• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo

USN_MA1

imported post

BobCav wrote:
joeroket wrote:
I always test anything I carry before it goes out the door with me. I like to fire at least200 rounds so I can get a feel for the round. I have never done any ballistic testing, for that I rely on independant testing.
I hope you don't shop for ammo at WalMart!! lol..

that was a good laugh.

Hijacking my own thread, anyone here hunt or "recreationally" shoot?

blk

imported post

I shoot Wally World WWB .45 in both my Rock Islands for target practice. I carry Remington 185 gr. JHPs. After about 1000 rounds of hardball, both the M1911 GI and the Compact will even work with those nasty reloads at the range.

G27

imported post

I use Federal Hydrashok 165. Have yet to actually shoot any of it off cause it's just too damn expensive for a box of 20. But I was told it is well at what it does. For practice I use Winchester 100 box from Wal-Mart. $18.77! woohoo!

Drewesque

imported post

G27 wrote:
I use Federal Hydrashok 165. Have yet to actually shoot any of it off cause it's just too damn expensive for a box of 20. But I was told it is well at what it does. For practice I use Winchester 100 box from Wal-Mart. $18.77! woohoo!
You should try a couple rounds of the Federal, just to get a feel for it. You also might want to see about some homemade ballistics tests. I accidentally picked up some 165s for a .45 with a 4 inch barrel...they're made for the shorter barrels, and kind of explode when fired out of a longer barrel...ymmv, of course, but I found that they didn't get good penetration and shredded on impact, leaving little bits of shrapnel in the one bottle they penetrated. The 230 grain Federals are fantastic, though.

joeroket

imported post

BobCav wrote:
joeroket wrote:
I always test anything I carry before it goes out the door with me. I like to fire at least200 rounds so I can get a feel for the round. I have never done any ballistic testing, for that I rely on independant testing.
I hope you don't shop for ammo at WalMart!! lol.
One can only daydream.;)

expvideo

imported post

I practice with WWB FMJ.

I carry Federal Hydra-Shok 9mm 135 gr. Not to sound too generic or anything :D

I like the heavy stuff because it's subsonic. Every little bit helps when you don't have ear protection, and I figure it's the least likely to over penetrate. I would also expect better results from aheavier round. I guess that's because I used to play airsoft and the heavier the BB, the more accurate and harder it hit, even if it was flying at a lower velocity. I don't know if that lesson transfers over to handgun ammunition, but I like to think so.

My fiancee uses WWB FMJ .380 on the range, and keeps it loaded with Federal Hydra-Shok .380.

You'd think from all the Hydra-Shok that I learned everything about guns from rap, but don't worry, that's not the case. I just like'm.