• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at Costco

Gray2Hairs

imported post

Last evening I was shopping in Costco (as I do nearly every week) and was approached by a manager. She said that a costomer was “uncomfortable” with me carrying a gun and would I please leave the gun in my car next time. I answered NO, that I would NOT leave my gun in the car but I would be happy to leave if she asked me to. She said that she was not asking me to leave and that I could continue shopping.

I actually spent about 10 minutes talking to the manager about guns, carry, laws and concepts. It turns out that the warehouse manager is from Alaska and when he was told of my open carry he aksed "so what?"

The reason I post this is because I understand that Costco has a national policy of "No Firearms Allowed" although I have not seen it posted.

Gray2Hairs

imported post

Woodinville. There was nothing said or posted that indicated the corporate policy was anti-gun. I noticed on a few forums that in 2006 Costco sent a member a letter stating that the corporate policy was "no firearms allowed".

All-in-all it was a great experience with the manager thanking me for my attitude and to have a great day.

sandy

imported post

Gray2Hairs wrote:
Woodinville.
I have carried at that Costco as well, thoughI don't believe the employees ever noticed. After hearing about the national policy on another thread, I was reluctantly bracing for an incident ending in "I'm sorry, but I guess I'll have to cancel my membership."I'm glad to hear that this location will probably tolerate us for a while yet.

--Sandy (WA)

G27

imported post

I have opened carried before at Costco and never ran into an incident. I also live in Kitsap/Mason county and everyone from Mason county / Belfair is a hick. :) (Proud of that fact, too!) If Costco did ever tell me to leave my gun in the car, I would cancel my family's membership, and then proceed to cancel my business membership as well. :)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Gray2Hairs wrote:
Last evening I was shopping in Costco (as I do nearly every week) and was approached by a manager. She said that a costomer was “uncomfortable” with me carrying a gun and would I please leave the gun in my car next time. I answered NO, that I would NOT leave my gun in the car but I would be happy to leave if she asked me to. She said that she was not asking me to leave and that I could continue shopping.

I actually spent about 10 minutes talking to the manager about guns, carry, laws and concepts. It turns out that the warehouse manager is from Alaska and when he was told of my open carry he aksed "so what?"

The reason I post this is because I understand that Costco has a national policy of "No Firearms Allowed" although I have not seen it posted.
Well...Fellow Arms Men...I have a Wonderful Story to tell You all.

On12/11/2006 @ about 5Pm MST my wife and I went in to [highlight= #ffff88]Costco[/highlight] @ 106th So next to I-15.

My Outfit is Chippawah Boots, Wranglers,Wrangler Denimshirt, Light Brown Vest, Blue Scarf, Suit Coat and a Stetson on my head. Strapped to my hip under the Coat is an "old style" Vaquero 44mag in a Triple K Rooster Cogburn Rig - Deluxe, with 25 44mag caliber rounds shining to the world.
icon_cool.gif

After walking around for a while I got warm and took of my Coat and put it in the cart. We walked around looking at X-mas gifts and along the way we stopped plenty off Associates in the store when we had Questions. I even OPEN CARRIED thru check-out.

On the way out we decided to have a Polish and an Ice-cream, and while waiting for the food we were shooting the Breeze ( NO PUN INTENDED )with a Supervisior and he could absolutely NOT miss that a 44 was strapped to my hip.

while we were eating a older couple came by on the way out and stopped by our table and said "-I don't think You get this alot if at all. But THANK YOU for Carrying Open. THANK YOU for upholding OUR CONSTITIONAL RIGHT. We need more of that." I was caught off guard but Happy when I understood what he said. I said Thank You Very Much
icon_biggrin.gif
, and they went on their way.

HAPPY AND SATISFIED [highlight= #ffff88]COSTCO[/highlight] "OPEN CARRY" CUSTOMER.

"With Great Power comes Great Responsibility"

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I guess their national policy hasn't filtered down to "hick" Virginia yet: I have OC'd numerous times in the Costco in Newport News with no problems. (I don't know if anyone noticed or not):cool:

just_a_car

imported post

gregma wrote:
We need a "No Guns - No Money" card like I've seen for other groups. Something like:

https://secure.ohioccw.org/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=107
I wonder if we can petition that group to use that card modified for our own state? I'm sure they have copyright on it, but I didn't notice one on the image of the card. I'd love to carry a bunch of those for when I am asked to leave. Just hand that card to the person and leave politely.

Edit: If we get permission to use this (without the "front" "back" stuff on the image) modified for WA, I can likely have them created at Kinko's for the same cost ($1.49 / 10 cards) and if purchased at a Saturday Lunch, no shipping. :)

gregma

G27

imported post

Open carried in Costco during the afternoon yesterday with my Glock in the small of my back. It was hot that afternoon so I took the jacket off and walked around for a good twenty minutes. I was wearing a white shit tucked into Khaki pants so it was clearly visible. Noone said anything and the place was pretty packed. I didhave one lady I walk pass stare at me for a moment, but that was all. :) All in all, a good open carry and uneventful to say the least.