• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another 12-Gauge Question(s)

kurtmax_0

imported post

I'm interested in carrying my Remington 870 in my truck until I can procure a pistol permit. (Carrying a pistol in a vehicle without a permit is illegal in my state :/)

I can forsee a problem with this though. There is nowhere to hide it when I'm not in the truck. (It's a pickup, and easy to see behind the seats. I don't want to scream "Free shotgun" to everyone that walks by). I also want to be able to actually use it if I need to, so keeping it in a gun box is out of the question.

Do any of you have suggestions on how to carry it in a truck? I don't want to just toss it on the seat or something, but I also can't stand rear-window gun racks or overhead racks. I've seen some vertical racks that mount on the floor of your vehicle. Anybody have experience with these?

Also, any opinions on what kind of stock to get? I was thinking of getting a stock from knoxx. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm torn between the overfolders and the standard stock. Any opinions? If I'm carrying it I think I'd rather have a folder.

If I have an 18" barrel on the thing, and an overfolder, the shotgun will probably measure at juuuussssttt 26" from the rear of the receiver. What's your suggestion on this. Should I get an 18.5" or 20" barrel? I don't want to get charged with possessing a SBS because some cop decides my shotgun is 25.99" long.... Sadly, getting an AOW license wouldn't matter since SBS/SBR are outright banned in my state :(

Any suggestions on slings as well? I don't need a 'tacticLOL' sling or anything, but all the slings I've seen for shotguns just kind of.... wrap.. around the barrel. No kits for adding sling mounts or anything.

Regardless, I'm rather upset that I must carry a shotgun for defense. I'd much rather carry a pistol: Smaller, lighter, much easier to draw.... But, alas, the Sheriff in his ultimate wisdom has deemed me not old enough to carry such an 'evil' and 'offensive' instrument.

I'm not too afraid of getting in trouble with the law. It's clearly legal to carry long arms without license pretty much anywhere. (It's a little bit sketchy when it comes to OCing pistols actually) I'd actually be more afraid of some trigger happy citizen or cop gunning me down because "ZOMG HE HAS A SHOTGUN".

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here are 2 pics of my 870 - Folding stock & Grip. Barrel is a 20" slug barrel with sights. Folded length 30" - Open length 40". No markings on the folding stock. As for carrying in a truck, can't help you there. Maybe something that will attach to the inside bottom of the driver's door. But that may end up being considered concealed.

Remington870bsmall.jpg

Remington870asmall.jpg

kurtmax_0

imported post

Thanks.

I'm not too worried about having it concealed. State code only prohibits carrying concealed "about his person", which the courts have defined as actually being attached to a person.

I'm mainly concerned about having an 18" barrel and a folding stock. Does anybody else have this configuration, or is it better to play it safe and get an 18.5" or 20"?

That's a nice folder too. I was thinking of picking up one of those new specops folders from Knoxx, but I like the way yours looks better (Even if it doesn't have recoil compensation).

EDIT: Oh, and I had another question. It's an 870 Magnum. I'm assuming if I wish to shoot 3" shells I need a magnum barrel as well? Would it be okay to put a non-magnum barrel on it if I don't use 3" shells? (I don't use 3" shells anyways...)

tapper95

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Oh, and I had another question. It's an 870 Magnum. I'm assuming if I wish to shoot 3" shells I need a magnum barrel as well? Would it be okay to put a non-magnum barrel on it if I don't use 3" shells? (I don't use 3" shells anyways...)
IIRC, you can swap parts all you want with the exception of the 3.5" model ("Super Magnum")....they have a longer reciever and must use 3.5" chambered barrels.....likewise, you can't use a 3.5" barrel on a "standard" 870....if you have a pistol grip, a "standard" 870 with 18" is legal overall length.

doug23838

imported post

Kurt:

For sure the police purposed shotgun mounts are the way to go. As others have mentioned Galls is a possible source. You should know that many of these have "electric" locks that secure the gun in the rack, but are unlocked while the ignition is on. They offer an8 second ( I think) timer after the ignition is switched off before the lock engages.

But there's one more thing. As I know it, ANY handcuff key will unlock the lock. Think about it. What's the one key every cop has on him? A handcuff key. So, you'll need to carry one also. Be prepared for the questions when you're miles from your truck as to why you've got a handcuff key. Just answer: " I don't ask about your sex life, don't you ask about mine." :D

kurtmax_0

imported post

I think that specific company lets you choose what type of lock you want. I'd prefer something a little more secure than a handcuff key. I'm sure somebody that really wanted to steal it out of the truck could do so (or just steal the truck).... I'm hoping a gun rack that is 300+usd has decent locks :/