• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minimum Age to Buy Ammunition?

nickerj1

imported post

I was OCing on the way to the range yesterday and stopped by WalMart to buy a few extra rounds. The guy (think stereotypical Walmart employee) carded me and stated I needed to be 21 to purchase.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me and I've been buying ammo since 13 or so, so I was legitamitely surprised. I was in a hurry so I didn't put up a fuss. I just blatantly rested my hand on my gun while he rung me up. :p

So uh, first time I've heard about this min age to purchase ammo. What's the regs in VA?

unrequited

imported post

quick google search (dunno how accurate it is):
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0203.htm

Does federal law place any age restriction on ammunition sellers and purchasers?

Under federal law, it is illegal to sell (1) long gun ammunition to anyone under age 18 and (2) handgun ammunition to anyone under age 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478. 99(b)). According to BATF, a licensee may sell interchangeable ammunition such as a . 22 cal. rimfire to a person less than age 21 (but age 18 or older) if the dealer is satisfied that the ammunition is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement applies.

**edit**
guess he was right, though I've never tried purchasing ammo when I was younger...

18 USC 922:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

27 CFR 478.99
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...ccess.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/aprqtr/27cfr478.99.htm

nickerj1

imported post

I put my hands on my hips a lot when I OC and am standing around. When I do so my right hand rests on the middle of my holster, right underneath the grip.

It was my way of saying 'Are you kidding me?'

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

You might avoid provocative actions in public. I can imagine some easily scared sheep thinking that you are making a threat. Then you have to go to the trouble of getting the security tapes to prove to the police you weren't

Best to not touch you firearm in public. Best to learn a new place to rest your hands. If its any help, in his book, No Second Place Winner, famed gun handler and Border Patrol Agent Bill Jordan points out that it stretches the belt and holster (written back when holsters were all leather.)

C

ccloud43

imported post

When i was 19 and in FL I went to a gunshop to buy ammo for a friends pistol, which was a .22, we were going to do some plinking. The owner asked if it was for a pistol or rifle. I said for a pistol and he asked for ID. Since i was only 19 i couldnt buy it because i told him it was for a pistol instead of rifle. So next time you might just want to say it is for a rifle unless it is a pistol only caliber.

just my .02

LEO 229

imported post

I remember when I was a youngster... I could not buy .22 ammo and had to ask my uncle to get it for me. This was the one and only time I ever met him too.

I guess I was probably 12 at the time so it was obvious I was too young.

mercutio545

imported post

So does that just apply to FFL dealers? Like, can I buy pistol ammo in a private sale, similar to how I bought my handgun?

mattjohnston87

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
So does that just apply to FFL dealers? Like, can I buy pistol ammo in a private sale, similar to how I bought my handgun?

To my knowledge, yes.

27 CFR 478.99
A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell or deliver (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable
cause to believe is less than 18 years of age, and, if the firearm, orammunition, is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 21 years of age....

unrequited

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I remember when I was a youngster...  I could not buy .22 ammo and had to ask my uncle to get it for me. This was the one and only time I ever met him too.

What's the statute of limitations on arranging a straw purchase for ammo? *snicker*

LEO 229

imported post

unrequited wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I remember when I was a youngster... I could not buy .22 ammo and had to ask my uncle to get it for me. This was the one and only time I ever met him too.

What's the statute of limitations on arranging a straw purchase for ammo? *snicker*
Since it was 28 years ago and in another state.... I am not worried about my Uncle. ;)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I remember when I was a youngster...  I could not buy .22 ammo and had to ask my uncle to get it for me. This was the one and only time I ever met him too.

In the 1960's there was a time when all ammo purchases were recorded, AND required ID. I am not certain when this requirement was lifted, but for a long time it was impossible to buy ammo without filling out the forms. Oddly enough ammo components were not restricted. Can you say "reloads"?

Regards

unrequited

imported post

When I was up in Jersey earlier this year, I had to "register" with my driver's license in a little book to buy two boxes of .45 from Ramsey Outdoor. Good thing I don't live in Jersey anymore.

ParaWarthog

imported post

I used to buy .45 and .357 caliber ammunition from a local gun store before I was 21. The owner had a long gun in each caliber that I bought, i.e. .45 ACP, .357 magnum, etc., and that was his justification.

Technically, aren't there only a very few hangun only calibers (i.e. .357 sig, .45 GAP)?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
I used to buy .45 and .357 caliber ammunition from a local gun store before I was 21.  The owner had a long gun in each caliber that I bought, i.e. .45 ACP, .357 magnum, etc., and that was his justification.

Technically, aren't there only a very few hangun only calibers (i.e. .357 sig, .45 GAP)?

Actually there are a lot of HG only cartridges, but most are rather obscure for "Walmart" shopping. So for the most part you would be close to correct.

TrueBrit

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

You might avoid provocative actions in public. I can imagine some easily scared sheep thinking that you are making a threat. Then you have to go to the trouble of getting the security tapes to prove to the police you weren't

Best to not touch you firearm in public. Best to learn a new place to rest your hands. If its any help, in his book, No Second Place Winner, famed gun handler and Border Patrol Agent Bill Jordan points out that it stretches the belt and holster (written back when holsters were all leather.)

Not to preach, you understand, but I heartily concurr with Citizen.

BTW, next time you are asked if your ammo is for use in a pistol or a rifle, gravely inform the clerk that it is to be used in your machine gun!

It's what a lot of the old hands on this forum do, and much consternation and confusion ensues!

Always good for a laugh.....;)

TrueBrit.

AbNo

imported post

Well, what category does a Carbine fall under, then?

I mean, I don't have a 9mm pistol yet, but I like to put 100 or so rounds down range with my 995 every other week or so....

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
BTW, next time you are asked if your ammo is for use in a pistol or a rifle, gravely inform the clerk that it is to be used in your machine gun!
Actually, my favorite response to this question is "No, why do you ask?"