• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WWYD? (What Would You Do)

xpun8

imported post

Let me first point out that I don't know the letter of the law when it comes to "carrying" in WA.

I was on loading up my stuff in my truck in the parking lot when I notice this character on the other side of the aisle. It appears that he's CC'ing, but his shirt is tucked exposing the grip poking out the top of a IWB holster. I did a double take, sure enough, that's what is was. I whistled at him to get his attention, he looked at me and I asked "Concealed?" He sneered at me as to say "mind your own business" and went back to loading his car.

I thought OC meant the full length of the gun was visible and CC meant concealed. That leads me to two questions:
1) What would you have done?

2) What would a LEO do?

I guess I expected anything other than being shrugged off.

just_a_car

imported post

Well, I would let him know by saying something like "Excuse me?... Your rights are showing!" and winked or something like that.

Seems like the guy may have been having a bad day.

If he had been more responsive to you, you could also have engaged him in a discussion about legal OC.

If you have a permit to CC, then you can OC or CC as much or as little as you like. OC can be just the grip of the gun showing, but an LEO might think you're trying to conceal and request your CPL, but as long as it's not ever concealed by a jacket or something like that, then you should be okay, I would think.

xpun8

imported post

BobCav, that's exactly what I told my son. Especially because...from my angle there appeared to be no retention. We went on to discuss responsibilities when carrying (he's age 13) and why it's important to know how to retain.

just_a_car

imported post

xpun8 wrote:
BobCav, that's exactly what I told my son. Especially because...from my angle there appeared to be no retention. We went on to discuss responsibilities when carrying (he's age 13) and why it's important to know how to retain.
Good on ya, xpun8!

That kid's gunna grow up to likely be one responsible citizen. ;)

devldogs55

imported post

My favorite thing about an Open Carry state is that you can't get in any trouble for printing or having your shirt ride up and "open carrying" when you are intending to CC. I would have started my car and drove off. A cop SHOULD do absolutely nothing at that point... but probably would try to find some reasonable suspision to ID him.

If I felt I had to do something.. I would have told him his cell phone was showing and smiled. He was breaking no law.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

xpun8 wrote:
Thanks.
If he doesn't he has God and me to answer to, at least until he's 18. ;)
Hey, can you tell me how one get's God off their back when they turn 18? :p

I probably wouldn't have said anything...it may have been obvious to YOU, a gun carrier, but the average sheeple probably wouldn't see it. Hewas probably upset that you were giving away his secret lol. :celebrate

trainer62

imported post

I think that in this case the man with the sidearm should have been more aware of the fact that his gun was showing and definitely should have been more aware of his surroundings. The way he was carrying his sidearm is in no way illegal under RCW 9.41.50 Carrying firearms. The man however needs to be aware of his rights as this is a definite gray zone, the RCW's concerning weapons doesn’t define what "concealed" is, and therefore until it goes before a judge will be left to the officers discretion so to speak.
As to the question what would I have done, that's hard to say without having been there. Personally I have used an IWB holster and open carried before when I wanted to be a little more discreet. As for the man being in condition white just because if the way he was carrying his firearm that cannot be determined. I usually the military system of Green, Yellow, and Red. In this myself and most of the people I run with stay in condition Yellow just about 24/7 and should the need arise we're that much closer to being in condition Red, no matter how we carry the sidearm. I do agree that the gentlemen should be more ware as I have already stated, but would like to point out that weapon retention isn't in the holster, but in the operator. LEO's in the past, god rest their souls, have proven that if you have a level three retention holster and aren't trained in retention and don't have the proper mind set all the locking devices in the world won't keep someone from grabbing your gun in a street fight and killing you with it.
The question about the LEO's is hard as it will very from officer to officer just expect that they will stop you and talk to you, and know your rights and the laws surrounding them.
I also want to say I'm glad to see that you are teaching your son to be so responsible. It speaks well of you.

krazichinaman

imported post

So this is kinda off topic, but I think it follows the flow of this thread.

So I have my CPL and I CC. If I were for whatever reason to twist funny and my shirt were to ride up and print, and someone saw. If the cops were called, would I be in trouble? Or would the LEO think that since now my CC pistol would/could be seen that it would be considered "OC."

just_a_car

imported post

krazichinaman wrote:

So I have my CPL and I CC. If I were for whatever reason to twist funny and my shirt were to ride up and print, and someone saw. If the cops were called, would I be in trouble? Or would the LEO think that since now my CC pistol would/could be seen that it would be considered "OC."
OC is not illegal in WA. CC is only illegal if you don't have a CPL, which you do. Since you've got your CPL, you're covered for any situation, whether CC, OC, or CC where it shows. Unless you are breaking the law (say, acting in a manner or place that would cause a reasonable person "alarm") then there's nothing they can LEGALLY do.... now, that's not to say they won't harrass you, just that you don't have to worry about any legal repurcussions.

Edit: I should also mention that having your CC firearm print or outright show is not considered "brandishing" in this state.

krazichinaman

imported post

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured that much but wanted someone elses opinion on the subject matter.

just_a_car wrote:
krazichinaman wrote:

OC is not illegal in WA. CC is only illegal if you don't have a CPL, which you do. Since you've got your CPL, you're covered for any situation, whether CC, OC, or CC where it shows. Unless you are breaking the law (say, acting in a manner or place that would cause a reasonable person "alarm") then there's nothing they can LEGALLY do.... now, that's not to say they won't harrass you, just that you don't have to worry about any legal repurcussions.

Edit: I should also mention that having your CC firearm print or outright show is not considered "brandishing" in this state.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

1. seems like the guy was being an ass.

2. I would've said 'you're showing' or something to that nature, and pointed on my body where the weapon was on his body...

I think you did fine, but he was an ass..

amlevin

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
1. seems like the guy was being an ass.

2. I would've said 'you're showing' or something to that nature, and pointed on my body where the weapon was on his body...

I think you did fine, but he was an ass..
Probably just a "CWA" (Cop With Attitude).