifI need something to save my/ my families livesI can spend a few extra bucks. I keep telling my wife "you cant put a price on self protection" It works ok for a few boxes of ammo, butI havent got it to work for more guns yet.:D

tarzan1888

imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
What do you prefer? Do you buy into the hype of the million $$ super rounds? Do you just use plan hardball ammo?

What is your flavor?

I don't really buy the hype.

The purpose of the ammunition is to punch a hole, and preferably 2 holes. (One in and one out)

Statistically, in a gun fight, 8 out of 10 shots miss the intended target. to me this means that these missed shots are a lot more deadly than one that passes through the bad guy, so I really don't worry about "Over-penetration"

Depending on what I am wearing and what time of year it is I either carry a 1911 A1 .45 or a .357 magnum Snubby.

I have JHP's in both guns, but I buy what I can get reasonably.If they expand, GREAT, but if they don't I have enough power to do the job. Right now I have Winchester 230 grain JHP's in the .45 and Blazer Brass 158 grain JHP's the the .357.

When I go camping I take the .357 with 158 grain FMJ for bears :what:(Not to hunt them, just as protection if needed)

I shoot what I practice with and what I can afford. (I have no desire to re-load)

To each his own. :dude:

molonlabetn

imported post

.357sig Double-Tap 147gr Gold-Dots. Pretty reasonable @ $25 per 50rd. Loaded hotter than all of the big-names, with some of the best projectiles on the market.

USN_MA1

imported post

Have any of you tested your ammo? I dont mean on a person of course, but in any target practicing..shooting anything that would allow you to see what the bullet can really do?

I know that box-o-truth is a good site to get an idea, but that havent done it all, know what I mean?

just_a_car

imported post

Haven't done any testing of my own, but I'd sure like to. I don't know how to get to any open-pit areas that are legal to shoot at. I've been to one out past Mt. Vernon, but can't recall how to get there.

Oh, forgot to mention, I got a case of the Winchester Ranger ammo (500rds) for $175, shipped... that's $17.50 / 50rd box. ;)

sdelam

imported post

I have been saving milk jugs for a few months now and almost have enough to build my own box o truth. I will be testing very soon.

just_a_car

imported post

Good call BobCav, I was thinking that the original question was just about defense ammo, but they asked in general....

Well, for target practice/plinking, I get a Wally World Winchester Whitebox 100rd .40S&W Value Pack for just under $23.

Drewesque

imported post

I often feed Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart through my .45 for plinking, thogh when I was able to get HSM hollowpoints for as cheap as the FMJ, I was using those for both plinking and carry (they expanded nicely in my tests. I think they were a misprinted price, though--$14 for 50)...the shop I got them from quit carrying the hollowpoints.

I'll probably go back to Speer or Federal for my carry ammo, especially in my new .40 (Steyr M40). I'll just have to put a few dollars more into getting used to the ammo.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Drewesque wrote:
I often feed Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart through my .45 for plinking, thogh when I was able to get HSM hollowpoints for as cheap as the FMJ, I was using those for both plinking and carry (they expanded nicely in my tests. I think they were a misprinted price, though--$14 for 50)...the shop I got them from quit carrying the hollowpoints.

I'll probably go back to Speer or Federal for my carry ammo, especially in my new .40 (Steyr M40). I'll just have to put a few dollars more into getting used to the ammo.

I also use Blazer brass for my 9mm from walmrt, 7.47 a box, can't be that. FMJ, some people scorn for that, but it is great range ammo, never a misfire through my sigma.

I also would like to metion here that I have never had a problem obtaining ammo at walmart while oc'ing. (Schererville, IN)

joeroket

imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
Have any of you tested your ammo? I dont mean on a person of course, but in any target practicing..shooting anything that would allow you to see what the bullet can really do?

I know that box-o-truth is a good site to get an idea, but that havent done it all, know what I mean?
I always test anything I carry before it goes out the door with me. I like to fire at least200 rounds so I can get a feel for the round. I have never done any ballistic testing, for that I rely on independant testing.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

joeroket wrote:
I always test anything I carry before it goes out the door with me. I like to fire at least200 rounds so I can get a feel for the round. I have never done any ballistic testing, for that I rely on independant testing.
I hope you don't shop for ammo at WalMart!! lol..