Thread: Open Carry in downtown Anchorage

Post imported post

Was up in Alaska last week. Wife & I flew up to Anchorage then took the Alaska Railroad to a ship to cruise the glaciers. Beautiful. That, by the way, makes 49 states that we have been to. Only Hawaii left to complete our goal of seeing all 50.

While in Anchorage I open carried in the downtown area. On Saturday there is this market with about a zillion people around. I'll admit I was a bit nervous because I've never open carried in civillian clothes while walking through such a large crowd.

One woman did stare at my holster (carried a Kahr PM-9 in a nylon holster) and said "oh boy" (in a tone of voice as if to say "here we go, folks") but other than that no other problems or comments. I did not respond to her comment and kept walking past her. I walked into a couple of stores too. Nobody batted an eye.

I didn't see any businesses posted either, and I was actively looking for signs.

Carried openly downtown for about 3 hours straight. No problems! I did not have any contacts with law enforcement. I didn't see any cops and assume nobody called in to complain about me.

:what:WOW!!!!!

I did not open carry on the train or boat as firearms are prohibited. There were no searches or metal detectors, so I could have easily carried concealed. But I intended to drink alcohol on the cruise so I kept the pistol locked up in my luggage.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Great news! Keep it up!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Good story and it's a darn good thing you weren't forced to shoot any Russian illegal immigrants.

Post imported post

This is a late reply but, congrats hope you enjoyed our state. Please come on back, and bring your gun too.

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    Was up in Alaska last week. Wife & I flew up to Anchorage then took the Alaska Railroad to a ship to cruise the glaciers. Beautiful. That, by the way, makes 49 states that we have been to. Only Hawaii left to complete our goal of seeing all 50.

While in Anchorage I open carried in the downtown area. On Saturday there is this market with about a zillion people around. I'll admit I was a bit nervous because I've never open carried in civillian clothes while walking through such a large crowd.

One woman did stare at my holster (carried a Kahr PM-9 in a nylon holster) and said "oh boy" (in a tone of voice as if to say "here we go, folks") but other than that no other problems or comments. I did not respond to her comment and kept walking past her. I walked into a couple of stores too. Nobody batted an eye.

I didn't see any businesses posted either, and I was actively looking for signs.

Carried openly downtown for about 3 hours straight. No problems! I did not have any contacts with law enforcement. I didn't see any cops and assume nobody called in to complain about me.

I did not open carry on the train or boat as firearms are prohibited. There were no searches or metal detectors, so I could have easily carried concealed. But I intended to drink alcohol on the cruise so I kept the pistol locked up in my luggage.
    We just need to get things changed down here so we can do that.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:

I have been here for 6 years now and I carry everyday either out in the open or Concealed I have had one person that gave me a hard time and they where corrected later by there boss.... Open Carry in Alaska is a none issue very easy and i have stood right next to police and troopers in stores and never ever even be asked for ID ever!

I am From PA i would not do the same there but here no problem!

W