• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry journal

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I'd like to start a journal documenting instance, both positive and negtive while OC'ing in the outskirts of Las Vegas, NV. I live approximatly three and and a half miles form "the trip" and OC on a daily basis. In the past four or so years I have been stopped once by a store manager, but NEVER by LEO's.

Does this sound like something you all would be interested in? If so I'll document all casses, locations, times and interactions and post them every Saturday.

Please give me some feedback.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Have you had any problems recently with the shooting in NY NY last week?

Negative. I am a law abiding citizen. People have asked if I am a cop or security officer and I always tell them No. Other than that, no problems.

Also, I don't frequent the strip.. too many sheeple there that don't know county law.

DT4E31

imported post

Seems interesting. Although I would think Nevada may have more of a pro gun culture than most other states. Similiar journals for those states where the public are less likely to understand open carry could be very interesting.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

What people don't understand about Vegas, is that our police chief is Pro-Gun. His office are told to keep an open mind on OC and not blow it out of proportion. A friend was "talked to" by an LEO regarding OC, and in a nutshell the conversation was "Im making it look like I'm lecturing you..."

I'll do this. IF I get talked to by an LEO I'll fill you all in.

DT4E31 wrote:
Seems interesting. Although I would think Nevada may have more of a pro gun culture than most other states. Similiar journals for those states where the public are less likely to understand open carry could be very interesting.

unrequited

imported post

Is there a city ordinance that one must register their firearm before bringing it into city limits? I half-kinda-sorta remember info on that from either this or another board.

mzbk2l

imported post

Bravo_Sierra, I'd be interested in hearing of any good or bad encounters you have had, as well as what preparations are required to OC in Vegas.

Like unrequited, I seem to remember that Clark County is different than the rest of NV, but I don't remember exactly how.

I enjoy running up there on long weekends, but I've never OCd yet. Maybe after I read some of your experiences, I will.

Thanks!
Mike

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

12/6/2007 - 21:30: I entered the Carl's Jr. restaurant and got a #2 to go. Lobby had about 5 people eating and about 4 Employees. working. No one said anything and I highly doubt they noticed my weapon.

12/7/2007 - 10:00: Called Clark County CCW/Firearm devision (the gun locker at South Central Precinct) Asked what the common practice is when a patron reports a "man with gun." First words out of the female Officer's mouth were "Well, Clark County is an open carry county" She nicely informed me that while Open Carry is not recommended by Officers, that they responding units would survey the area and make sure no one was waiving a gun in the air or robbing the place. They may verify ID, ask for the required Blue Card and possibly confiscate the weapon if it can't be cleared immediately. IF confiscated the weapon would be available at the Sherrif's office the following day. She also stated that while Nevada is a "right to issue" state, and that CCW is really easy to get here.

As for Open Carry.

There are Deadly Weapon provisions in North Las Vegas and Boulder City, so you cannot OC there. As for Clark County: 90% of the encounters I've had with OC have been positive to neutral. The very few who notice my weapon will ask if I'm a Security Guard. When Informed that I am not, they just say "OK.." and go about their business.

I'll keep everyone posted.

mzbk2l wrote:
Bravo_Sierra, I'd be interested in hearing of any good or bad encounters you have had, as well as what preparations are required to OC in Vegas.

Like unrequited, I seem to remember that Clark County is different than the rest of NV, but I don't remember exactly how.

I enjoy running up there on long weekends, but I've never OCd yet. Maybe after I read some of your experiences, I will.

Thanks!
Mike

bohdi

imported post

BS - it's a good idea, there are many of us that do that for our states. Perhaps now that you've announced it, the thread should be moved to NV if you haven't done that already. I'm not saying not to write about it, just move it to the appropriate place. This is "Why Open Carry", not stories from NV. Just a suggestion. Maybe once a month drop a comment back to this original thread saying you've updated the NV thread that way it comes back up to the top of this one so people don't forget about it?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Not personally. I have heard from people who have, but generally I think that it might cause a disturbance among the tourists. I'll do that in time and post my experience

mzbk2l wrote:
Thanks. I really do need to become more familiar with the laws up there so I can comfortably carry. I usually stay on the strip when I go up - any experience OC-ing there?

AbNo

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I'd like to start a journal documenting instance, both positive and negtive while OC'ing in the outskirts of Las Vegas, NV. I live approximatly three and and a half miles form "the trip" and OC on a daily basis. In the past four or so years I have been stopped once by a store manager, but NEVER by LEO's.

Does this sound like something you all would be interested in? If so I'll document all casses, locations, times and interactions and post them every Saturday.

Please give me some feedback.

Sure! We've even got a perfect place for it!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/

You're also welcome to check us out in the Virginia area, too. We get pretty much 3+ OC posts per day, it seems.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

If I had the ability to move the topic I would :(

But:

7/21/07 -went to Panda Express to get some lunch, went to the barber shop to get a haircut, went to CVS Pharmacy to get cold medicine, and went to Carl's JR later in the evening for some dinner.

Again, ZERO issues.

Bravo_Sierra

zoom6zoom

imported post

If I had the ability to move the topic I would
Just PM one of our fine moderators, I'm sure they can do that for you.

I saw somewhere that there was a state pre-emption bill in the works for Nevada, which would override restrictions implemented by localities. Hope it's true, and hope you get it. It's done wonders for us in Virginia.