Thread: 1911 holster comfortable?

Post imported post

I live in Tennessee were open carry is allowed and have decided to open carry and would like to know what would be the most comfortable to wear.Because weight of a 1911 can weigh you down I also would like info on a stiffer belt the isn't black nylon.

Post imported post

Try Galco, excellent products. They are upper dollar but well worth it.

I carry all the time, with their 1 3/4 belt and holster, very comfortable.

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Holsters are a personal thing. Your going to have to try several before your likely to find one YOU like.
    As for the belt. I paste below a reply I just posted in another thread a few days back:

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/dress-belts.html

Check out model "H"
    Double thickness, spring steel ribbon insert between layers.

These are all I wear.

My "every day" belt is a tan model H that with the exception of OC (recently acquired black version) and rare occation dress (suit & tie) this is the belt I have been wearing daily for 9 years. Yep... 9. And it always has a G23 or 1911 hanging from it + accessories

Doubles as a tow strap for your car/truck

Post imported post

That is a nice belt Patriot. I use a simple leather Dickies belt that suits me just fine. It all just depends on what you like. I carry 1911 damn near exclusively, no issues. My mags and whatnot offset the load so it doesnt pull to one side.

Post imported post

Texan wrote:
    Try Galco, excellent products. They are upper dollar but well worth it.

I carry all the time, with their 1 3/4 belt and holster, very comfortable.
    +1

I just bought a Galco for my Rock Island M1911-A1. I do not leave home without it. Very comfortable and sometimes I forget it is there, almost. I also counter balance with 2 full mags on the otherside. And that leather smell....nice.

Post imported post

I have a Galco now in the paddle holster design and like it but wondered if there was any others out there picked it up used for $20 was thrilled about that since it looked new. Thanks for the advise on the belts will have to pick one up soon.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

djoem_2007 wrote:
    I have a Galco now in the paddle holster design and like it but wondered if there was any others out there picked it up used for $20 was thrilled about that since it looked new. Thanks for the advise on the belts will have to pick one up soon.
    While I carry a Galco myself, you might want to look at something with a retention system. A lot of the guys here carry 1911 style pistols in Blackhawk Sherpa holsters, and they seem to like them a lot.

I just prefer leather.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I'm waiting for the next gunshow so I can try a bunch out. That strategy worked for me the last time I needed one.