• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC (VA) and LEO / Clueless Citizen Interaction Checklist?

30 cal slut

imported post

BobCav has put together a really nice summary pamphlet of VA gun laws here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3342.html

There's even a little space to jot notes for LEO interactions.

Has anyone here put together a quick list of what to do/say if and when confronted by an LEO oraconcerned private citizenin VA for open carry? A pamphlet like BobCav's would be really helpful to read BEFOREHAND.

Maybe all those folks (danbus, lol) who've had several LEO interactionsunder their belt couldcoalesce their notesinto something.

I'm all for exercising my rights - but also understand that LEO's have tough jobs and I don't want to waste an entire day proving that I am a law-abiding citizen. I also want to be sure that any interaction with John Q Citizen who is clueless about RKBAis a positive one.

Sorry if this is repetitive - but I've never had an LEO stop me for OC.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It would run to numerous pages, what with discussing all the possible scenarios.

It would necessarily involve pages and pages of court opininon and statutes. Even just the basics would take a pamphlet, at a quick guess.

One project Iwasconsidering wasjust this exact question. These are the "problems" I ran into with it.

My suggestion is to read deeply and formulate your own. Keep in mind, any encounter is really just a matter of negotiating position and tactics. You have a huge negotiating position--your 4th Amend rights. Part of the game is knowing the police officer's negotitating position. The more you know, the better you can negotiate.

Another benefit is to knowyour negotiating position andthe police officer's so well you can bang out a complaint in nothing flat withoutoverlooking anything, orcomplaining about something groundless.

Another suggestion is to become adept at using the General Assembly's and Court of Appeal's websites to look up statutory and case law.

A quickintroduction can be had at http://www.flexyourrights.org.

Maybe I'll make up a list of sub-topics for research.

bohdi

imported post

Step 2. Be polite

Step 3. Listen - let them tell you what they want and why before you open your mouth.

Step 4. Think - about what your going to say before you do.

That, IMHO would be the best way to start. My only interaction to date was at Burke Lake, and that went fairly well. It was good to have some people there who were a bit more prepared than I was to speak to the officers. How things unfold good or bad will probably depend on steps 1 - 4.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bohdi wrote:
Step 2. Be polite

Step 3. Listen - let them tell you what they want and why before you open your mouth.

Step 4. Think - about what your going to say before you do.

That, IMHO would be the best way to start. My only interaction to date was at Burke Lake, and that went fairly well. It was good to have some people there who were a bit more prepared than I was to speak to the officers. How things unfold good or bad will probably depend on steps 1 - 4.

re: step 3:
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

possumboy

imported post

Search YouTube for Chris Rock and Police, there is one there were he gives very helpful tips... Don't have access to YouTube here or I would provide link.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

ScottNH wrote:
Title of thread: OC (VA) and LEO / Clueless Citizen Interaction Checklist?
Sorry Mr. hall monitor :)

I can read. But I was unaware that the mere fact that it is a VA thread precludes me from commenting at all if it isn't completely, and exactly, related to VA?
Funny, I have no problem with people making other state specific comments in my PA threads, so long as they are appropriately marked...
Speaking of which, aren't you out of your jurisdiction, MR. ScottNH ? :p

ScottNH

imported post

This was/is a checklist for VA OC'ers. Since Iknow one-party recording is OK in VA, I added step 1a. Where I live is irrelevant. Your comment had nothing to do with a checklist for VA OC'ers, and added nothing to the thread. :banghead:

Your comment is exactly like this one, seen every day on this and other forums:

Original Post: "I live in FL. Is it mandatory to notify LEO's if I'm stopped while carrying?"

Inane Comment, which adds nothing to the thread: "It is in Oklahoma."

Did I mention:banghead:?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

ScottNH wrote:

Ok, mr. self important know it all.
No kidding it is for VA. Again, I can read.
Are you aware that PA people read this thread too?
I think it adds something for them.

Why the pompous attitude?

I've broken no forum rules.
And make sure you never post anything on my PA threads you irrelevant NH person.
See how stupid that sounds?

While the rest of us regulars are sitting around chewing the fat mr. ScottNH comes in and points out that I'm from the wrong side of town. <rolleyes>
What was the harm done here mr. "don't post in the VA thread"?

Oh well, it's your reputation. ("doesn't play well with others")

It's bad enough we can't record LEO encounters in PA (like I posted at no harm to anyone in this thread) but then we have to deal with a-holes like you from NH?

Geez, whats with the unnecessary and counter productive attitude today people?

ScottNH

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
ScottNH wrote:

Ok, mr. self important know it all.
No kidding it is for VA. Again, I can read.
Are you aware that PA people read this thread too?
I think it adds something for them.

Why the pompous attitude?

I've broken no forum rules.
And make sure you never post anything on my PA threads you irrelevant NH person.
See how stupid that sounds?
Oh well, it's your reputation. ("doesn't play well with others")

It's bad enough we can't record LEO encounters in PA (like I posted at no harm to anyone in this thread) but then we have to deal with a-holes like you from NH?

What was the harm done here mr. "don't post in the VA thread"?

Geez, whats with the unnecessary and counter productive attitude today people?

My, my, my...

Try this: Post all you want, from whatever planet you live on. Just contribute to the thread. Post relevant information. Is it that hard to understand? Do you really think I was commenting on what state you're from, or can you grasp that I was complaining that your comment (on my post, BTW) had nothing to do with this thread?

Where's the "shaking head" emoticon when you really need it?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

ScottNH wrote:
My, my, my...

Try this: Post all you want, from whatever planet you live on. Just contribute to the thread. Post relevant information. Is it that hard to understand? Do you really think I was commenting on what state you're from, or can you grasp that I was complaining that your comment (on my post, BTW) had nothing to do with this thread?

Where's the "shaking head" emoticon when you really need it?
My comment on your post had nothing derogatory to do with you. Are you so stupid you actually took offense to my post? ANd then could not help but post a derogatory post to me. Your a real sharp one you are.

Take a hike mr. 34 posts. Big contributer you are eh?

ScottNH

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

ScottNH wrote:
You missed this part of the thread? The part where I acknowledged getting into a thread creep and apologized?

"You are, of course, exactly correct. Thisis the WA forum, but the thread had drifted Eastward, and I blindly went with it, and we ended up discussing VA law. Sorry."

Still searching for "shaking head"...

You missed the part where I am NOT appologize, because I did not take the thread OFF topic.... YOU DID.

DUH

PS: your the only noob that tok offense to my innocent comment