• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of McDonalds

IanB

imported post

PackininVB wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
When any agent of the business (owner, management, or broom pusher) asks you to do either of these, you must comply immediately.
NSL- I understand where your coming from but do you really think that the cart-boy/janitor/stockboy has the same authority as a manager? Like what happened with me at target, the cart-boy said i couldnt go in, i talked to the manager and she said it was ok. Thats why they are managers right? To manage things? If the stock-boy started doing the job of the manager like assigning work for people to do or ordering a bunch of stuff for the store, wouldnt the owner/boss be pretty pissed? Do you think that if some lower-level employee tells you togo you should just leave or ask for a manager? I think the order to vacate should come from someone with the authority to do so.
Under "normal" circumstances I'd agree with you. But in the scenario of a man entering a business with a gun, however legal it may be, if any employee were to ask me remove my gun before returning... I'd comply and work on management from there. Some businesses empower ANY employee to eject patrons for any reason. A few examples:

• Bouncers at clubs - they are not managers but act as an agent of the manager to select who enters based on age, appearance (dress code), sobriety (drugs or excessive drunkenness), and weapons. Do you think your 2A rights trump private property rights at a dance club? Can I be presentnext timeyou try toOC a firearm into a dance club? I could use a laugh, and I'd love to Youtube the encounter.
  • Fights - if a fight breaks out in a business, do you think the manager is required to tell the combatants to leave immediately, or can any employee make that demand?
  • Taxi cabs - does the taxi driver have to call dispatch to request the managerinstruct youto exit the cab before you reach your destination if you are being rude? I'm specifically referring to a company owned cab and not the independent driver types. Do you think a cabbie would pick you up on the side of the street if he saw a gun on your hip?
Now granted, these examples are not "broom pushers", but how agreeable do you think the management will be to your argument for OC if you decide to not comply with a reasonable request from his employee, broom pusher or not? So, your Target experience of ignoring the request of the greeter and dealing with a manager worked once. How effective do you think that method will be in future encounters?

It comes down to being reasonable. If you show respect and deal with the situation politely, you'd be amazed at how far a manager or owner will bend over to accommodate you.

unrequited

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I'm specifically referring to a company owned cab and not the independent driver types.
Ooh... you saved yourself there! > )

j/k heh, I dunno why everybody's wasting so much time & effort on people who don't understand the issue and just seem that they want an argument...

LEO 229

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Under "normal" circumstances I'd agree with you. But in the scenario of a man entering a business with a gun, however legal it may be, if any employee were to ask me remove my gun before returning... I'd comply and work on management from there. Some businesses empower ANY employee to eject patrons for any reason. A few examples:
...snip...
Now granted, these examples are not "broom pushers", but how agreeable do you think the management will be to your argument for OC if you decide to not comply with a reasonable request from his employee, broom pusher or not? So, your Target experience of ignoring the request of the greeter and dealing with a manager worked once. How effective do you think that method will be in future encounters?

It comes down to being reasonable. If you show respect and deal with the situation politely, you'd be amazed at how far a manager or owner will bend over to accommodate you.

I agree... If your asked to leave because your armed... do so politely. Contact the owner or manager to discuss the problem afterward. You have the right to be armed but not on the property of another. When your in the business of another... you need to abide by their decisions.

If the employee was mistaken and your an ass about it.. the owner is sure to side with the employee. But if your calm and casual... and the owner did not have a decision either way.. the owner may actually side with you.

wsweeks2

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
wsweeks2 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Please point to the part of the second amendment (words that limit and control the GOVERNMENT) that says ANYTHING about your right to force a property owner to allow a stranger to carry a firearm on private property. There is no such provision.
Please point to the part of the 2nd Amendment that discuss property owners rights.

My apologies to people who already "get" this stuff. I am certain that when "wsweeks2" posed the question he knew the answer would be so long no one would try to respond. So while it is not a complete explanation, it is all I have time for right now.

wsweeks2 -

I can see we are still dealing with a reading and comprehension disability. I and others have repeated stated (please feel free to actually read the posts in this thread), that the 2nd amendment DOES NOT offer protections against personal property rights. It does however indirectly support them, because you see that property owner you wish to force your will on, also has the right to carry arms, and to use them in defense of himself and his property. It is YOU that keeps insisting that your right to carry a firearm transcends all other rights. In that regard you are still very wrong. Your rights stop where the rights of others begin.

The second amendment DOES indirectly contain a property right in that is says "Keep" arms. Clearly arms are property and the amendment says the government may not interfere with that right of ownership. But that right of ownership, and or carry does not give you the right to carry that gun onto the property of another, or use it to interfere with the property rights of another.

You have the right to free speech, but you do not have the right to force people to listen, and limits can be placed on your right to free speech, in support of the rights of others not to listen to you.

The property rights embodied in the Constitution are part of the main document itself. Property rights, unlike firearms rights, were NOT an after thought. The men who wrote the Constitution, were property owners. The document, and in fact the Revolution, was largely about property rights.

It is obvious that you have either not read the declaration of Independence, the Constitution, or the Federalist and anti-federalist papers. If you have we are still left with a comprehension problem, as all these document make it quite clear what the feeling was about property rights.

Just why to you think the 3rd amendment was written? It was to affirm the rights of property owners and to prevent the government from taking over property to house soldiers. What do you think the basic premise underlying the fourth amendment is? It is based on property rights, and it restricts the government from infringing those rights without due process.

The original premise of the 4th amendment was based in the following concepts -
''The great end for which men entered in society was to secure their property. That right is preserved sacred and incommunicable in all instances where it has not been taken away or abridged by some public law for the good of the whole. . . . By the laws of England, every invasion of private property, be it ever so minute, is a trespass. No man can set foot upon my ground without my license but he is liable to an action though the damage be nothing . . . .'' Protection of property interests as the basis of the Fourth Amendment found easy acceptance in the Supreme Court 30 and that acceptance controlled decision in numerous cases.

More modern interpretations have held that the 4th amendment actually protect privacy rights and not property rights, but this is actually just a broadening of the original meaning to accommodate changes in technology.

How about the 14th amendment-
Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Are you familiar with the term "Castle Doctrine"? do you understand what it actually means? Do you know why any other view of the right to self defense would be unconstitutional? If not then the relevance of this entire thread is lost to you.

Just because a property owner chooses to open up his property to limited public access, does not mean that he loses all of his rights to control what activities may occur there. There is a progression involved. A person entering the business has the right, subject to the owners restrictions to cross the property to gain access to the store. But the parking lot area might be restricted to "No trucks", or certain spaces may be reserved for handicapped or employee of the month.

At the entrance to the store things get a little more restrictive. The owner may restrict people in many ways at that point. "No shirt, no shoes, no service", comes to mind as a common example. Certainly we can both agree that people have a RIGHT not to wear shoes, but they do NOT have the right to enter a particular store where the owner requires people to wear shoes.

Your carry of a gun is no different. It is a behavior among many others that ANY property owner may choose to restrict. You need look no farther than case law to see where the law stands on property rights of shopkeepers. Who do you suppose would be the first one charged with a violation of the law if you went into a store with a gun, were asked to leave, told the owner you refuse and the police were called? By your thinking the store keeper would be arrested for infringing your right to carry a gun. Please direct me to a single case or even a code section that supports your position.

The 2nd amendment is of NO help here as it only restricts the government from making laws, it does not apply to property owners exercise of their property rights, or asking you to leave. They do however have that right. I would point out that none of the other amendments, or the body of the constitution (except possibly the militia authorizations) mentions firearms rights. That silence on the issue in no way diminishes what the second amendment says, but the second amendment does NOT diminish what the rest of the document says either.

Frankly, IMHO, it is your misguided attitude, and misunderstanding of the laws that is most harmful to the rights of firearms owners, not the activities of respectful and knowledgeable people on this forum, working to expand our rights in lawful ways. Your inability to read completely, and comprehend the vast evidence against your position is dangerous to you and anyone around you if you are carrying a firearm. I think you will find this out at some point. I only hope that innocent bystanders are not injured or killed during the lesson.

Regards
You still harp on the same points while faililng to acknowledge and address another issue I have brought up, yet I'm the one with the comprehension problem?

I've already wasted too much time arguing with you. Enjoy the Brady days when they come through. Hopefully you'll have police with a fast enough response time to save you.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

wsweeks2 wrote:

I've already wasted too much time arguing with you. Enjoy the Brady days when they come through. Hopefully you'll have police with a fast enough response time to save you.

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an adage that Mike Godwin formulated in 1990. The law states:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

HankT's Law states:

As a gun/gun rights online discussiongrows longer, the probability of a comparison involvingthe Brady CampaignorMMM approaches one.

:dude:

ne1

imported post

It is not necessary to read any sovereign property rights secrets into the constitution. If it isn't there, then it isn't there, period. What is there is a specific right to keep and bear arms which shall not be infringed. This RKABA is not qualified regarding Congress, the Executive or the Judiciary but, as I read it, it is a blanket statement that the right shall not be infringed by anyone- period. It was the intent of the founding fathers that the RKABA was the birthright of ALL Americans from the richest to the poorest (except for slaves but that was eventually addressed; BTW they were also considered property at one time- so much for divine property rights). The argument that only government cannot infringe is specious and can equally be applied to the third and fourth amendments as well; in other words trespass laws do not apply to any but soldiers and other government officials. In the days of the nation's frontiers, hospitality was a much more common virtue and few travellers would have been turned away. I suspect those travelling without arms would have been considered much stranger than those with.

On the "equal protection of the laws" citation: To me it means government shall not be used to deprive citizens of any constitutional protections, e.g. the right to keep and bear arms. To bear means to carry when going about one's activities, such as shopping (I presume this would be in private stores because we have few government stores in this country). To bear can also mean to tolerate, in other words to "put up with" those who choose to lawfully bear arms.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ne1 wrote:

It is not necessary to read any sovereign property rights secrets into the constitution. If it isn't there, then it isn't there, period. What is there is a specific right to keep and bear arms which shall not be infringed. This RKABA is not qualified regarding Congress, the Executive or the Judiciary but, as I read it, it is a blanket statement that the right shall not be infringed by anyone- period. It was the intent of the founding fathers that the RKABA was the birthright of ALL Americans from the richest to the poorest (except for slaves but that was eventually addressed; BTW they were also considered property at one time- so much for divine property rights). The argument that only government cannot infringe is specious and can equally be applied to the third and fourth amendments as well; in other words trespass laws do not apply to any but soldiers and other government officials. In the days of the nation's frontiers, hospitality was a much more common virtue and few travellers would have been turned away. I suspect those travelling without arms would have been considered much stranger than those with.

On the "equal protection of the laws" citation: To me it means government shall not be used to deprive citizens of any constitutional protections, e.g. the right to keep and bear arms. To bear means to carry when going about one's activities, such as shopping (I presume this would be in private stores because we have few government stores in this country). To bear can also mean to tolerate, in other words to "put up with" those who choose to lawfully bear arms.

This is absolutely astounding. Is there some kind of grade school assignment that has prompted all these people to post this idiocy? The danger here is that someone new to firearms carry, will read this thread, and believe these idiots.

I repeat-

PLEASE CITE A SINGLE COURT CASE OR CODE SECTION FROM ANYWHERE THAT SAYS YOU CAN ENTER THE PROPERTY OF ANOTHER, AGAINST THEIR EXPLICIT ORDERS TO LEAVE BECAUSE YOU ARE CARRYING A GUN.

This is a fair request based on the rules of the forum. In this forum citing the source for your arguments is the standard, and yet not one of the people insisting that they can carry over the objection of the property owner have provided a single cite to support that view of the laws or the Constitution.

Perhaps you do not understand what the purpose of the Constitution is or was? It was designed to define and control the federal government, and shape the relationship between the various states and the federal government. The second amendment is a limit on the government, and prevents it from acting against the RTKABA. It in no way empowers you to violate my rights or anyone else's.

You can complain all you want but I can assure you that if you enter someone else's property, armed, without their permission, and they ask you to leave and you don't, will will find that you are quite wrong in your view of all of this.

This stuff is all grade school level government. Even the public school system gets a lot of this type of stuff right. Perhaps you should go back and try again.

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ne1 wrote:

...snip

This is absolutely astounding. Is there some kind of grade school assignment that has prompted all these people to post this idiocy? The danger here is that someone new to firearms carry, will read this thread, and believe these idiots.

I repeat-

PLEASE CITE A SINGLE COURT CASE OR CODE SECTION FROM ANYWHERE THAT SAYS YOU CAN ENTER THE PROPERTY OF ANOTHER, AGAINST THEIR EXPLICIT ORDERS TO LEAVE BECAUSE YOU ARE CARRYING A GUN.

This is a fair request based on the rules of the forum. In this forum citing the source for your arguments is the standard, and yet not one of the people insisting that they can carry over the objection of the property owner have provided a single cite to support that view of the laws or the Constitution.

Perhaps you do not understand what the purpose of the Constitution is or was? It was designed to define and control the federal government, and shape the relationship between the various states and the federal government. The second amendment is a limit on the government, and prevents it from acting against the RTKABA. It in no way empowers you to violate my rights or anyone else's.

You can complain all you want but I can assure you that if you enter someone else's property, armed, without their permission, and they ask you to leave and you don't, will will find that you are quite wrong in your view of all of this.

This stuff is all grade school level government. Even the public school system gets a lot of this type of stuff right. Perhaps you should go back and try again.

Regards

I have to agree with Hawk..

You have to be absolutely nuts to think the constitution protects you in-so-far-as... giving you absolute permission to pack heat on the property of another... period!

Your permitted to own a gun (to Keep) and to carry where permitted (to Bear).

There is nothing in the constitution that permits you to do this on the property belonging to another person. Case in point.... Some states do not permit you to OC and severely limits the number that are allowed to CC.

So in some states you have no right at all to Bear Arms out in public. You can always do so on property you own or on property of another with their permission. So if someone does not want you on their property while armed... you MUST GO!!!

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP So if someone does not want you on their property while armed... you MUST GO!!!
Heck, even if you're not armed.

This is true. But NE1 would have you believe that if your armed.. your exempt and can stay.

NE1 would have you believe that "the government shall not be used to force ancitizen exercising his rights to bear arms on private property to leave." But I guess they can if he is not armed.

Since this seems to be OK with NE1... I am going to go to his house armed and sit on the front porch. Neither he nor the police can make me leave since I am protected by the constitution..

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP   So if someone does not want you on their property while armed... you MUST GO!!!
Heck, even if you're not armed. 

This is true.  But NE1 would have you believe that if your armed.. your exempt and can stay.

NE1 would have you believe that "the government shall not be used to force an citizen exercising his rights to bear arms on private property to leave."  But I guess they can if he is not armed.

Since this seems to be OK with NE1... I am going to go to his house armed and sit on the front porch. Neither he nor the police can make me leave since I am protected by the constitution..

+1

You could not be more correct if you had written the Constitution yourself.

Regards

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Not really testy, but very concerned. Imagine the results of people acting on the crap these guys are espousing. Absolutely amazing.

Yeah! Exactly how I used to feel about the info from certain LEO's on this forum. But I got over it with the help of some very wise friends. Friends I didn't even know I had at the time. :)

Now I am looked upon by all as wise, calm, and quietly sophisticated, with a deep, abiding humility. :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Not really testy, but very concerned. Imagine the results of people acting on the crap these guys are espousing. Absolutely amazing.

Yeah!  Exactly how I used to feel about the info from certain LEO's on this forum.  But I got over it with the help of some very wise friends.  Friends I didn't even know I had at the time.  :) 

Now I am looked upon by all as wise, calm, and quietly sophisticated, with a deep, abiding humility.  :)

Ok, ok. I hear ya.

LEO 229

imported post

Maybe someday.... Citizen and I can meet at McDonalds.

We are good friends online now... But if they wanted to kick him out for OC.. he would be leaving alone..;)

PackininVB

imported post

bohdi wrote:
I'm a drop out as well, sorry to hear you got screwed. I had a similar thing happen to me but it wasn't rate related, time in service related. I can't say it's not partially my fault, I should have asked more questions and read what I was signing a little more closely.

I never dropped out of BUD/S, i never go to go. I was suppossed to but before i ever went to boot they reclassified me and told me that YN was the only thing i could do because of some trouble that i had gotten into (some my fault, some not so much my fault, but screwed me the same). I havent gotten a chance to try out for SEALs yet although im working on it.