• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in downtown Anchorage

pkbites

imported post

Was up in Alaska last week. Wife & I flew up to Anchorage then took the Alaska Railroad to a ship to cruise the glaciers. Beautiful. That, by the way, makes 49 states that we have been to. Only Hawaii left to complete our goal of seeing all 50.

While in Anchorage I open carried in the downtown area. On Saturday there is this market with about a zillion people around. I'll admit I was a bit nervous because I've never open carried in civillian clothes while walking through such a large crowd.

One woman did stare at my holster (carried a Kahr PM-9 in a nylon holster) and said "oh boy" (in a tone of voice as if to say "here we go, folks") but other than that no other problems or comments. I did not respond to her comment and kept walking past her. I walked into a couple of stores too. Nobody batted an eye.

I didn't see any businesses posted either, and I was actively looking for signs.

Carried openly downtown for about 3 hours straight. No problems! I did not have any contacts with law enforcement. I didn't see any cops and assume nobody called in to complain about me.

:what:WOW!!!!!

I did not open carry on the train or boat as firearms are prohibited. There were no searches or metal detectors, so I could have easily carried concealed. But I intended to drink alcohol on the cruise so I kept the pistol locked up in my luggage.

Andrewsky

imported post

Good story and it's a darn good thing you weren't forced to shoot any Russian illegal immigrants.:lol:

1*

imported post

This is a late reply but, congrats hope you enjoyed our state. Please come on back, and bring your gun too.

protias

imported post

pkbites wrote:
Was up in Alaska last week. Wife & I flew up to Anchorage then took the Alaska Railroad to a ship to cruise the glaciers. Beautiful. That, by the way, makes 49 states that we have been to. Only Hawaii left to complete our goal of seeing all 50.

While in Anchorage I open carried in the downtown area. On Saturday there is this market with about a zillion people around. I'll admit I was a bit nervous because I've never open carried in civillian clothes while walking through such a large crowd.

One woman did stare at my holster (carried a Kahr PM-9 in a nylon holster) and said "oh boy" (in a tone of voice as if to say "here we go, folks") but other than that no other problems or comments. I did not respond to her comment and kept walking past her. I walked into a couple of stores too. Nobody batted an eye.

I didn't see any businesses posted either, and I was actively looking for signs.

Carried openly downtown for about 3 hours straight. No problems! I did not have any contacts with law enforcement. I didn't see any cops and assume nobody called in to complain about me.

I did not open carry on the train or boat as firearms are prohibited. There were no searches or metal detectors, so I could have easily carried concealed. But I intended to drink alcohol on the cruise so I kept the pistol locked up in my luggage.
We just need to get things changed down here so we can do that.

Wirelesscto

imported post

pkbites wrote:

I have been here for 6 years now and I carry everyday either out in the open or Concealed I have had one person that gave me a hard time and they where corrected later by there boss.... Open Carry in Alaska is a none issue very easy and i have stood right next to police and troopers in stores and never ever even be asked for ID ever!

I am From PA i would not do the same there but here no problem!

W