• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had to pull my weapon...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

juju151 wrote:
HankT wrote:
I've gotta ask, though, why would your soon-to-be Exbe riding around and see yourJeep in that particular cinemaparking lot (the regular one)? And even if she were looking for your ride,wouldn'tyour jeep have been totally visible to her if she went to theadjacent lot (yours was the onlyvehicle there!)
Yep...that was the usual theater that I would go to...and the lot that I parked in wasn't visible at all from the main parking lot. I didn't think that my X would even think about looking in the "other" lot.

My main concern was that my X might see my Jeep and my dates car parked close together and figure something was up. I was probably just being paraniod, but you see...my X knew my date, and what kind of car she drove...

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!

Sir Walter Scott

juju151 wrote:
But again...myX would probablyhave never found out, but I wanted to be on thesafe side since the divorce was goingREALLY smooth and I was getting out of it smelling like a rose.She could have made it alot worse if she had found out about it though.

That could have been one ex-pensive date if your X would have found out! I hope it was woth it. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Say no more.)

So, um, did the black guy ever come after you? He sounded like he wanted to bust you up baddd.

BTW, when did you post the story on GlockTalk? Got a link for it there?

jbobmurph

imported post

One little tidbit that I've seen mentioned a few places, and was honestly harped on quite a bit in a firearms safety class I took -

You shouldn't put yourself in positions while carrying a firearm that you wouldn't while unarmed. Even though the OP apparently parked in a side lot for reasons that might be reasonable, and really have nothing specifically to do with his packing, would he have done it if he hadn't had his weapon with him? Or would he perhaps have just parked on the other side of the main lot from the date's car, so they're not close together?

In summary - don't do something stupid just because you've got your gun with you to get you out of any trouble you may get into.

PS - in the future, it's a lot easier in this situation to drive over together. Just leave one car at a nearby mall, etc. Then no worries about the ex...

edit - typo

BimmerGuy

imported post

Good Story..

Hopefully that guy tries this again with someone else and gets shot and killed...

Two birds with one stone, kill a racist and a criminal.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

jbobmurph wrote:
One little tidbit that I've seen mentioned a few places, and was honestly harped on quite a bit in a firearms safety class I took -

You shouldn't put yourself in positions while carrying a firearm that you wouldn't while unarmed. Even though the OP apparently parked in a side lot for reasons that might be reasonable, and really have nothing specifically to do with his packing, would he have done it if he hadn't had his weapon with him? Or would he perhaps have just parked on the other side of the main lot from the date's car, so they're not close together?

In summary - don't do something stupid just because you've got your gun with you to get you out of any trouble you may get into.
Excellent points.

The parking lot selection aspect of this whole story was interesting.

Didn't make much sense at all. I don't think it was reasonable. And lying to the cop was maybe not reasonable either.

If you have to lie to a cop about a self-defense event caused by parking in a 100% deserted, dark parking lot because you want to fool your soon to be ex-wife because of a nearing divorcebecause she knows the babe you're going to a movie with...that is...well,... not a good thing.

Life doesn't have to beso complicated. ;)

juju151

imported post

HankT wrote:
That could have been one ex-pensive date if your X would have found out! I hope it was woth it. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Say no more.)

So, um, did the black guy ever come after you? He sounded like he wanted to bust you up baddd.

BTW, when did you post the story on GlockTalk? Got a link for it there?

Yeah...I had an FFL at the time, and alot of firearms...and that was the only thing I was worried about. She "could" have made me sell them all and split the money with her, since I aquired almost all of them during our marriage.

Glock talk post...

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=691336http://www.glocktalk.com/showt.....did=691336

juju151

imported post

HankT wrote:
Excellent points.

Didn't make much sense at all. I don't think it was reasonable. And lying to the cop was maybe not reasonable either.

If you have to lie to a cop about a self-defense event caused by parking in a 100% deserted, dark parking lot because you want to fool your soon to be ex-wife because of a nearing divorcebecause she knows the babe you're going to a movie with...that is...well,... not a good thing.

So Hank...whacha tryin to say??? Don't hold back man...tell me how you really feel!!!

So what?...the parking lot thingmay not have seemed reasonable to you, but like I said, I had grown up in the area, and it wasn'tso bad around there at the time, that you had to watch your back or worry about getting car-jacked. I've already explained why I did it.

So now I'm the bad guy because I was going out ona date with someone before my divorce was final, and I parked in an open, but deserted,parking lot with no cars???

Whatever...

Read this again, slowly, and try to understand it this time...I chose not to park in the upper lot simply because I didn't want my X to drive through and see my Jeep there...parking somewhere else in the upper lot would not have accomplished that purpose. We "could have" met elsewhere and driven there together, but I didn't want to do that either, as we might have been seen riding together.

What the...???

"If you have to lie to a cop about a self-defense event caused by parking in a 100% deserted, dark parking lot because you want to fool your soon to be ex-wife....etc......etc......etc....snip"

What in the hell are you talking about?

This "event" wasn't caused because of a run-on sentence describing my personal life at the time. It was caused because some P.O.S. thug thought he had found an easy target. Why don't you just take sides with the thug, you'd make better sense that way. You really should be an anti...you'd be good at it, because that's like saying it's the gun's fault that people get shot.

If I had not parked there, then yeah, it probably wouldn't have happened.

Butif that's the case, I guess that I should live in fear and never come out of the house??? But, with all of your infinite wisdom, I guess that you have NEVER parked in a lot that didn't have good lighting, andwithout people walking all around you, so someone could come running to your rescue if needed, right? Yeah...Riiiiiiiiight!!!

Telling the cop that I didn't point the gun at the scumbag was not right???

Ok...yeah, I guess that I should have just "fessed up" and told the Officer that Ihad commited the crime of "assault with a deadly weapon", and that he should lock me up ASAP.I didn't do anything wrong man, so why should I have admitted to something that would have sent me straight to jail??? WTF? But I guess that if you had been in that situation, you would havedone just that, right? Yeah....Riiiiiiiiiight!!!

Next time something like that happens to me...I'll be sure tojump on here to ask your advice first, before I do anything that may notseem reasonable to you! :quirky

unrequited

imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
Seems like your whole incident is based on parking in a deserted parking lot for some reason. That's not safe, man.

Always park in well-lighted areas that are patrolled regularly and which have a lot of pedestrian traffic. You'll be sorry if you don't.
Yeah juju151, it's all your fault because you didn't always park in a well-lit area that is patrolled regularly and has a lot of pedestrian traffic. /sarcasm

*sigh* Seriously juju151, don't listen to HankT, he has no right to lecture you, and the "you deserved it because you should have known better" attitude is almost downright insulting...

Requoted 'cause HankT still seems to wanna push the agenda that you asked for it parking in that lot. : (

vtme_grad98

imported post

juju151 wrote:
Vaguedoesn't even begin to describe our laws here.

My wife and I stopped at a new ice cream shop last weekend, and there were2 LEOs in there...so I asked them if Wal-Mart would be concidered a public gathering and off limits to carry. Believe it or not...the younger one said yes, and the older one said no. :uhoh:
That POS public gathering law is the primary reason I could never move to Georgia. When I began job hunting, I started with a search of state gun laws to see which places were comparable to VA (I never knew how good I have it in VA until I did that). Finding that GA, the same state with a town that mandated gun ownership, had a law that effectively made you a criminal if you were armed with other people around was dumbfounding to me.

juju151

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Requoted 'cause HankT still seems to wanna push the agenda that you asked for it parking in that lot. : (

Thanks unrequited! I appreciate the support inyour original post andthe requote as well.

I agree 100%...

I may have put myself in an unsafe situation, but leaving my house every morning does exactly the same thing...and you just have to be prepared for whatever may happen, no matter what the situation or location.

Attacking me because of thestatus of my personal life, or choices madeat the time...

• #1. Is notright.
  • #2.Doesn'tmake me that bad guy.
  • #3. Didn't give the thug the right to do what he did.
I certainly wasn't asking for it, and if that's what he thinks...Oh, well??? I don't have a problem with critisizm or suggestions on how I should have handled it, but personal attacks are another thing.

I apologize to everyone elsefor "Going Off" in my last post, but I've now realized thatevery forum has "One"... ;)

And, Iguess you just can't avoid them, huh?

juju151

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
That POS public gathering law is the primary reason I could never move to Georgia. When I began job hunting, I started with a search of state gun laws to see which places were comparable to VA (I never knew how good I have it in VA until I did that). Finding that GA, the same state with a town that mandated gun ownership, had a law that effectively made you a criminal if you were armed with other people around was dumbfounding to me.

Preach on Brotha' :celebrate

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for us ascitizens, but it's ok for Officers not to know the basic firearms laws???

Then, you try to read and understand the laws, as written here in GA, so you can follow them correctly...HA! Good Luck with that!

So, if we are supposed to know the laws here concerning our activities, you would think that they would be required to furnish us something written that could be understood by us normal folks, ya know? You need a law degree to understand this stuff. But I think they do that on purpose.

And the POS public gathering law...Yeahhhhhhhh, I just can't understand the lack of logic in the law making process... :banghead:

I'vealways had aVERY low tolerance for BS...but I'mbeginning toget numb to it, because it seems to be everywhere you look these days...and no end in sight!

Particle

imported post

Don't pay any attention to HankT. I'm not sure why he's pushing his warped agenda so hard. You seem to me to have done the right thing in this situation, except perhaps lying to the police. They say two wrongs don't make a right, but some times I think that they can make an 89 degree angle out of a warped situation. *ba da, tttt* I'd rather see you lie and get away than the other guy's lies put you away for doing nothing wrong.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Particle wrote:
I'd rather see you lie and get away than the other guy's lies put you away for doing nothing wrong.

Aslong as the good guys lie, it's al--right!

But what if the good guy lies and the bad guy tells the truth? Or the good guy lies, the bad guy lies, but thebad guy lies better?

I guess it's better to have lied and lost, than never to have lied at all...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Hrmm...Perjury...I have no Clue ( Head scratch )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perjury

...."The rules for perjury also apply to witnesses who have affirmed they are telling the truth. Affirmation is used by a witness who is unable to swear to tell the truth. For example, in the United Kingdom a witness may swear on the Bible or other holy book. If a witness has no religious beliefs, or does not wish to swear on a holy book, the witness may make an affirmation he or she is telling the truth instead.

The rules for perjury also apply when a person has made a statement under penalty of perjury, even if the person has not been sworn or affirmed as a witness before an appropriate official. ..."

..."Statements of interpretation of fact are not perjury because people often make inaccurate statements unwittingly and not deliberately. Individuals may have honest but mistaken beliefs about certain facts or their recollection may be inaccurate. Like most other crimes in the common law system, to be convicted of perjury one must have had the mens rea to commit the act, and to have actually committed the actus reus...."

UTOC-45-44

imported post

juju151 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Excellent points.

So Hank...whacha tryin to say??? Don't hold back man...tell me how you really feel!!!

So what?...the parking lot thingmay not have seemed reasonable to you, but like I said, I had grown up in the area, and it wasn'tso bad around there at the time, that you had to watch your back or worry about getting car-jacked. I've already explained why I did it.

So now I'm the bad guy because I was going out ona date with someone before my divorce was final, and I parked in an open, but deserted,parking lot with no cars???

Whatever...

Read this again, slowly, and try to understand it this time...I chose not to park in the upper lot simply because I didn't want my X to drive through and see my Jeep there...parking somewhere else in the upper lot would not have accomplished that purpose. We "could have" met elsewhere and driven there together, but I didn't want to do that either, as we might have been seen riding together.

What the...???

"If you have to lie to a cop about a self-defense event caused by parking in a 100% deserted, dark parking lot because you want to fool your soon to be ex-wife....etc......etc......etc....snip"

What in the hell are you talking about?

This "event" wasn't caused because of a run-on sentence describing my personal life at the time. It was caused because some P.O.S. thug thought he had found an easy target. Why don't you just take sides with the thug, you'd make better sense that way. You really should be an anti...you'd be good at it, because that's like saying it's the gun's fault that people get shot.

If I had not parked there, then yeah, it probably wouldn't have happened.

Butif that's the case, I guess that I should live in fear and never come out of the house??? But, with all of your infinite wisdom, I guess that you have NEVER parked in a lot that didn't have good lighting, andwithout people walking all around you, so someone could come running to your rescue if needed, right? Yeah...Riiiiiiiiight!!!

Telling the cop that I didn't point the gun at the scumbag was not right???

Ok...yeah, I guess that I should have just "fessed up" and told the Officer that Ihad commited the crime of "assault with a deadly weapon", and that he should lock me up ASAP.I didn't do anything wrong man, so why should I have admitted to something that would have sent me straight to jail??? WTF? But I guess that if you had been in that situation, you would havedone just that, right? Yeah....Riiiiiiiiiight!!!

Next time something like that happens to me...I'll be sure tojump on here to ask your advice first, before I do anything that may notseem reasonable to you! :quirky

The Divorce wasNOT over and you were still Married and Became an Adulterer, which in the State of Va is a..."Class 4 misdemeanors in Virginia, adultery carries a maximum penalty of a $250 fine."

http://www.sodomylaws.org/usa/virginia/vanews123.htm

In the article above you have an interesting story to read about ...John Raymond Bushey Jr. a former Attorney who " resigned his position as attorney for the Shenandoah Valley town of Luray, Va., a job he’d held for 32 years."

I DON'T POINT ANY FINGERS CUZ WE ALL ARE ALWAYS GUILTY OF SOMETHING.

Particle

imported post

HankT wrote:
Particle wrote:
 I'd rather see you lie and get away than the other guy's lies put you away for doing nothing wrong.

As long as the good guys lie, it's al--right!

But what if the good guy lies and the bad guy tells the truth? Or the good guy lies, the bad guy lies, but the bad guy lies better?  

I guess it's better to have lied and lost, than never to have lied at all...

Of course the full truth is always the most moral choice, but it isn't always a practical one. You're alive and old enough to speak, so I'm sure you've learned the same lesson that everyone else has by that point. Life isn't an equation...it's a game that must be played with uncertain rules and unpredictable outcomes. It is possible to do the wrong thing for the right reasons, too, I suppose. Personally, I don't think I would have tried to cover anything up in that situation, but that's just me. I may know life's a game, but some times I don't remember that when events are actually happening.

I'm just glad to hear that everyone went home alive. Maybe the attacker will soak in the events a bit before considering such actions again.

SIGguy229

imported post

It's against the law to carry into a theater??? Obviously that's a bad idea given your circumstances.

Is it because it's written into the state law or because it is posted? Does posting have the weight of law?

juju151

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
The Divorce wasNOT over and you were still Married and Became an Adulterer, which in the State of Va is a..."Class 4 misdemeanors in Virginia, adultery carries a maximum penalty of a $250 fine."

I DON'T POINT ANY FINGERS CUZ WE ALL ARE ALWAYS GUILTY OF SOMETHING.

Just going to a movie with a female, while you're married, is commiting adultery in VA??? :shock:

Damn!...and I thought GA had some stupid laws.

Oh well...Itseems thatI am no better than the thug.

Hank, I guess that I should have just handed him myhandgun through the window and confessed my sins to him...and hoped that he would show me some mercy, huh?

juju151

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
It's against the law to carry into a theater??? Obviously that's a bad idea given your circumstances.

Is it because it's written into the state law or because it is posted? Does posting have the weight of law?

That's a good question SIGguy...

Here in GA, you can ask 10 different Officers or Judges if it's against the law, and you'll get 10 different answers.

It's not written into the law, but the law is so vague, that not even the Officers know what the laws really mean here.

So to answer your question, no, it's not against the law...but then, maybe it is??? :banghead: