• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled over by the cops... Now what?

DrewGunner

imported post

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while. Had a couple questions.

Whats the rule when you get pulled over by the cops and your carrying (cc or oc)? Are you supposed tell they right away or only if they ask? What about if you're out in public, at the mall or something, and for whatever reason a cop approaches you?

just_a_car

imported post

First off, I'm not a lawyer.

That said:
In WA, you do not have to declare that you are carrying, OC or CC to an officer unless they ask something to the effect of "Are there any weapons in the vehicle?" or "Do you have any weapons on you?"

Nor do you have to hand over your CPL if you are concealing unless demanded to do so by someone if the law requires you to. RCW 9.41.050 (1)(b) states:

"(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction."

Now, the fact that it says "...and if required by law to do so." means to me that there may be some other law regarding when an officer or "other person" may lawfully demand to see your CPL. I'm not sure what that may be.

Dave Workman

imported post

See Chapter Four, pages 15-17, WASHINGTON STATE GUN RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Re: "Traffic Stop Etiquette"

joeroket

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
See Chapter Four, pages 15-17, WASHINGTON STATE GUN RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Re: "Traffic Stop Etiquette"

LOL Ding Ding.

Dave can you post the link to your site so I can pick one up from you.

gregma

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while. Had a couple questions.

Whats the rule when you get pulled over by the cops and your carrying (cc or oc)? Are you supposed tell they right away or only if they ask? What about if you're out in public, at the mall or something, and for whatever reason a cop approaches you?
You do not have a duty to inform. I would myself just as a matter of safety. Since you are required to have a CCP when in a vehicle with a loaded firearm, you will be required to show it to the officer if he requests it.

expvideo

imported post

G27 wrote:
Out of respect to the LEO I would inform him. But that's just me.
I do the same. I'd rather he knew than "found out". I'm no expert, but I imagine that's one of the things they don't like finding on their own. I usually hand over my CPL with my DL, registrationand insurance.

gregma

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
Can the book be ordered online? All I see is "call to order." I'm in Iraq and the phone is not my best means of communication.
Looks like there's an online order form here:

https://trout.secure-host.com/gunlaws/secureorder.htm

If that doesn't work, PM me with your FPO or APO, unit, all the stuff that will get it to you, and I'll get one to you somehow.

Thanks for serving!

Dave Workman

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
Can the book be ordered online? All I see is "call to order." I'm in Iraq and the phone is not my best means of communication.

Holy smokes.. That's "WASHINGTON STATE GUN RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES" not BAGHDAD GUN RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES!

order one through danddgunleather@centurytel.net

Dave Workman

imported post

joeroket wrote:
[Dave can you post the link to your site so I can pick one up from you.

Go you one better than that. If you hit the Puyallup gun show Saturday, I'll be there autographing books at the Second Amendment Foundation table.

Otherwise, order through:

D&D ENTERPRISES
P.O. Box 1638
North Bend, WA 98045

$10.95 plus $4.50 to cover sales tax, shipping & handling

joeroket

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
joeroket wrote:
[Dave can you post the link to your site so I can pick one up from you.

Go you one better than that. If you hit the Puyallup gun show Saturday, I'll be there autographing books at the Second Amendment Foundation table.

Otherwise, order through:

D&D ENTERPRISES
P.O. Box 1638
North Bend, WA 98045

I live to far away to go but I will be sending you the money for one.

What kind of payment do you prefer? I want to send what is best for you.:)

Dave Workman

imported post

joeroket wrote:
I live to far away to go but I will be sending you the money for one.

What kind of payment do you prefer? I want to send what is best for you.:)
[/quote]

I prefer money... :)

A check will do.

Dave W.