Thread: Car shopping

Post imported post

I decided to take my girl friend out car shopping to day. As we drove past a used car dealership we saw a nice 2006 impala SS, so we decided to stop and test drive it. As usual i was OCing. we walked through the dealership, found a salesman and went to look at the car.

After talking for a bit he said he was going to go in to get the dealer plate and he'd be right back. Someone inside must have said something to him because the first thing he said when he returned was ," If you have a CCW its illegal for it to be showing."

I told him that i do have a CCW and even if i didnt it would still be legal to carry it open in Michigan.

He looks at me and says, " I still Dont know."

Then i very politly tell him that it wont be a problem to spend my money else where. and informed him about a website www.MCRGO.com. which has a list of stores that are not gun friendly. Once he heard that he was all over himself, no no no its ok.

So that was the end of it and we test drove the car, very nice.

That was my first encounter with anybody while OCing, just thought id share

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Couldn't get through on the link.

I wonder if there isn't some intermediate steps we can use before playing the hardball, business-elsewhere card. Measured attempts at education. Maybe win some friends.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Couldn't get through on the link.

I wonder if there isn't some intermediate steps we can use before playing the hardball, business-elsewhere card. Measured attempts at education. Maybe win some friends.
    MCRGO.org

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thanks! Nice site.

I especially liked the article where somebody is FOIA-ing the mayors in Bloomberg's so-called coalition ("syndicate" is the word that comes immediately to my mind.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Did anyone else read
    2006 impala SS
    as the stainless steel impala....?

Post imported post

Lew wrote:
    Did anyone else read
    2006 impala SS
    negative....super sport

Post imported post

YES YES IT IS.

OH YEAH SORRY ABOUT THE .ORG THERE.

ALSO WHEN I SAID I CAN TAKE MY BUISNESS ELSE WHERE IT WAS NOT IN ANY WAY MEAN. I SAID IT IN A VERY NICE HALF WAY JOKING WAY. BUT HE STILL GOT THE POINT THAT I WOULD NOT DEAL WITH A DEALER THAT WOULD NOT DO BUISNESS WITH ME ON THE ACCOUNT I LEGALLY CARRIED A GUN.

IN NO WAY WAS THIS A BAD CONFRONTATION AT ALL. I WOULD LOVE NOTHING MORE THAN TO HELP EXPLAIN THE FINER POINTS OF OPEN CARRY. BUT TRUST ME THE ONLY THING ON THIS GUYS MIND WAS HOW MUCH COMMISSION HE WAS GOING TO MAKE OFF ME

AND LIKE I SAID IM PRETTY SURE THE ONLY REASON HE EVEN SAID SOMETHING WAS BECUASE SOMEONE IN SIDE TOLD HIM TO.

Post imported post

While we know that we pose no threat to people, alot of them are just unfamiliar with guns and gun laws, and their fear is born out their ignorance. Car salesmen are especially fearful of people with guns, due to their fear of criminals stealing cars from them at gunpoint on test drives, and possibly killing them to avoid arrest.

It does happen. Obviously, a criminal isn't likely to openly display a firearm on his hip, nor go through the process of getting a permit. But to the uninformed that is irrelevant. They see a gun and think, "OK, is he a) a cop, or b) a criminal?" Lacking law enforcement credentials, they'll immediately categorize us as criminals (whether they're aware of it or not).

It's stupid, but I at least understand why a car salesman might fear a gun, even a legal one.

I sold Toyotas a while back, and my future FIL is a BMW salesman. I know how most of them think. There are exceptions, such as my own trainer/sales manager, who is a retired USMC drill instructor. That guy would rip the gun out of your hand and clobber you to death with it, just so he wouldn't get GSR on the new car's interior.

Post imported post

Lew wrote:
    Did anyone else read
    2006 impala SS
    With Chevy terminology going back to the 50s or 60s, SS = Super Sport, RS = Rally Sport, and I think that LS = Luxury Sport. CMIIW...

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    That's a good thought.Why usean all-or-nothing strategy? Especially if you're going to end up having to inconvenience yourself. The all-or-nothing strategy is kind of like the schoolyard strategy. It feels good. But it doesn't really do much for ya.

It's a diffusion problem. Not a battle

Hef wrote:
    Car salesmen are especially fearful of people with guns, due to their fear of criminals stealing cars from them at gunpoint on test drives, and possibly killing them to avoid arrest.
    I thought you were going to mention another reason....especially when selling usedf cars...

Post imported post

Not all car dealers are anti. Recently, some young punk attempted to rob a local used car dealer. The owner was the only employee present. He was also armed. Result- 1 disarmed and incarcerated wannabe bad guy. I wish I could find the story, but the local paper is a bit lacking in archives.

Post imported post

I wasn't trying to imply that all car salesmen are anti-gun. I would think that they, like many people in society, are neither pro- nor anti-gun. However, every so often a story comes up where a salesman is kicked out of a car at gun point, or murdered, so it puts them on alert whenever they encounter non-LEO's with guns. I don't fault them for having a sense of self-preservation, even if it might be misguided.

If we all handled the uninformed the way the OP did, public perception of guns, and gun owners who carry, would change for the better.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    That's a good thought.Why usean all-or-nothing strategy? Especially if you're going to end up having to inconvenience yourself. The all-or-nothing strategy is kind of like the schoolyard strategy. It feels good. But it doesn't really do much for ya.

It's a diffusion problem. Not a battle

Hef wrote:
    Car salesmen are especially fearful of people with guns, due to their fear of criminals stealing cars from them at gunpoint on test drives, and possibly killing them to avoid arrest.
    I thought you were going to mention another reason....especially when selling usedf cars...
    Now THAT would be a legitimate concern.