• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OpenCarry Chat!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well Iregisted #OpenCarry on slashnet.org's IRC server andcreated an ircchat room forOpenCarry!!
:monkey

There are a few ways to access this room.

#1 mIRC programs from http://www.mirc.com its a reasonable download and will allow a better interface than JAVA clients.

#2 Mozilla & Netscape I belive have irc clients built into them.

(For 1 & 2 you just need to select irc.slashnet.org as your server, choose a name (nick)and connect. Once you connect just type "/join #OpenCarry"and you will join the chat room!)

#3 Use the easy Java Chat @ JavaChat

When it loads, type "/join OpenCarry" without the quotes and you should join up with the rest of the people there.

You will enter as Guest ## and can change your name by enteringyour handle in the upper left box marked ENTER NIC:

or you can just type /nick <Your Nick Here>.

Use your handle or a name that will allow others to recognize you. We have nothing to hide here or there. Anonymous users are kicked.

Have fun, drop me a PM if you have any problems.

unrequited

imported post

"When it loads, type "/join LXForums" without the quotes and you should join up with the rest of the people there."

was that left over from your tutorial? i went on just now and def. will kill free time there

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

unrequited wrote:
"When it loads, type "/join LXForums" without the quotes and you should join up with the rest of the people there."

was that left over from your tutorial? i went on just now and def. will kill free time there
Hah...yep! That's the car forum. lol.....

vrwmiller

imported post

Looks like people have lost interest. Over the last couple of days, it's been me and ChronoSphere with a couple "pop-ins" here and there, that don't appear to stay long.

I thought it might've been a long shot that a decent group of the folks here would even know what IRC is.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

My guess is that there isn't enough people posting here (traffic) even in the forums let aloneenough people to keep a chat area going.

It's probably just numbers: Not enough people posting/visiting OpenCarry.org regularly.

-- John D.

steveforopen

imported post

I think if we're going to make #OpenCarry work, then we need to have event chats. Many other forums do this, as not many people are willing to leave IRC on on their computers all the time. Maybe Mike or BobCav could start running event/topic chats during peak-hour usage, which would definitely spur more discussion than the three or four of us that are constantly in there running our mouths off about such and such. :cool:

Legba

imported post

I am usuallyon ircnet instead of slashnet, but I use irc all the time. I popped in previously, but it was dead, so dunno if I'm likely to hang out unless there's more interest otherwise. Will check from time to time.

-ljp

p.s. Sometimes, all you need to do is manually change the port settings to the remote server to get around firewall blocks at work or school - worth a try. Most IRC servers will use ports 6660-6669 and not necessarily just the defaults. There are also Java chat applets that might work.

Also, I do use a different chat nick for security reasons. Youcan end up with problems if someone bent on malice infers your real name or even your e-mail address from your chat nick. I know of cases where people got signed up for pervert news groups or got personal information compromised by others, so yes, I do have something to hide - my identity, in a basic sense.

VAopencarry

imported post

The problem is poor directions for people that never heard of IRC or slashnet before. After 15 minutes of fukin with it I gave up. I think I was in but wasn't certain.

C

ccloud43

imported post

I logged on using the chat button on the toolbar and no one is ever there. Bob do i need to get Mirc or can i just use the one on the toolbar?

vrwmiller

imported post

ccloud43 wrote:
I logged on using the chat button on the toolbar and no one is ever there. Bob do i need to get Mirc or can i just use the one on the toolbar?
The chat feature on the OCDO toolbar is seperate from the IRC chat on this thread. I've not used the Java client that Bob links to above, but if you click on it, theoretically, it gets you into the chat room. However, I don't know for sure, since I use a seperate IRC client.

C

ccloud43

imported post

OK vrwmiller, thanks for the info. Im off to get Mirc

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Maybe I am just dumb, would anyone be willing to give me a few pointers on how to use this, I'd like to take advantage of the feature -- pm me if you can help, I have already dl'ed the program, but its not working :(

vrwmiller

imported post

openryan wrote:
Maybe I am just dumb, would anyone be willing to give me a few pointers on how to use this, I'd like to take advantage of the feature -- pm me if you can help, I have already dl'ed the program, but its not working :(
If you're using mIRC, I think once you open it up and get the plain white window, you can type in:

/server irc.slashnet.org

Once it connects to the server, then type:

/join #opencarry

That should be it...I don't use mIRC, so I hope this is accurate