• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So what are the requirements for ID?

deanf

imported post

When an officer wants to ID you, what information are you required to give? The minimalist in me says "first and last name only." I know they will request first, last, middle initial and DOB, and maybe address.

What is legally required?

(assuming the officer has authority, in a particular case, to demand that you ID yourself.)

G27

imported post

It's questions like these that get me wondering. Honestly, what are you trying to hide? I know it's a question of rights, but hell, if the man wants my name I'll give it to him. I'll also tell him I'm with OCDO, and to make sure he writes that last part down, too! Get us some press coverage! haha. Just kidding. ;)

compmanio365

imported post

G27 wrote:
It's questions like these that get me wondering. Honestly, what are you trying to hide? I know it's a question of rights, but hell, if the man wants my name I'll give it to him. I'll also tell him I'm with OCDO, and to make sure he writes that last part down, too! Get us some press coverage! haha. Just kidding. ;)

It's not a matter of "hiding" anything, as a matter of defending our RIGHT to be anonymous in our daily lives, without having to show "papers" to every government official that demands we do so.....when we are required to show I'D on demand, it takes us a big step closer to a police state.....it goes hand in hand with why we open carry; if you don't use your rights and defend them, they WILL disappear........

joeroket

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Since Washington is not a "stop and identify" state, you don't technically have to give a name.

For the most part it is not. There is one code that allows it but it is a motor vehicle code that is only enforceable by the State Patrol. Snohomish county advertises that they can do this legally but the RCW says otherwise.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.64.070

deanf

imported post

Since Washington is not a "stop and identify" state, you don't technically have to give a name.

Allow me to rephrase: When legally required to ID yourself to police, how much information do you have to give? Is first and last ok, or is there some legal requirement for first, last, middle initial and DOB? Or more?