• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a 12-Gauge for open-carry

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'm looking for an affordable shotgun for home-defense/sport. Right now I'm leaning towards a Mossberg 500 Mariner 12, 6 shot, 18in barrel. With the right package, it comes with a regular butt-stock AND a pistol grip. I've been leaving towards the Mariner because it has a stainless steel finish...for some reason I like it. The butt stock would be good for most applications, and the pistol grip would be good for situations requiring the shorter weapon, and for slinging on my back to open carry.

Now don't think I'm going to be stupid about the open carry thing...I'm partially mentioning this so I don't get hounded for asking about shotguns in an open carry handgun forum :Dbut I am also going to push the envelope in logical areas (while camping, going to and from the range, and of course, wal-mart).

So anyone have any suggestions on a good social smooth-bore?

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm simply looking for a reliable 12-gauge, preferably with an 18 in barrel. I don't need bells and whistles. The only "options" I'd want are possibly an available pistol grip/collapsible stock, and the ability to attach a surefire. If I could afford a benelli M4, I'd have one...but I can't, lol.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Mossberg 500 , either get a Persuader with the 18" barrel $250ish or buy one with a 26" field barrel and buy an after market 18" barrel, total $300.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Be sure to practice with a pistol grip, or at least try to borrow one to shoot before buying. I find them useless, if you actually want to hit anything, or be able to use your wrist for the next week.

psmartin

imported post

I don't think you're going to find a good "dual purpose" shotgun (when I say dual-purpose.. I mean.. one for skeet/trap shooting.. and one for taking out the trash)

The Mossberg 500 series(especially the "Just in Case" models w/ pistol-grip)are lightweight & intimidating.. Stick a SureFire flashlight on the front and you're ready to "take out the trash"

If you get a pistol grip JIC 500, I would use birdshot.. It holds 6 rounds, and it close range w/ a 18" barrel, that is deadly enough. You *COULD* use high-velocity buck shot, but you'll need to see a doctor about your wrist!

Low-End shotguns are dirt cheap.. Don't try restricting yourself to one which is dual purpose. Get a Mossberg 500 JIC for home defense, and an old Remington 1100 for sport. (of course.. some guys swear by the Mossberg 500 for skeet)

DreQo wrote:
I'm looking for an affordable shotgun for home-defense/sport. Right now I'm leaning towards a Mossberg 500 Mariner 12, 6 shot, 18in barrel. With the right package, it comes with a regular butt-stock AND a pistol grip. I've been leaving towards the Mariner because it has a stainless steel finish...for some reason I like it. The butt stock would be good for most applications, and the pistol grip would be good for situations requiring the shorter weapon, and for slinging on my back to open carry.

Now don't think I'm going to be stupid about the open carry thing...I'm partially mentioning this so I don't get hounded for asking about shotguns in an open carry handgun forum :Dbut I am also going to push the envelope in logical areas (while camping, going to and from the range, and of course, wal-mart).

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm simply looking for a reliable 12-gauge, preferably with an 18 in barrel. I don't need bells and whistles. The only "options" I'd want are possibly an available pistol grip/collapsible stock, and the ability to attach a surefire. If I could afford a benelli M4, I'd have one...but I can't, lol.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have to disagree on using birdshot loads for self defense purposes. From what I understand it is a marginal stopper. I would point out what happened to Harry Whittington as an example.

USN_MA1

imported post

I use my winchester 1300 speed pump for business and pleasure. I tell ya, shooting skeet with that is a challenge and a blast(pun intended). I think it makes you a better shooter. :cool:

I have a pistol grip/stock combo. No issues and easy to shoot(bird shot to slugs).

gun guy

imported post

I'd go with a mossberg 500/590 marinerwith a20" barrel, 9 shot capacity and kinda heavy. Probably get a foldin stock instead of just using the pistol grip.

pix2099402578.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Lots of good responses. As far as the concerns with the pistol grip goes, I do understand, but I've also shot trap with a mossberg 500 with said grip. Honestly didn't bother me a bit, and I was fairly accurate. His buddy had a Mariner, though, and I loved that, as well.

If I were to get the pistol grip, it would only be in addition to the buttstock, and I would probably only rarely switch them out. I would much rather shot a shotgun with a full stock, but I I just feel like I have to have the shorter option...it's the tacti-cool in me I guess.
I'd go with a mossberg 500/590 marinerwith a20" barrel, 9 shot capacity and kinda heavy. Probably get a foldin stock instead of just using the pistol grip.
Good suggestion. Why do you suggest the 20" 9-shot vice the 18.5" 6-shot?
If you get a pistol grip JIC 500, I would use birdshot.. It holds 6 rounds, and it close range w/ a 18" barrel, that is deadly enough. You *COULD* use high-velocity buck shot, but you'll need to see a doctor about your wrist!
In a self defense situation, I'd probably be loading with low-recoil 00 or 000 buck.

I don't think you're going to find a good "dual purpose" shotgun (when I say dual-purpose.. I mean.. one for skeet/trap shooting.. and one for taking out the trash)

I will have fun shooting trap with any shotgun, including a mossberg, lol. The other option I was considering was a Remington 870 with a 26"-28" barrel and then buying a second 18" barrel.

-Thanks for all the responses, guys. Keep 'em comin'.

Legba

imported post

My next dual-purpose shotgun is the Norinco M97T copy of the old Winchester "trench broom" - 20" barrel, 5-shot, cylinder bore (unchoked), with heat shield and bayonet mount. Awesome anti-personnel or anti-bunny weapon (can be used for deer slugs also with the open bore).

Norinco makes stuff of highly variable quality - the Uzi copies they used to make were crap - but the shotgun gets consistently favorable reviews. They run $300-odd new.

-ljp

tarzan1888

imported post

DreQo wrote:

I have the Mossberg 50577.

That is the 500 series Persuader with a 20 inch barrel and an 8 shot capacity.

I love it. Not only is it good for home defense, but I take it skeet shooting and duck hunting.

Liked shooting my gun as they shot better with it. A couple of them have looked into buying one since we were shooting a couple of weeks ago.

I also would forget the pistol grip. You do have to aim these and you want them to be against your shoulder

I got mine last year, on sale at Big 5 Sports for $220.

Great gun. the barrel is long enough, and at the same time short enough to be very versatile.:monkey

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I found two more options...tell me what you guys think...

85330.jpg

They're both auto-loaders. The info is on the pic, obviously. Cap. is 5, but I'm thinking it could be extended? MSRP on the Tactical is $543, and the Combo is $558.

85325.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
Those are nice looking shooters...;)
Indeed. One should note that the finish on the "tactical" model is matte black..the picture makes it look kinda shiney, but it's not. I'm assuming the combo is shiney like it appears, since it says it has the standard "blued" finish. Does anyone know if the tube on either of those could be extended?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, the shorty has always been tempting, but it's an "any other weapon" which requires extra registration or something. Furthermore, I guarantee I'd be stopped by police about the legality of the weapon...I WOULD NOT be offended if they questioned whether it was legal, lord knows I would in that position lol.

Mainsail

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Yeah, the shorty has always been tempting, but it's an "any other weapon" which requires extra registration or something. Furthermore, I guarantee I'd be stopped by police about the legality of the weapon...I WOULD NOT be offended if they questioned whether it was legal, lord knows I would in that position lol.
It requires an AOW stamp, $5.
Yes, you will likely be stopped and every officer on duty (and a few off-duty as well) will come by to oogle it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
DreQo wrote:
It requires an AOW stamp, $5.
Yes, you will likely be stopped and every officer on duty (and a few off-duty as well) will come by to oogle it.

There are a lot of better things I could do with $800+ (price of weapon, taxes, transfer, holster, etc.)

Anyone want to get back on topic and give me your opinion on the two semi-autos up there? :D