• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MetroParks against 2A...........???

Splat!!

imported post

Quote:

"Chief M. Broughton" <broughtonm>

Quote:

Permitting weapons in our buildings is prohibited as marked on each building. Outside of our buildings citizens may have a ccw on his/her persons as outlined by the State CCW Law and must follow all laws required by the State of Ohio.

----- Original Message -----
To: metroparks@butlercountyohio.org
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 4:31 PM
Subject: Firearms

What are your rules and/or policies regarding open carry of handguns for private citizens within the metroparks areas?

Also please elaborate on concealed carrying of handguns should you have different policies for each method of carry.

Thank You,
#######

No mention of Open carrying , just CCW .........Is a follow up necessary to clarify for open carry ??

Next

Is he playing with me or evading??

My last e-mail is first...........

Quote:

Thank you for your prompt reply regarding CCW / CHL regulations within your Metropark areas.
I may have not made it clear in the original e-mail I sent , I am also interested in your regulations within the Metropark areas regarding open carrying of firearms by those citizens without a CCW / CHL.

To: ####
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: Firearms

Permitting weapons in our buildings is prohibited as marked on each building. Outside of our buildings citizens may have a ccw on his/her persons as outlined by the State CCW Law and must follow all laws required by the State of Ohio.

To: metroparks@butlercountyohio.org
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 4:31 PM
Subject: Firearms

What are your rules and/or policies regarding open carry of handguns for private citizens within the metroparks areas?

Also please elaborate on concealed carrying of handguns should you have different policies for each method of carry.

Thank You,
######

The last e-mail he sent me.............

Quote:

The following is a section of the Ohio Revised Code which defines the law.

2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person’s person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

(B) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun , fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

(2) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly fail to keep the person’s hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

(3) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose, if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, and if the person is approached by any law enforcement officer while stopped, knowingly remove or attempt to remove the loaded handgun from the holster, pocket, or other place in which the person is carrying it, knowingly grasp or hold the loaded handgun, or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person’s hands or fingers at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;

(4) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly disregard or fail to comply with any lawful order of any law enforcement officer given while the person is stopped, including, but not limited to, a specific order to the person to keep the person’s hands in plain sight.

(C)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or to a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry concealed weapons or dangerous ordnance or is authorized to carry handguns and is acting within the scope of the officer’s, agent’s, or employee’s duties;

(b) Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry concealed weapons or dangerous ordnance or is authorized to carry handguns, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code, unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (C)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person.

(2) Division (A)(2) of this section does not apply to any person who, at the time of the alleged carrying or possession of a handgun, is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, unless the person knowingly is in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

Legba

imported post

I'm satisfied with his response - as long as you comply with the law, OC away, whether he can answer your question directly or not. He sounds like a toad, though.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I agree with Legba. Stay within the confines of the law, and you should be fine.

Splat!!

imported post

The issue is they will not clarify trueopen carry without CHL..................:banghead:

TLE XIII: GENERAL OFFENSES / CHAPTER 137: WEAPONS CONTROL / §
137.01 POSSESSING OR CARRYING WEAPONS IN PARKS.
§ 137.01 POSSESSING OR CARRYING WEAPONS IN PARKS.
(A) No person in a park, except peace officers, shall have in his or her possession any
firearm, switchblade, hunting knife, dagger or other bladed instrument, metal knuckles,
slingshot, or other dangerous weapon.
(B) No person, except peace officers and those authorized to carry concealed weapons
under R.C. § 2923.12, shall carry on or about his or her person, firearms of any description,
knives, bows and arrows, crossbows, air or gas guns, missiles, slingshots or other
missile-throwing devices, except that bows and arrows may be carried in areas designated by the
Director for their use.
(C) Firearms, bows and arrows, knives, air or gas guns, missiles, slingshots or other
missile-throwing devices or any snares or traps brought into a park may be confiscated by peace

Legba

imported post

You're in Butler Co., splat? I'm languishing in Hamilton. Is that a city ordinance? I see no reference to carrying in parks per the ORC.

-ljp

Splat!!

imported post

Five river Metropark rules.........................

Butlercounty Metro park will not clarify and No response from MCD which controls bike trails along the river.

Yes............I am in Butler county

Lthrnck

imported post

I have spoke with Chief Ranger Jones of the Five Rivers MetroParks. He was unfamilar with ORC 9.68 and told me he would look into it. This has been about a week now, I stopped in today to check.. and he's out of town..