• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of.... Tractor Supply Company?

AbNo

imported post

After getting to hear the "puh-TING!" of steel plates as targets, There was a definitive decision to pick up some.

Having been in there to browse a couple of times, I figured Tractor Supply Co. on 33 in Harrisonburg might have them....

Didn't think anything of OC'ing with Shayne, "It's TSC, This is one of the LAST places I would expect anyone to have a problem with [OC]."

Boy was I wrong...

We go in, make our way around the store, poking at odd bits and ends. In the back corner of the story, we pass by three women, two of whom obviously work there. One I would also presume (wrongly, I found out later) works there.

We're quickly running out of aisles, and the two workers come up to us, with the third woman skulking behind them.

Ch: *look of "That guy probably shouldn't be here"* "Excuse me, sir...."

Me: "Ah, yes ma`am, do you have any half-inch or three-quarter inch steel plate? Perhaps one by one foot?"

Ch: "Steel plate? No, I wanted to tell you you can't have that here."

I started to ask her specifically what the reasoning was (I was expecting "OC is illegal!!!one), when Skulker jumps in from behind the three of them...

Sk: "Do you HAVE a permit for that? That's ILLEGAL!" (original ephasis included)

Me: "Open carry does not require a permit in Virginia." *thinking "God, here we go...."

Me: *turn back to the workers Ch and Ni* *start to state that it was not posted,

A three minute argument with this Skulker (never got her name) ensues.

Ch and Ni ask us to take our guns outside. I ask if I can simply grab a HiLift Jack I'd seen and leave, as I had no desire to return to the store if I was going to be harassed like that.

The workers agreed, I thanked them, gave a displeased look to Skulker, grabbed my jack, and waited in line. The girl at the counter was pleasant, but obviously nervous. I'm sure she could hear the :cuss: and :cuss: from the front, as it's a pretty open area.

I meet up with Shayne, who simply went outside and waited in his car. As we were starting to leave the parking lot, and discussing what happened, he commented that someone should probably call the manager, and I asked if he'd wait a minute while I went in, unarmed, and got the names of the three women inside.

I go in, armed with only a pen and a receipt, they aren't where we left them, but I can hear them behind the rack of car batteries, an employees-only area, which only makes me think EVEN MORE that Skuler works there...

So, I wait a minute, and Ch, Ni, and Skulker come out. I apologize to Ch and Ni, and explain to them that, because of the actions of their coworker (nodding in Sk's direction), and am immediately interrupted by all three of them that she's a customer, and does not in fact work there.

So, being that only two of them work there, I try to apologize to Ch and Ni, stating that, based on her actions, I had presumed Skulker worked there, and thanked them for their level-headed actions earlier, and started to say I was still going to need to call someone, as Skulker's actions were quite inappropriate, and I would not shop in a place where I would be harassed like this...

Ch (apparently the spokesman for the group :D) started to tell me something. Skulker, apparently HORRIBLY INSULTED that someone might call her out for being a :monkey in public YELLS over the top of them about how VT this, and dangerous that, and how it's not needed in TSC....

I start to refute some of her points, as before, in the previous encounter, but she continues on the "If I talk over them, they can't prove me wrong" technique....

Finally fed up with getting interrupted six times in a row, I finally tell her...

"If you'd quit being a LIBERAL for five seconds, and stop talking over me, perhaps I could say something."

It's fun being a good foot taller than other people, they
listen when you speak up. :lol:

Fires of rage burn in Skulker's eyes, she balls her fists, reaches one hand behind her, and starts walking towards me.

Ch, apparently knowing this woman pretty well, literally grabs Skulker by the shoulders and pulls her back.

Skulker pretty mutters a lot, and tries to talk over Ch,, Ni and myself as we pretty much ignore her while I talk to Ch and am told the manager is on vacation.

Ch also told me they'd enquired with the Hburg PD, and the PD told them it was in fact legal.

I should also note that I lived in Chestnut Ridge, the apartment complex behind TSC. I got to watch a drive-by shooting there right before I moved out early this year.

So, next week, I'll call TSC, ask for the manager that was on vacation this current week, and... that's going to be fun....

"I simply will not patronize a business where I am forced to disarm, if there are shootings down the same street, and crazy people trying to physically assault me in your stores."

On the plus side, I DID manage to get a 48" Hi-Lift jack for under $60....

This won't discourage me from OC, though. Kind of reminds me of going to a Protest Warrior event.... :celebrate

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

I've got a feeling that "crazy customer" was seconds away from pepper spraying you. Of course it would have been your fault, what with you coming in and threatening them with that inanimate object and all. :p

LoveMyCountry

AbNo

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
I've got a feeling that "crazy customer" was seconds away from pepper spraying you. Of course it would have been your fault, what with you coming in and threatening them with that inanimate object and all. :p

LoveMyCountry

And don't foret about VT. (Notice how, everytime there's a shooting, it's where guns are banned)

How does she know it's not loaded? (Her eyes bugged when I said "I can assure you, these guns are loaded")

And how could she know if the safety is on? (Never mind an XD has three integrated safeties....)

How does she know if I bumped it, it wouldn't go off? (Drop safety, as I'd pointed out right before)

What if they failed? (I almost started to say "What if your brakes fail?", but Ch intervened)

Wooley

imported post

Me? I would have stepped to meether aggressive actionand wreck her with an armbaras she reached behind her back and approached me.

I'm sorry, if you walk towards me and place your hand behind your back in an aggressive manner, you're hitting the ground. No question about it.

usndoc

imported post

Do me a favor? When you talk to the manager let him know that I am waiting on a response to this.

I have newly aquired a chicken farm. I went to TSC in B'Burg last week to pick up a few items. I am getting ready to upgrade a lot of stuff on my farm. TSC is the closest and at times cheapest source for some items. We are talking about thousands of dollars. I will take my busness elsewhere.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like "Skulker" was on holiday from Western State. WOW, you did well, sir. I'd say that "Sk" was behind the whole mess and the 2 others just went along and were trying to placate "Sk". The nervousness by the employee was that she knew what "Sk" was probably capable of. If it all works out with TSC, I'd continue carrying , just in case "Sk" shows up again.:cool:The Valley just ain't the same, anymore.:X

vt357

imported post

Fires of rage burn in Skulker's eyes, she balls her fists, reaches one hand behind her, and starts walking towards me.
It sounds to me like Sk thinks people shouldn't carry guns because they might get angry and shoot someone... maybe because if she carried a gun she would get angry and shoot someone. :banghead:

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

vt357 wrote:
It sounds to me like Sk thinks people shouldn't carry guns because they might get angry and shoot someone... maybe because if she carried a gun she would get angry and shoot someone. :banghead:
Like most anti's I've encountered she suffers from obvious projection issues.

AbNo

imported post

usndoc wrote:
Do me a favor?  When you talk to the manager let him know that I am waiting on a response to this.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and say this was all Skulker's fault. Just 'cause I'm nice like that. :D

That being said, OC at your local TSC, and see what happens, or even call yours, and ask for the manager. If they say know, be sure to let 'em know you'll be updating the VCDL. :X

Paramedic, the woman obviously was, if she didn't work there, because she was in an employee-only section (which I will make mention of, to find out if she works there or not)

And really, I think I could've handled the situation better, but, we've all got to get our first confrontation in sometime, right? :p

AbNo

imported post

Hmm. Need to get groceries. Wasn't going to OC, but now I'm a little PO'ed, and hard-headed. :D

Thanks for the uplift, guys.

Now, where's my belt....

Wooley

imported post

Yes, and don't forget to use your hands the next time you are presented with a chance use less than lethal force.

I guess you could call that educating while OCing, but not educating about OCing...more like educating on keeping ones mouth shut and not acting aggressively towards peacable citizens.

67GT390FB

imported post

Wooley wrote:
AbNo wrote:
And really, I think I could've handled the situation better...SNIP
Yeah, you could have devastated her with an elbow while she reached for a yet unseen weapon.

the first time i left it alone the second is too much to take.

Yeah that sounds like a real smart course of action. larger taller gun toting male slams admittedly stupid and obnoxiousbut smaller female to the ground and goes to jail for assault (even if he is found innocent or not charged big hassle) when he obviously did the right thing as is. She looked like the goof not abno.

i guess you'd bust her in the head with your crenelated flash light after puting her in an arm bar an tossing her to the floor.

did you think even for a second that this idiot was bluffing trying to get just the sort of reaction that you would seem to be more than willing to provide. guy with gun assaults female customer in tractor supply nice headline courtesy of wooley.

Wooley

imported post

Thats why I CC and lots of times don't carry at all. Just waiting for the right person to make the wrong move.

You've got me pinned GT. ;)

So yes, I don't care who it is, act aggresively and you will recieve overwhelming aggression in return.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I agree with 67GT.
In a situation like this, where the woman is obviously not a 'serious' threat to your well being it would be better to take it. Even if she OC-sprayed you. I would leave and then call the cops. Clear case of assault by her.
Self defense (to a point) may be justified but may be hard to assert in court.
In situations like this it's always better to be the victim.
[/b]

Wooley

imported post

Yes, in a situation like this it would be better to be the victim.

But what if she was a nut and was CCing? Reach like that and you're eating floor, fight me and I'll dislocate an arm. In all honesty it would be a knee jerk reaction from me. If close enough I'd rather use a non-lethal method to subdue rather than a) draw down, or b) get drawn down on.

If you see what may very well be presentation of a weapon and you are close enough to stop the draw and eliminate the threat, why not?

"Officer, she was acting in an aggressive manner and reached behind her back. I closed the distance and controlled her arm until she wasn't a threat."

Wooley

imported post

And to elaborate on being close enough to stop a threat, maybe tooth removal via elbow is a bit much...but surely placing yourself in a position to control an arm and prevent a draw would be appropriate. If a 220 pound dude did that to you, would you just stand there to see what he comes up with? No? Then why a girl? You're not going to be in controlof her either when she puts a gun in your face.

When confronted like that you have no clue what she's capable of. Treat her as a threat and deal with her accordingly.