• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Island/Skagit Counties

Mightybigjosh

imported post

Hi there, new to the forum, new to OC'in too. Not a lot of people around here carry, even CC, so I feel a bit out of place in Oak Harbor. I'd love to join you guys at your get-togethers but that's a bit of a drive for me, so if anyone is in the area, give me a holler for lunch or just to punch some holes in some paper!

A little about me: I am active duty NAVY at the Air Station here. I'm also married with no kids. I own a Mosin Nagant M38 and a Ruger P90 (which I carry when ever I can). My wife is a little gun shy but is pretty supportive of my desire to protect her.

Thanks for the support,

Josh

Mightybigjosh

imported post

Man, we're just all over the place:p!!! We still need to get together for a Sam's range outing. Too much going on this weekend but maybe Saturday after next? I went with a friend two weeks ago and went through about 400 rounds! (god bless cheep-o walmart ammo:celebrate). Looking forward to packing with you one of these days!

just_a_car

imported post

Yeah, we really do need to get out to Sam's sometime.

If you can make it out to the July 21st Saturday Lunch/BBQ down in Tacoma, then I'll see ya there. :cool:

just_a_car

imported post

Dang. Well we do it every third Saturday of the month, so if you're able to plan for that (as much as you can "plan" in the military), then at least it's easy to plan ahead for.

swift

imported post

I come to the Oak Harbor area every summer for a month or two, I just joined the North Whidbey Sportsmen's Association that has a great range between the Navy Air Base & Oak Harbor. It only costs $60/yr to be a member (plus a 1 time $25 background check fee). You can find info @ http://www.northwhidbeysportsmen.org/

To join you first need to attend one of their monthly meetings on the 2nd Wednesday of each month @ 7pm & introduce yourself to the members at the meeting. Once you become a member you'll get a membership card & gate code for unlimited range use from 7am to 9pm or dark except Sundays, where it is from 12pm to 9pm.

There is also Green's Gun Shop & Gun range @ 4778 N Monkey Hill rd, but they're only open Thur, Fri, & Sat from 10am-6pm. Range fee is $10. That is the only public range on the island that I'm aware of - the other ranges are all members only clubs such as NWSA between Oak Harbor & the Navy air base, another just south of Coupeville & 1 or 2 others on the south end of the island.

Mightybigjosh

imported post

I usually go to some property my friend owns just outside of Oak Harbor city limits, but I have been to Green's a few times... now that it's nice out I'll be going there more since it's an outdoor range. I also go to Sam's gun range in Everett off of HWY 99 and Airport Rd. Just send me a PM if you're in the area, just got some more ammo for my Mosin too!

jenzenk

imported post

Josh, I was stationed at NASWI for eight years (can't wait to get back) and I OC'd in Oak Harbor quite a bit. Never had any problems, some starnge looks, but no issues. The OHPD is too busy busting sailors for DWI anyway.

Give it a shot and educate the locals if the need arises, but educate yourself so as not to put yourself on the defensive should one of the local cops stop you.

Own a Moisin Nagant huh?? Never liked the kick in thise guns. If your looking for any guns out there I can refer you to my friend who lives in Admirals Cove, has his FFL and likes dealing with Navy folks. Retired Navy and much, MUCH better prices than Kesselring or OH Ace Hardware.

jenzenk

imported post

Swift,

Don't forget about Central Whidbey Sportmas Club just north of the OLF on Rte 20.

75yd pistol range, Bowling Pin Range, 100 and 200yd Rifle range, Trap range and a nice club house. When I was there it was $50 a year (2 1/2 years ago)

Ken

swift

imported post

jenzenk wrote:
Swift,

Don't forget about Central Whidbey Sportmas Club just north of the OLF on Rte 20.

75yd pistol range, Bowling Pin Range, 100 and 200yd Rifle range, Trap range and a nice club house. When I was there it was $50 a year (2 1/2 years ago)

Ken
Thanks Ken. Yep I've heard that the Central Whidbey Sportsmen's Association is a very good club too. I have not been there myself yet, but I have a friend that lives in Coupeville who said it is very nice. The only reason I picked NWSA over CWSA was location - it saves me a half an hour drive as the place I am staying is North of Oak Harbor and it only takes me about 4 minutes to get to the NWSA Range.

For those interested in CWSA their website is:
http://www.cwsaonline.org/

NWSA website is:
http://www.northwhidbeysportsmen.org/

Cougar125

imported post

So are any of you still in the area? I just recently joined here and would be interested in some local shoots or get togethers. I'm still in the market for a holster, but from the looks of it, there aren't many options available for my gun.

tstanfield12

imported post

I am also up in Whidbey. I go shooting mostly out at Greenes and Plantation up in Bellingham when I get the chance.

jenzenk would you be willing to share some info on your FFL contact in Admiral's Cove?

Cougar125

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:
So are any of you still in the area? I just recently joined here and would be interested in some local shoots or get togethers. I'm still in the market for a holster, but from the looks of it, there aren't many options available for my gun.

What gun do you carry?

When I get back from Iraq in December, let's all get together and do an OC lunch or dinner!

Currently I don't due to the lack of a holster, but that should be fixed in short notice. I have a Ruger KP90 .45.

Lunch/Dinner sounds great.

Cougar125

imported post

I'll got talk to Scotty at Ace. He used to be in...got out as an AT2 and now he works there. He's actually the guy that sold me the gun. I've been needing to see him again anyways because the wife wants a Walter P22 to carry in her purse. I'll check there though. Got a reloading day set for next Saturday with my father-in-law. He's gonna tumble the brass for me this week.

Mightybigjosh

imported post

I'm planning a trip over to Green's today at about 10-11 am with a couple co-workers. Any who want to join in are welcome. Range fee of $10 per shooter.

If you don't know where Green's gun shop is, just pm me for directions.

Hope to hear back from you!

Josh

Cougar125

imported post

If I didn't already have things planned today, I'd definitely be in. I am planning to go next Sunday to test some reloads I'm doing Saturday.

Cougar125

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Can you give me directions from Baghdad? Do they take AAFES POG's at Greenes?
:dude:

Yeah...you get on an airlift back to NAS. :celebrate

Then you take 20 towards Anacortes. Turn Right on Monkey Hill Road. You'll go through some curves, stay on Monkey Hill. You'll go through a stop sign and it'll be on the Right hand side. Kinda hard to see. You'll probably pass it first. I usually do.