• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OpenCarry Chat!

UtahJarhead

imported post

For those that don't know...

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. It's the original 'chat rooms' of the internet. IRC connects over port 6666 or 6667 by default. IRC is also how almost all 'botnets' pass their instructions to the 'zombie' PCs. Because of this reason, almost all businesses worth their salt block these ports specifically.

There are a few ways to work around this.
1. Use an IRC relay. There are very few (if any) public relays that will handle this so it's not usually a feasible option unless you do it yourself.
2. Connect to a PC at your home using SSH and then connect out using that. I use a command line IRC client called 'irssi'. This means your employer would have to allow outbound connections over port 22 and more than likely, they do already.

Now... if you have NO CLUE what I am talking about, then ignore it! it won't do you a whole lot of good if you don't. I'm trying to find out of slashnet allows connections in over an alternet port so 6667 isn't the required one, but I'm not so sure.