• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Came across this air gun project on the net...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Honest to God! I would never have thought I would see the day that I would read a report on the terminal ballistics of an M & M!!

vrwmiller

imported post

joeroket wrote:
The only part of it i don't like is the last paragraph where says this;

I'm not a gun advocate, and I see no reason why somebody living in the city should have anything more than an airgun.
They are Canucks....do you expect more? :lol:

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I'd still rather have a 'tater gun.:cool:
I made a pneumatic tater gun and will never bother with the old ‘hair spray’ tater gun again. I wish I knew how far they went buthaven’t been able to follow them!! It does a hell of a job with a racquet ball as well.

savery

imported post

ahhh.... Potato cannons.

About a year ago a few of my friends made a small one and showed it to me. I had heard of them before but never bothered with building one....but when I saw this thing it was one of those "Damn! Why didn't I think of that" moments. After a trip to home depot and lowes, I ran some calculations, and after gagging from the stench of PVC glue, I ended up with a 6 foot long monster that was capable of penetrating 1/4" plywood with a potato. Damn those things are fun!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I knew a guy once who had a 6 pound parrot gun. The bore was almost a perfect fit for a beer can, so he would fill up empties with concrete and use them for ammo. Unfortunately he would usually drain fresh ones while shooting the prepared ones but that is a different story.

Using a 1/4 pound charge of "F" black powder, he could achieve a 1 foot group at 100 yards. The range of this thing was somewhat more than 1/4 mile with a little larger charge. He tried potatoes in the thing, but usually they exploded on leaving the barrel. Still kind of dramatic to watch.

When he stored the thing, he kept it on his porch pointed out the driveway entrance. He said he had very few strangers actually knock on his door. A lot of folks would pull up to the house, pause a moment, and slowly back out again.

Regards

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hate to tell it, but someone I knew very personally used to make tennis ball mortars in college! The folly of youth! Could have been very dangerous but it worked and no one was injured.

Cut the end out of two tennis ball cans, duct tape them to one more that has a small nail hole punched in the bottom, squirt lighter fluid in the cans and drop a lighter fluid drenched tennis ball down the tube. Put match to the touch hole and aim appropriately. :lol:

:arrow: I desclaim any responsibility from results of anyone reading this or attempting to duplicate the procedure. Reader/user accepts all responsibility and liability for any and all actions related to personal use of information contained in this article.

Yata hey

Tomahawk

imported post

I once worked in a welding shop in NJ and got to witness the construction and use of a beautiful device called an oxy-acetelene mortar made from steel pipes, plates, and a couple of rods for legs. Thing made a nice bang and chucked a tennis ball across a parking lot. Actual construction details intentionally witheld of course...nor do I swear any of this actually happened, I may be making it up. ;)

Ric in Richmond

imported post

MMMMMm tennis ball mortars....brings back memories.

Used to go off with a big WHHHHOOOOMP.

We also used to build big bottle rockets out of the large model rocket motors...just tape a stick to it...set it up and a 9v and an ignitor to make it go.

Of course in this day and age we would be in so much trouble!!!

Wooley

imported post

Speaking of tennis balls...

If any of you are volunteer firefighters or medics...

A tennis ball gently tamped into the bell of an airhorn will fire out quite a ways when you honk it!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Wooley wrote:

A tennis ball gently tamped into the bell of an airhorn will fire out quite a ways when you honk it!
So if I load a tennis ball into the air horn on my '70 Cadillac's fender, I can get your attention if you cut me off while changing lanes in front of me. Right? D*mn wish that were legal ! :cool:
Yata hey

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wooley wrote:

Damn, I wish I had thought of that a number of years ago:banghead: