• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 holster comfortable?

djoem_2007

imported post

I live in Tennessee were open carry is allowed and have decided to open carry and would like to know what would be the most comfortable to wear.Because weight of a 1911 can weigh you down I also would like info on a stiffer belt the isn't black nylon.

Texan

imported post

Try Galco, excellent products. They are upper dollar but well worth it.

I carry all the time, with their 1 3/4 belt and holster, very comfortable.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Holsters are a personal thing. Your going to have to try several before your likely to find one YOU like.
As for the belt. I paste below a reply I just posted in another thread a few days back:

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/dress-belts.html

Check out model "H"
Double thickness, spring steel ribbon insert between layers.

These are all I wear.

My "every day" belt is a tan model H that with the exception of OC (recently acquired black version) and rare occation dress (suit & tie) this is the belt I have been wearing daily for 9 years. Yep... 9. And it always has a G23 or 1911 hanging from it + accessories :)

Doubles as a tow strap for your car/truck ;)

USN_MA1

imported post

That is a nice belt Patriot. I use a simple leather Dickies belt that suits me just fine. It all just depends on what you like. I carry 1911 damn near exclusively, no issues. My mags and whatnot offset the load so it doesnt pull to one side.

blk

imported post

Texan wrote:
Try Galco, excellent products. They are upper dollar but well worth it.

I carry all the time, with their 1 3/4 belt and holster, very comfortable.

+1

I just bought a Galco for my Rock Island M1911-A1. I do not leave home without it. Very comfortable and sometimes I forget it is there, almost. I also counter balance with 2 full mags on the otherside. And that leather smell....nice.

djoem_2007

imported post

I have a Galco now in the paddle holster design and like it but wondered if there was any others out there picked it up used for $20 was thrilled about that since it looked new. Thanks for the advise on the belts will have to pick one up soon.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

djoem_2007 wrote:
I have a Galco now in the paddle holster design and like it but wondered if there was any others out there picked it up used for $20 was thrilled about that since it looked new. Thanks for the advise on the belts will have to pick one up soon.

While I carry a Galco myself, you might want to look at something with a retention system. A lot of the guys here carry 1911 style pistols in Blackhawk Sherpa holsters, and they seem to like them a lot.

I just prefer leather.

Regards