• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stupid Question

unrequitedsux

imported post

We could all agree that guns scare people or at least people who do not have one.do the generalized population of oc'ing people feel a bit of power over the uninformed,unarmed,and the law enforcement population in general?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

unrequitedsux wrote:
We could all agree that guns scare people or at least people who do not have one.do the generalized population of oc'ing people feel a bit of power over the uninformed,unarmed,and the law enforcement population in general?
We could all agree that guns scare people or at least people who do not have one.

I do not agree. Not all people that do not own guns are scared of them.

do the generalized population of oc'ing people feel a bit of power over the uninformed,unarmed,and the law enforcement population in general?

Not in a thug kind of way. I do however, feel more power to defend myself than an unarmed person. As to feeling power over the uninformed; no. I have a responsibility to help educate them, not intimidate people. Power over law enforcement; no. I am on the same side, why would I feel power over them. It is their job to protect, and it is my responsibility to do the same for those I love.

Having said all that, I have to wonder; is this a sincere question, or are you a troll? The post just had a trollish sound. :D

bohdi

imported post

Only in that I am not held a captive by the fear of the unknown - but I don't feel I have any power over law enforcement other than the ability to campaign and elect people out of office; I don't feel I have power over the uninformed or the unarmed as they have made a choice not to inform or arm themselves in that order. These two groups have the same ability, but still won't, so I don't see any special power required or one that is felt by my willingness to educate myself and others about firearms or owning one.

unrequitedsux

imported post

sincere question, ive been reading up on a few threads here and there, and actually just am trying to get a feel what the overall response or reasoning behind oc'ing has on effect of a political or educational stance.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

unrequitedsux wrote:

Your trolling would be more productive if you didn't make two fatal errors:
1) Making a statement of fact, that is actually not.
2) Asking a questions that is based on the untrue statement (IE: irrelevant)

Better luck next time, eh? :?

nickerj1

imported post

Just the opposite. I don't feel "power", but I do feel the duty to protect someone I'm near if a situation arises and I'm carrying.

And when I'm not carrying and I notice someone that is, I feel a little more at ease. And they don't necessarily have to be carrying. If I see off duty cops or military I get the same feeling. I let my guard down a little more, which currently is extremely high after doing a few surveillances in DC.

unrequitedsux

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
unrequitedsux wrote:

Your trolling would be more productive if you didn't make two fatal errors:
1) Making a statement of fact, that is actually not.
2) Asking a questions that is based on the untrue statement (IE: irrelevant)

Better luck next time, eh? :?
not trolling, actually just trying to understand from different views of people. your right i shouldnt have generalize that most people are afraid of guns.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I understand, and welcome. Feel free to ask any sincere questions. I only asked because lately there have been several people who have been successfulin sidetracking the forums. But having said that, welcome and I hope to hear soon that you're OC'ing!:)

unrequited

imported post

This is fall out from here:

http://forums.gamehavoc.com/showthread.php?t=20326

btw guys... not only do anti-'s read this site, but sometimes our personal anti-'s will read it to find ammo.

I've been sharing my personal OC and news-related OC/CC stories on a video game forum I've been on for the past couple months, to the chagrin of a couple posters.

Just remember you're being watched by others not apart of our small community, so it reflects upon us all.

mods, please let this thread stand as a testament to what we do here. just answer his questions as long as they're asked without trolling, i don't care about the username

dng

State Researcher
imported post

It's good to spread the word, even if it means dealing with a few extra trolls every once in a while. I don't mind as long as they are sincerely trying to find out more, not just here to cause trouble. The more people know the truth, the better things look for our country.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

unrequitedsux wrote:
not trolling, actually just trying to understand from different views of people. your right i shouldnt have generalize that most people are afraid of guns.

Ok, you've admitted a mistake on making an assumption that was incorrect.
HOWEVER, you will still be viewed as a troll by most for using another members screen name in a deragatory way.
Ask yourself: Would a person honestly seeking information do that?

What if an anonymous newbie came on one of your boards and posted a similarly strange question and used your screen name in a likewise manner? Would you take them seriously?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

unrequitedsux wrote:
To the first part, I don't believe most people are scared of guns, some are but not most. To the second, I don't carry to gain advantage over anyone except those who would do me harm, namely criminals. I could say that I am empowered with a fuller understanding of my rights and responsibilities as a citizen and that I am more motivated than most people to exercise such.

unrequitedsux

imported post

well there must be some power advantage with oc'ing rather than cc'ing. am i missing something?

72Malibu

imported post

Hard to take someone seriously when the username you've selected and only 3 posts, but here's my take:

Do you get scared of an armed police officer when you see them walking about? Do you have to stop an actionmovie or look away when someone on screen is involved in a shootout?

I believe that people who are scared of guns and law abiding gun owners are only victims of their own ignorance. I believe that they have never been taught the proper and safe methods to handle, carry and discharge a firearm. I believe that they may possibly have been brought up by gun-fearing parents who instilled the fear in them. I believe that they've never had the competitive thrill of shooting paper and metal objects in pursuit of the coveted bullseye, accuracy, skill and speed. I also believe that they live in a false sense of security and think that the police will be there in the blink of an eye to protect them and their families from people bent on harming them. I believe that they've been lulled into a false sense of security in believing that our government, and those it's comprised of don't fear the people as they should in a democracy, that they don't hunger for power, control, prestige and money in lieu of having the masses' best interest at heart.

I also believe that they live in denial... that "it can't happen to me". They have a false sense of security that "No Guns Allowed" signs are going to make people bent on causing death and destruction stop and think "Man! I sure don't want to go to jail for trespassing and firearm related crimesafter I'm done killing a few dozen people and myself".

I feel no power over the uninformed, unarmed and law enforcement population. I feel like I and my family are better protected by me owning and carrying a firearm. I feel bad for the uninformed and want to teach them. I feel bad for the unarmed and want to protect them. I feel allied with the police in that I would be able to assist in saving lives should someone threaten people around me and myself, or attack us.

I feel bad for the lemmings willing to run off of the edge of a cliff screaming "I won't die" until the fall abruptly ends.

I for one REFUSE to believe that I depend on others for the safety and well being of my family. This has been disproven to me time and time again. I REFUSE to believe that police will always protect me, that they'll be there before our attacker finishes the deed.

I think that most people are scared of guns because they choose not to become informed before passing judgement or forming opinions. I always say "don't knock something until you've tried it or learned the facts about it".

unrequitedsux

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
Hard to take someone seriously when the username you've selected and only 3 posts, but here's my take:

Do you get scared of an armed police officer when you see them walking about? Do you have to stop an actionmovie or look away when someone on screen is involved in a shootout?

"I believe that people who are scared of guns and law abiding gun owners are only victims of their own ignorance. I believe that they have never been taught the proper and safe methods to handle, carry and discharge a firearm."
I believe that they may possibly have been brought up by gun-fearing parents who instilled the fear in them.
-possible
I believe that they've never had the competitive thrill of shooting paper and metal objects in pursuit of the coveted bullseye, accuracy, skill and speed.
-but there are plenty ofother safer alternatives.
I also believe that they live in a false sense of security and think that the police will be there in the blink of an eye to protect them and their families from people bent on harming them.
-i agree that most people should have the means to protect themselves and their familes.
I believe that they've been lulled into a false sense of security in believing that our government, and those it's comprised of don't fear the people as they should in a democracy, that they don't hunger for power, control, prestige and money in lieu of having the masses' best interest at heart.
-no kidding the government sucks and most of its security org's also fail
I also believe that they live in denial... that "it can't happen to me". They have a false sense of security that "No Guns Allowed" signs are going to make people bent on causing death and destruction stop and think "Man! I sure don't want to go to jail for trespassing and firearm related crimesafter I'm done killing a few dozen people and myself".
-i dont know about this.
I feel no power over the uninformed, unarmed and law enforcement population. I feel like I and my family are better protected by me owning and carrying a firearm. I feel bad for the uninformed and want to teach them. I feel bad for the unarmed and want to protect them. I feel allied with the police in that I would be able to assist in saving lives should someone threaten people around me and myself, or attack us.
-this is the part i have most problems with. why do you feel bad for people who dont carry a gun? why do you have an obligation that they need your protection? and how does oc'ing compare to cc'ing, i mean why do you have to oc to protect everyone?
I feel bad for the lemmings willing to run off of the edge of a cliff screaming "I won't die" until the fall abruptly ends.
I for one REFUSE to believe that I depend on others for the safety and well being of my family. This has been disproven to me time and time again. I REFUSE to believe that police will always protect me, that they'll be there before our attacker finishes the deed.

I think that most people are scared of guns because they choose not to become informed before passing judgement or forming opinions. I always say "don't knock something until you've tried it or learned the facts about it".
-you are right on some matters. i do agree the police are slow and lazy, i do agree that you have a right to defend yourself and family, i do agree that most people are uninformed.
- i do not agree with that you put yourself over everyone who doesnt own a gun, i do not agree with that you think a gun is the ultimate protection, i do not agree that because you are uninformed about opencarry you will jump off a cliff.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

unrequitedsux wrote:
well there must be some power advantage with oc'ing rather than cc'ing. am i missing something?
I liken OC vs CC to torque vs horsepower in an automobile. Torque and horsepower both represent a vehicles power but in different ways. An engine tuned to produce more torque can haul heavier weights while the same engine tuned for horsepower will have a higher top speed. Each has its place and purpose.

In some situations, CC is better since given the element of unknown and surprise. In other situations, OC has the advantage of strong presence. (These a just some examples). Again, each has its place and purpose.

unrequitedsux

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
unrequitedsux wrote:
I liken OC vs CC to torque vs horsepower in an automobile. Torque and horsepower both represent a vehicles power but in different ways. An engine tuned to produce more torque can haul heavier weights while the same engine tuned for horsepower will have a higher top speed. Each has its place and purpose.

In some situations, CC is better since given the element of unknown and surprise. In other situations, OC has the advantage of strong presence. (These a just some examples). Again, each has its place and purpose.

when i see the oc'ing its pretty much a chance for the wouldbe "bad person" to know exactly who to take out, who to take the gun from.

wouldnt cc'ing have a much better purpose in society? would be less intrusive to the other population, would have the element of surprise in a bad situation. would also provide some sexy bulkage.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I believe that they've never had the competitive thrill of shooting paper and metal objects in pursuit of the coveted bullseye, accuracy, skill and speed.
-but there are plenty ofother safer alternatives.

What safer alternatives are there to shooting paper or metal objects in the pursuit of the bullseye, accuracy, skill, and speed. How else would you attain those objectives?

There are a few threads, and a complete section, on why carry openly. To answer your questions on why, please see those threads first. If you still have questions, I believe many here would answer you.

I carry for protection of myself and my family. I would use my weapon to protect bystanders or innocents; at least that's what I've trained myself for, and I would hope I could follow through at the appropriate time.

I carry openly for a few reasons, most of which I've detailed in the threads mentioned above.