• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia OC and CC

ferret

imported post

This may be the wrong forum, but I got the impression the state forums were for relating stories more than asking questions.

If anyone has information on the Georgia process for getting an OC or CC permit, I'd appreciate their help in finding out what I would need to do. I have a new Springfield XD-9, bought partially for protection (Bought justafter moving into my first house)and partially for the good ol' "redneck" reason of "I want to shoot things." Maybe a bad attitude, but hey, honesty is everything.

My understanding is both OC and CC require permit in GA, but I haven't really managed to dig up much internet information so far on the "how to get."

I'm very interested in finding out what classes I should take. I personally doubt I would carry, as my company is a major railroad and forbids any firearms on company property, but if I ever wanted to, I'd like to make sure I know everything I can, have the proper training, and most importantly, have the full legal rights and permits necessary.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

ferret wrote:
.....(Bought justafter moving into my first house)and partially for the good ol' "redneck" reason of "I want to shoot things." Maybe a bad attitude, but hey, honesty is everything.....

LMAO...:lol: Nothing wrong with that at all! Why should we try to hide the fact? Guns are fun to shoot!

Edit: I forgot to answer the question! Here's a link that should help you out!

http://www.georgiapacking.org/

vrwmiller

imported post

Don't take this as gospel, you want to check GA's code. However, I believe that in GA, when you get a license to carry, this license does not dictate what carry method you utilize (except "brandishing" as applicable).

AbNo

imported post

Well, it's a question, so it is applicable to here.

It involves Georgia, so it's applicable to GA, to an extent.

Mmm, I have a buddy that lives near Atlanta ( and a few other friends in Georgia...), if you can't find an answer by late tomorrow night, I'll talk to him and get what he knows.

JMJ2

imported post

I live in Georgia and have a Georgia Firearm License; there is only one license for both open or concealed carry. Price depends on county you live in and you must apply at county probate court.

budder

imported post

Ferret, how goes your GFL application? Did you find everything you need at GPDO?

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Simplified process to obtain a GFL

A) Go to the probate court and see the Very nice people who issue marriage liscenses and such. Tell them you need a GFL.
B) Fill out the paperwork and hand over your check card (I believe they accept cash as well)
C) Go see the Sherriff Department or wherever the probate court people say and give yourself unto the hands of the nice people there. They will smile and take your fingerprints.
D) Go home and wait by the mailbox.