Thread: Georgia OC and CC

Post imported post

This may be the wrong forum, but I got the impression the state forums were for relating stories more than asking questions.

If anyone has information on the Georgia process for getting an OC or CC permit, I'd appreciate their help in finding out what I would need to do. I have a new Springfield XD-9, bought partially for protection (Bought justafter moving into my first house)and partially for the good ol' "redneck" reason of "I want to shoot things." Maybe a bad attitude, but hey, honesty is everything.

My understanding is both OC and CC require permit in GA, but I haven't really managed to dig up much internet information so far on the "how to get."

I'm very interested in finding out what classes I should take. I personally doubt I would carry, as my company is a major railroad and forbids any firearms on company property, but if I ever wanted to, I'd like to make sure I know everything I can, have the proper training, and most importantly, have the full legal rights and permits necessary.

Post imported post

ferret wrote:
    .....(Bought justafter moving into my first house)and partially for the good ol' "redneck" reason of "I want to shoot things." Maybe a bad attitude, but hey, honesty is everything.....
    LMAO... Nothing wrong with that at all! Why should we try to hide the fact? Guns are fun to shoot!

Edit: I forgot to answer the question! Here's a link that should help you out!

http://www.georgiapacking.org/

Post imported post

Don't take this as gospel, you want to check GA's code. However, I believe that in GA, when you get a license to carry, this license does not dictate what carry method you utilize (except "brandishing" as applicable).

Post imported post

Well, it's a question, so it is applicable to here.

It involves Georgia, so it's applicable to GA, to an extent.

Mmm, I have a buddy that lives near Atlanta ( and a few other friends in Georgia...), if you can't find an answer by late tomorrow night, I'll talk to him and get what he knows.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I live in Georgia and have a Georgia Firearm License; there is only one license for both open or concealed carry. Price depends on county you live in and you must apply at county probate court.

Post imported post

Let's see... My buddy in GA says...
    Go here...
    http://www.packing.org/state/georgia/

And....
    You can open carry in Georgia IN YOUR VEHICLE, but only if it's in open view or in the glove box.
    That, and a repeat of the OC=CC license.

So... yeah.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Ferret, how goes your GFL application? Did you find everything you need at GPDO?

Post imported post

Come join us at http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/

Lots of stories, advice, cool people discussing firearms, and a good resource for state law.

OC and CC both require a permit.

Post imported post

Simplified process to obtain a GFL

A) Go to the probate court and see the Very nice people who issue marriage liscenses and such. Tell them you need a GFL.
    B) Fill out the paperwork and hand over your check card (I believe they accept cash as well)
    C) Go see the Sherriff Department or wherever the probate court people say and give yourself unto the hands of the nice people there. They will smile and take your fingerprints.
    D) Go home and wait by the mailbox.