• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Error on the Appalachian Trail Conservancy website?

riegnman

imported post

Just wanted to pass this on. My 9-year-old son and I are planning a 3-5 day hiking trip along the Appalachian Trail possibly in Sept. this year. So being the logical and responsible father, I wanted to get all the info that I could before this undertaking. I went to http://www.appalachiantrail.orgbecause these are suppose to be the people that keep the trail up and maintain it, etc. Who would know more than these people, right? I found this on their website under permits, fees, regulations:

"Can I carry a gun?

ATC strongly discourages hikers from carrying firearms. In areas of the Trail corridor where hunting is legal, hikers may see hunters carrying firearms. On National Park Service lands outside national recreation areas, possession of firearms by private citizens is illegal. The prohibition applies on many other public lands as well. Where firearms are allowed, state laws on licenses, registration, and related matters govern." (emphasis added by me)

Anyway, is this not error? I thought that we could carry concealed with CHP and picture ID. Someone help me out and I will email them and inform them POLITELY of their erroneous info. Here's the contact info from their website if you would like to do the same:

Appalachian Trail Conservancy
799 Washington Street
P.O. Box 807
Harpers Ferry, WV 25425-0807
Phone: (304) 535-6331
Fax: (304) 535-2667
Get directions
Ultimate A.T. Store
Phone: (888) AT STORE / (888) 287-8673
Fax: (304) 724-8386
www.atctrailstore.org

We also have avisitor centerin Harpers Ferry andregional officesalong the Trail.

Frequently requested e-mail addresses:
ATC membership: membership@appalachiantrail.org
Trail and hiking questions: info@appalachiantrail.org
Ultimate A.T. Store: sales@appalachiantrail.org
Publications and advertising: journeys@appalachiantrail.org

BTW, while hiking the 40-70 miles with my son, I will be carrying a Stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag in my pack. Also a Walther P22 in a pouch on my LBE to help with the grocery bill while on the hike, (that's why we're waiting until Sept. to go. Squirrel season opens Sept. 1). I am undecided whether or not I will be carrying my Taurus2" hammerless in .357 mag. inmy ankle holster or not. I carry it everyday and without it I feel almost naked. I don't want to go out "over dressed", ya know.

All of this just in case some Bad Guys have read the same website that I have and feel that hikers on the AT are "easy pickins"

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

If it is National Park Service land then the prohibition on firearms does apply.

riegnman

imported post

vt357 wrote:
longwatch wrote:
If it is National Park Service land then the prohibition on firearms does apply.
Bingo.

http://www.nps.gov/appa/

NPS Regulations

In addition to the trail being managed by the NPS, much of the AT in Virginia goes through national parks as well.

This is in West VA. though. The following was taken from the Big Bend National Park, where ever that is:

Generally, firearms are prohibited in national parks. If you are transporting firearms, you must notify the ranger or gate attendant of this fact on your arrival and your firearm must be rendered "inoperable" before you enter the park. The National Park Service defines "inoperable" to mean unloaded, cased, broken down if possible, and out of sight. Individuals in possession of an operable firearm in a national park are subject to arrest. Again, rules in various state park systems vary, so inquiry should be made concerning the manner of legal firearms possession in each particular park system.

So I wonder if States have the right to regulate?

This is on the NRA website:

[size=-1]Generally, firearms are prohibited in national parks. If you are transporting firearms, you must notify the ranger or gate attendant on your arrival, and your firearm must be rendered inoperable before you enter the park. The National Park Service defines inoperable to mean unloaded, cased, broken down if possible, and out of sight. Individuals in possession of an operable firearm in a national park are subject to arrest. Rules in various state park systems vary, so always inquire first.[/size]

longwatch

imported post

I can easily imagine that if state law is more restrictive one could be prosecuted for it. As for the NPS rules they are uniform in the lower 48 so the rules you read do apply. The question I have is if the AT is under contiguous NPS control. Some places like the Thompson WMA in NOVA hunting is allowed as well as CCW.

riegnman

imported post

Good news. There appears to be a way to carry, albeit tedious and thin. This is from www.nps.gov

(a)(1) Except as otherwise provided in
this section and parts 7 (special regulations)
and 13 (Alaska regulations), the
following are prohibited:
(i) Possessing a weapon, trap or net
(ii) Carrying a weapon, trap or net
(iii) Using a weapon, trap or net
(2) Weapons, traps or nets may be
carried, possessed or used:
(i) At designated times and locations
in park areas where:
(A) The taking of wildlife is authorized
by law in accordance with § 2.2 of
this chapter;
(B) The taking of fish is authorized
by law in accordance with § 2.3 of this
part.
(ii) When used for target practice at
designated times and at facilities or locations
designed and constructed specifically
for this purpose and designated
pursuant to special regulations.
(iii) Within a residential dwelling.
For purposes of this subparagraph
only, the term ‘‘residential dwelling’’
means a fixed housing structure which
is either the principal residence of its
occupants, or is occupied on a regular
and recurring basis by its occupants as
VerDate 11<MAY>2000 17:49 Jul 17, 2001 Jkt 194130 PO 00000 Frm 00019 Fmt 8010 Sfmt 8010 Y:\SGML\194130T.XXX pfrm12 PsN: 194130T
36 CFR Ch. I (7–§ 2.5 1–01 Edition)
an alternate residence or vacation
home.
(3) Traps, nets and unloaded weapons
may be possessed within a temporary
lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance
when such implements are rendered
temporarily inoperable or are
packed, cased or stored in a manner
that will prevent their ready use.
(b) Carrying or possessing a loaded
weapon in a motor vehicle, vessel or
other mode of transportation is prohibited,
except that carrying or possessing
a loaded weapon in a vessel is allowed
when such vessel is not being propelled
by machinery and is used as a shooting
platform in accordance with Federal
and State law.
(c) The use of a weapon, trap or net
in a manner that endangers persons or
property is prohibited.

(d) The superintendent may issue a
permit to carry or possess a weapon,
trap or net under the following circumstances:
(1) When necessary to support research
activities conducted in accordance
with § 2.5.
(2) To carry firearms for persons in
charge of pack trains or saddle horses
for emergency use.
(3) For employees, agents or cooperating
officials in the performance of
their official duties.
(4) To provide access to otherwise inaccessible
lands or waters contiguous
to a park area when other means of access
are otherwise impracticable or impossible.
Violation of the terms and conditions
of a permit issued pursuant to this
paragraph is prohibited and may result
in the suspension or revocation of the
permit.

So, it appears that if I am walking the AT and parts of it go through NPS land, I need to obtain a permit from the superintendent of that area. I have looked and the hike that I will be making will not encroach on NPS land, so this is one battle that I wont have to fightjust so I canexcercise my second amendment right, but it may be helpful to someone else.

riegnman

imported post

Here is the reply that I received from the Shenandoah Deputy Chief Ranger:

Thank you for your email requesting information regarding firearms in
Shenandoah National Park. 36 CFR § 2.4 prohibits possessing, carrying, or
using a firearm in a national park. The superintendent is authorized to
issue permits but only in specific circumstances: research activities, for
persons leading a pack train, employees in the performance of their duties
and to provide access to otherwise inaccessible lands. It would appear
from your request that none of these conditions would apply to your
situation.

You are correct in the assessment that your valid Virginia permit to carry
a concealed firearm does not carry over to federal land. Shenandoah Nation
Park, being a federal reservation, is subject to federal law and would
supersede state law.

To meet the requirements of the regulation, you would need to make sure
that your firearm is unloaded and stored in a manor what would keep the
firearm from being readily accessible. When travelling trough the park,
placing the unloaded weapon in the trunk would accomplish this. A backpack
would not.

If you have further questions, please call me at the number below.

Ed W Clark
Deputy Chief Ranger
Shenandoah National Park
3655 US Hwy 211 E
Luray, Virginia 22835
540-999-3402 (phone)
540-999-3236 (fax)

and my response to his reply:

Mr. Clark,

to provide access to otherwise inaccessible lands.

Would this not be a legitimate reason? If I am on the AT with a lawful
firearm, and I have to cross NPS land to continue my progress on the trail,
then could I not get a permit to cross the NPS land with the firearm to
continue on the trail? My vehicle is not readily accessible. What do thru
hikers do? Are they required to give up Second Amendment rights for the
priviledge to hike through the AT? Surely there is some provision in the
law for this.

Ya know, like I said before, I don't even have to cross NPS land on my hike but it has turned into a real issue now that they are telling me that there is no way that I can exercise my constitutional rights. Maybe it's moot, but it really bothers me.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FYI Big Bend National Park is in Texas.

The regulations are uniform (except Alaska) for all National Parks (Teddy Roosevelt is spinning in his grave). You can obtain a permit as outlined above. I had one for conducting a search for a downed plane in Guadeloupe Mountain National Park. The restrictions on the permit were fairly draconian. Basically if I if I fired the weapon, and could not PROVE actual and immediate self defense justification I could have been prosecuted. The burden of proof rests with the permit holder.

Be careful on the AT. There have been many recent incidents of attacks and car break ins involving folks using the trail. All committed by two legged animals.

Regards

riegnman

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

The regulations are uniform (except Alaska) for all National Parks (Teddy Roosevelt is spinning in his grave). You can obtain a permit as outlined above. I had one for conducting a search for a downed plane in Guadeloupe Mountain National Park. The restrictions on the permit were fairly draconian. Basically if I if I fired the weapon, and could not PROVE actual and immediate self defense justification I could have been prosecuted. The burden of proof rests with the permit holder.

Be careful on the AT. There have been many recent incidents of attacks and car break ins involving folks using the trail. All committed by two legged animals.

Regards
Thanks for the heads-up. Rest assured, I will be protected. I gues that answers the question about going out over-dressed. I'll make sure that I carry the .357 also. :D

riegnman

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards
Thanks for the heads-up. Rest assured, I will be protected. I gues that answers the question about going out over-dressed. I'll make sure that I carry the .357 also. :D

riegnman

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
LW, Yes the entire AT falls under NPS. Though I find this odd since many parts go through state parks and public streets.

http://www.nps.gov/appa/index.htm

See, that's where I have my problem. There has to be something going on with the laws because the AT Conservancy webpage states:

Hunting is allowed on or near most of the Appalachian Trail. Hunting has been a traditional use of the land along many sections of the Trail, both on public and private lands, and fishing and hunting groups are among the biggest supporters of protection of public lands.

Type of A.T. Land
Hunting
No Hunting

National forest lands and recreation areas
1,000+ miles

State forest and gameland units
250+ miles

National and state park lands

900 miles

Total approximate mileage
1,250+ miles
900 miles

So if the AT is entirely on NPS Land, and it is, then why can I hunt on the AT during legal hunting season except when passing through Shanendoah, etc? My head hurts. . . :banghead:

longwatch

imported post

I don't think the AT is all NPS land. The G. Richard Thompson WMA and Sky Meadows State Park are 2 areas that I know allow gun carry of one type or other and the AT passes through both of them.

VAopencarry

imported post

It is not all NPS land but seems to somehow fall under their control in some form.

from appalachiantrail.org "Is a unit of the National Park Service." The more I think about it I believe I have seen NPS Rangers on parts of the AT that were not on NPS land.

longwatch

imported post

We have got to get the NPS carry ban dropped, this whole subject is too confusing.

Tomahawk

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Well we could buy them out and change the rules.

IF WE DIDN"T ALREADY OWN MOST OF THE LAND ALREADY!!!:banghead:

Regards

Speaking of which, here's the sad story of how SNP came to be:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig6/frazier2.html

Reading this really angers me. A bunch of hoiti-toiti types decided to screw a bunch of country folk out of their family homes in order to gentrify it by force. It's a prett park and all, but came at a high expensefor some people. And the new "owners" won't even let you properly defend yourself to boot.

Near the trailhead for the Devil's Staircase trail, there is an old cemetary, and in the cemetary is a plaque. I took a photo of it, it's a little hard to read here:

DSCF0255a.JPG