• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Open Carry at Va Beach

psmartin

imported post

cdunlop wrote:
Two days ago,I had a conversation with one of Va beach's finest. he told me that it is now illegal to carry a hand gun OPEN in Va Beach. He stated that is was ok in Norfolk, but Not Va Beach. I tried to explain state preemption; but he said, that the department had just told all officers to stop anyone Open carrying. I asked him what he would do if he came across an open carried person, he stated that they would be detained and the firearm would have its SN # ran and recorded. This aggravated me to no end, but I was not going to get into it with him. Has anything changed to state preemption laws I don't know about?

(sarcasm) -- Maybe VBPD just mean, it's OK to Open Carry, there's nothing wrong with a friendly chat & detention?

I will be visiting July 20th through the 23rd... and plan to OC when biking around the beach area (I hate going on the "actual beach", but 4 days of biking is great exercise & fun)

Anyone close by in VA Beach that will visit me in jail over the weekend?

Cynic

Loudoun County, US 10, VA Sen. 33,Del 32, Virginia
imported post

"please get this over to VCDL..."
"contact VCDL.."
"have you been in touch with VCDL?"

HEY! ARE YOU MEMBERS? If not, SHAME ON YOU!

VCDL is NOT the NRA. VCDL doesn't have a room full of attorneys just waiting for you call.

SURE, send an e-mail if things go wrong, or even if they go right after a fashion.

HOWEVER, if you are going to carry openly, KNOW THE LAW! When you are approached by a STUPID COP, stand your ground. Ask him under what section of code he is going to charge you. Ask him under what section of code he is going to detain you and check your S/N. Ask him under what section of code he has any right to check your S/N.

There are many other things you can ask, but you get the point (I hope).

If you are not willing to know your rights, to know the law, and to stand up for yourself, you have no business carrying openly.

Why is it OK to stir up a mess, then just call an all volunteer group to fix the problem you caused?

Hey, if you are arrested, you can buy a new house!

JOIN VCDL! IT IS CHEAP!

G27

imported post

Cynic wrote:
Hey, if you are arrested, you can buy a new house!
And you aren't that far off from being true. I just have a hard time understanding why cities and municiples think they are above the state law? Same here in Washington. Noone seemsunderstands state preemtion! :cuss:

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Cdunlop or somebody should do a FOIA demanding all memos, orders, directives, and policys of the VBPD regarding OC. It does help VCDL out if some of this legwork is taken care of beforehand.

Longwatch, great idea, I intend to do just this today.

To all the others instructing everyone to contact the VCDL, well, go ahead and do it yourself, their email is leadership@vcdl.org Get Hot!

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, here is the FOIA request I will be giving to the VBPD this afternoon:

Brian X. XXXXX
XXXXXXXX Avenue
Virginia Beach,VA 23XXX

July 10, 2007

To: Virginia Beach Police Department

Dear Custodian of Records for Virginia Beach Police Department:

I am making a request under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (§2.2-3700, et seq.).

I would like copies of the following records:
Code:
I am requesting all records pertaining to the lawful practice of openly
Code:
carrying a firearm (open carry) by law abiding citizens, including, but not
Code:
limited to: memos, orders, directives, policies, text and e-mail
Code:
messages, etc. of the Virginia Beach Police Department.
Pursuant to the Act, I request that within five working days you (a) provide me with all the records I request; (b) if the records are exempt from disclosure, identify which records are going to be withheld pursuant to which specific Code provision; or (c) if the records will be provided in part, identify which records are being withheld pursuant to which specific Code provision, and release the remaining, nonexempt records to me.

If it is not practically possible to provide the records within five working days, please notify me that you will need an additional seven working days, as provided in the Act.

As provided by FOIA, please contact me if the cost of this request will exceed $25. Also, an acknowledgement of receipt of this request would be appreciated.

If you have questions concerning my request, please contact me atXXX XXX XXXXorXXX XXX XXXXso that we can work something out.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

LEO 229

imported post

Look forward to seeing what you get.

So that letter is the basic format for FOIA?

infopro411

imported post

in virginias Beach you should just listen to leo. its the best policy. i see leo on bikes near ocean front. now THEY know the stuff!:)

seriously, just hide gun even without cpw and leos never know.

Wooley

imported post

infopro411 wrote:
in virginias Beach you should just listen to leo. its the best policy. i see leo on bikes near ocean front. now THEY know the stuff!:)

seriously, just hide gun even without cpw and leos never know.

Again,

Holy

Crap.

infopro411

imported post

ok, i joke on bad carry. but me, i'm bail agent and all leo know me. i get away with anyways. you shouldn't.

always better to dowhat leo ask even if against the law

infopro411

imported post

i don't give advice i make joke. you take what you hear.

all leos my friend and don't care what i do.

longwatch, what do you carry?