• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

fight next door, 911 called by me

nikerret

imported post

If this is in the wrong place please move it.:?

All night our backyard fence sharing neighbors were as loud as a bag of cats.

At around 5:30 am (Yes, am....no sleep yet b/c of them) I heard more yelling, this time with angry cussing. I had already been out of bed a few times to check on these jerks. This time I can tell it is different.

I look out to see a bigger guy, guy A throw a smaller guy, guy 1, onto the ground and start beating him in the head with his fists. As this was happening another guy, guy B, came up and started hitting 1 also.

Then, the two girls at the party came out yelling and screaming.
As the first wave finished I saw guy A kicking down on 1's head.
I yelled at them to STOP!!

The fight stopped for a minute and guy A and B went inside. Guy 1 was looking for his glasses when guy A comes flying out the door and sucker punches 1 square on the side of the head. Then, he throws 1 into the corner of the house and the fence, beats him for some moments, then, a girl gets in the middle and one of the other guys stops the fight.

The girls get 1 to go out by his car. I think it is finally over and then A runs out into the front yard, outside of my field of vision, and I hear fists beating flesh. I yell at another guy to go stop the fight and he says he can't. I yell, "Then, I will."

I grab some shorts and a shirt and run downstairs. My male roomate is up also. I duck into my garage and grab my 26" ASP. When we get near the group our neighbors run into the house. The two girls come up to me, both covered in blood. Guy 1 is standing smoking a cigarette. My roomate and I stand around for a second.

Again guy A runs out yelling he is going to kill 1. (Much more aggressively). I step between the two and expand the baton, ready to strike. A stops dead in his track, but keeps yelling as if I wasn't there. He is bleeding pretty badly from his temple. His friends grab him and drag him back to the house. The girls are screaming hysterically. One refused to call 911.

I ran into my house and dialed. Ten minutes later the Police show up. About forty minutes later I get to go home. Twenty minutes after that an officer is asking me to point out the involved parties in a line up. No big deal.

I asked the officer if there was going to be anything of the incident. He said that A and B were getting tickets. I asked him if there would be any reason for any type of retaliation towards my household, he said there shouldn't be.

Later I heard him say to leave us alone, he was only speaking to the guy that I told to stop the fight. The other guys were in the house.

The group of guys were sitting outside talking in the absence of the officers about how 1 was unwelcome and he "broke in", A said it should be legal to shoot people who break into your house. B said that it was legal. I could not hear the conclusion of this conversation. (It makes me think they may own firearms).

The fight was over one of the girls.

1, even though little held his own. I expected him to be beat to a pulp. He had cuts all over his hands and face, but the guy A definitely got the worst of it.

I am already looking back to see what I could learn.

I didn't take the gun, because I was pretty sure I was going to have to get physical and I did not want to have to worry about where my firearm was if we ended up on the ground.

I probably should have taken the OC, but I only grabbed the ASP.

I was really close to taking out A's kneecaps when his friends drug him back.

Now, I understand why no one gets involved. I am a fit, young, moderately trained individual, fully capable of protecting myself; yet, I was still uneasy about getting involved in other people's problems (as a non-LEO).

If there would have been any prior indication that weapons may have been involved I would have just taken my G23.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

I would have called the cops much earlier if I couldn't get any sleep, the non emergency number.

But I think you did good overall.:cool:

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You made a big mistake, and that mistake was waiting so long to call.I would have called about midnight.

Personally,I do not care how brave you are, or what your motives are, but it is stupid and dangerous to get involved in the middle of someone else's domestic disputes.Callthe cops and let themearn their keep.

Legba

imported post

If it gets to the point of someone really getting beaten down, call the cops and grab a gun - only tell the dispatcher you are responding with one so they don't automatically shoot you when they finally do show up. At least in Ohio, you can use deadly force to defend another person's life, which doesn't quite look to have been the case here, but still - it does seem like a rifle butt to the teeth of Mr. A might have been appropriate. Just my sense of it from what you wrote, not having been there. If his pal Mr. B responded with a gun after that, then, well...

-ljp

BIG SHAFE

imported post

Legba wrote:
At least in Ohio, you can use deadly force to defend another person's life
Ya but you have to be careful not to misinterpret the situation, thats what worries me. It's to easy to try and help then be off to jail.

Legba

imported post

This may have been that rare case when a warning shot might have done some good - you don't automatically have to empty 3 magazines into someone's head just because you pulled a gun. I doubt I'd have gotten involved at all. I learned that much from watching the Rockford Files as a kid - don't get involved indomestic cases. You will get embroiled in bullshit that isn't your business, you'll get beaten and/or arrested and/or killed, and nobody will thank you for your efforts anyway.

-ljp

nikerret

imported post

Thank you all for your replies thus far.

I didn't call about the party because my household has had numerous all night parties and no one called on us. i subscribe to the treat others the way they have treated you theory.

I was not getting involved in the domestic part of it. I was simply putting myself between larger aggressors and an already beat on fight non-winner.
I can't sit idly by while someone gets hurt if I have the means to stop it.

There were also witnesses. My roomate came with me and a neighbor from down the street also was there.

In KS you can also shoot to defend a third parties life. I was not sure of the intent until I got outside and down there. I do not have a high retention holster to put my gun in if we had to take it to the ground. When I got down there, I did wish I would have brought it. They aggressors could have came out with a weapon much easier than I could have retrieved my gun.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Good job, nikerret. Kudos to you.

There are several ways to handle that situation with positive outcomes. You picked a good one.

I think you took a bit of a risk but not too too much.

As a generalrule in such drunken* fight situations, the less guns the better. Zero is a real good number.

*I'm guessing alcohol and/or other intoxicants were involved.