Thread: FROM FOX NEWS

Post imported post

Texas State Lawmaker Opposing Deadly Force Bill Shoots Would-Be Thief
    Monday, July 09, 2007

HOUSTON— A state lawmaker who opposed a bill giving Texans stronger right to defend themselves with deadly force pulled a gun and shot a man he says was trying to steal copper wiring from a construction site, police said Monday.[/b]

Rep. Borris Miles[/b] told police he was fixing a leak on the second floor of the Houston house he's building Sunday night when he heard a noise downstairs and saw two men trying to steal the copper. After Miles confronted the pair, one of the men threw a pocketknife at him, Houston Police spokesman Victor Senties.

Miles, a former law enforcement officer, shot the man in the left leg, police said. The wounded suspect was being treated at a Houston hospital. Police were trying to identify the other suspect.

Charges of aggravated robbery are pending against the wounded suspect, Senties said.

Police said Miles, who is in his freshman term, is licensed to carry a concealed weapon. No charges have been filed against Miles, Senties said.

Miles, a Democrat, voted against a bill that gives Texans stronger legal right to defend themselves with deadly force in their homes, vehicles, and workplaces. The so-called "castle doctrine," passed by the Legislature this year, states that a person has no duty to retreat from an intruder before using deadly force. The law goes into effect Sept. 1.

Post imported post

That's ridiculous. He's lucky he reaps the benefits of the bill he tried to quash. I bet a pain & suffering suit from the robber would have changed his mind anyways...
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

I've actually been surprised at how many Democrat politicians carry firearms with them. It seems very hypocritical to me anyways...

Post imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
    I've actually been surprised at how many Democrat politicians carry firearms with them. It seems very hypocritical to me anyways...
    It's called "Guns for me but not for thee"

Common among antis, especially politicians and Hollywood types.