• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One in the chamber

dng

State Researcher
imported post

No, I don't. I carry with a full magazine, but no bullet chambered. I know it would be easier to defend myself if one was already chambered, but the weapon I carry does not have a safety, and I am more comfortable carrying without having a bullet chambered.

imperialism2024

imported post

Well... since I have a revolver... it would be quite silly for me not to. But as long as one isn't an idiot, I don't see any reason to not carry with a round chambered? It kind of defeats the purpose of self-defense if you have to take the time to chamber a round before firing. But then again it also defeats the purpose of self-defense to have to fish your gun out of a concealed holster...

preacher

imported post

dngreer wrote:
No, I don't. I carry with a full magazine, but no bullet chambered. I know it would be easier to defend myself if one was already chambered, but the weapon I carry does not have a safety, and I am more comfortable carrying without having a bullet chambered.

ALL guns have a safety built into the trigger. Don't press it and the gun is on safety.

But, whatever your comfort level allows I guess is what you are going to do.

khmer_gentleman

imported post

dngreer wrote:
i know how you feel, my gun doesnt have a safety either. and plus i'm a lefty, so having a safety on kinda sucks for me

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I always keep a round chambered because if the SHTF I may only be able to use one hand/arm. It's kinda difficult to chamber a round using only one hand.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I understand your point. Who knows if I am right or wrong in my thinking,I guess a gun without a chambered bullet is better than no gun at all, right? :D Sometimes if I feel I am in a dangerous situation, I will carry with a round in the chamber. But that's just me.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

Although I have yet to open/conceal carry because of my comfort level, if you aren't comfortable carrying a round in the chamber you shouldn't carry at all. A holster should eliminate any way for the trigger to be pulled accidently.

The last thing you want to worry about is getting in a situation where you need to act immediately and forgetting about not being in battery. Having to load is going to give the BG more time to hurt/rob you. This is bad because I would say they will have a headstart on you since they know they want to hurt/rob/etc. you, before you do.

My $.02:celebrate

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

khmer_gentleman wrote:
i know how you feel, my gun doesnt have a safety either. and plus i'm a lefty, so having a safety on kinda sucks for me

Get a 1911 with an ambi safety, or any number of pistols with ambi safeties. All of mine have them. I can definitely recommend Bersa, Berretta, Walther and any 1911 with the added piece of equipment. What I would love to know is how you deal with brass coming back at you while shooting. :p

And yes, i carry with 1ITP every day. History has shown that in a stressful situation, fine motor skills that would be required to work the action on a semi auto pistol will not be readily available to you. This can be help through training and development of muscle memory, but most of us do not practice to develop that memory. I myself am a decent shooter, but I do not practice combat enough to bet my life on having to do too many things in a do or die situation.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

BIG SHAFE wrote:
Although I have yet to open/conceal carry because of my comfort level, if you aren't comfortable carrying a round in the chamber you shouldn't carry at all. A holster should eliminate any way for the trigger to be pulled accidentally.

The last thing you want to worry about is getting in a situation where you need to act immediately and forgetting about not being in battery. Having to load is going to give the BG more time to hurt/rob you. This is bad because I would say they will have a headstart on you since they know they want to hurt/rob/etc. you, before you do.

Don't take this as a personal attack, because I know it is going to sound like exactly that, but I am just being honest.

Your 2 cents isn't worth even that much as far as how to OC or CC, because you have never done either. I read posts on here for a while before I started OC, and believe me, my thought process changed when I actually started walking the talk. Compared to others on this forum, I am still a newbie at this, and I realize they have been at this longer than I, so they probably have some wisdom I can learn from, or at least think about.

Also my holster does not eliminate any chance that the gun could fire. The trigger can still be accessed fairly easily. And the holster does not secure the hammer.

Finally, it does not take very long to chamber a round. I realize that it is still quicker to already have one chambered, but we are talking a matter of a couple of seconds.

I don't tell you to carry a gun, because you are not comfortable with it. Hopefully that will come with time. I do not carry my firearm with a round chambered at all times. Don't tell khmer or myself not to carry a gun because we are not ready to have a round always chambered. That will probably come with time, and in the mean time, I'll encourage you and the other members in the right direction without telling you or otherswhat to do, and I hope the same is done for me.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

dngreer wrote:
BIG SHAFE wrote:
Although I have yet to open/conceal carry because of my comfort level, if you aren't comfortable carrying a round in the chamber you shouldn't carry at all. A holster should eliminate any way for the trigger to be pulled accidentally.

Don't take this as a personal attack, because I know it is going to sound like exactly that, but I am just being honest.

Your 2 cents isn't worth even that much as far as how to OC or CC, because you have never done either. I read posts on here for a while before I started OC, and believe me, my thought process changed when I actually started walking the talk. Compared to others on this forum, I am still a newbie at this, and I realize they have been at this longer than I, so they probably have some wisdom I can learn from, or at least think about.

Also my holster does not eliminate any chance that the gun could fire. The trigger can still be accessed fairly easily. And the holster does not secure the hammer.

Finally, it does not take very long to chamber a round. I realize that it is still quicker to already have one chambered, but we are talking a matter of a couple of seconds.

I don't tell you to carry a gun, because you are not comfortable with it. Hopefully that will come with time. I do not carry my firearm with a round chambered at all times. Don't tell khmer or myself not to carry a gun because we are not ready to have a round always chambered. That will probably come with time, and in the mean time, I'll encourage you and the other members in the right direction without telling you or otherswhat to do, and I hope the same is done for me.

I didn't mean for it to sound like an "order" but my opinion. (I was hoping that "My $.02 would cover it) I meant to encourage you/others to keep a round loaded but it must have came off wrong.

I have a Glock, so I sometimes forget about about an external hammer, good point. Maybe getting a holster that firmly covers the trigger would help ease your mind, it does for me.

Just as 40 Cal said, fine motor skills are not readily available in a high stress situation. Me personally, I am less comfortable risking my life for a few seconds to load a round than carrying (I think I will start this weekend since I can't at work or even leave it in my car:banghead:).

Another reason is if you need to use one hand to fight/hold off a BG while the other reaches for your gun, I know I can't load a round one handed so the gun is useless to me in my case, but maybe not yours.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

If you are in a situation where you only have use of one hand, you can charge your semi auto by snagging the rear sighting fixture on your belt, or pocket, or even by pinning it tightly to your leg or body. Remember kids: finger off the trigger. in a stituation where you are being wrestled to the ground and have limited use of an additional hand, you can also charge the action by pinching it between your calf and thigh. just don't shoot your balls off! :what:

dng

State Researcher
imported post

BIG SHAFE wrote:
I didn't mean for it to sound like an "order" but my opinion. (I was hoping that "My $.02 would cover it) I meant to encourage you/others to keep a round loaded but it must have came off wrong.

I understand, I am sorry for misunderstanding

I have a Glock, so I sometimes forget about about an external hammer, good point. Maybe getting a holster that firmly covers the trigger would help ease your mind, it does for me.

I can't think of one that would do this other than an old style holster such as a holster with a flap. Plus I like the holster I have, but I see what you are saying.

Just as 40 Cal said, fine motor skills are not readily available in a high stress situation. Me personally, I am less comfortable risking my life for a few seconds to load a round than carrying (I think I will start this weekend since I can't at work or even leave it in my car:banghead:).

Let us know how is goes for you. Hopefully it will be non-eventful as it should be.

Another reason is if you need to use one hand to fight/hold off a BG while the other reaches for your gun, I know I can't load a round one handed so the gun is useless to me in my case, but maybe not yours.
I cannot load one handed either, of course. But as I said before, I am not against carrying with a chambered round. But it is about my comfort level, which will increase as time progresses and I continue to carry.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
If you are in a situation where you only have use of one hand, you can charge your semi auto by snagging the rear sighting fixture on your belt, or pocket, or even by pinning it tightly to your leg or body. Remember kids: finger off the trigger. in a stituation where you are being wrestled to the ground and have limited use of an additional hand, you can also charge the action by pinching it between your calf and thigh. just don't shoot your balls off! :what:

Good suggestions! Those will be added for some practice.

Thanks!!:celebrate

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

BIG SHAFE
Is correct in that you should not carry in a manner beyond your comfort level.
Yes, this mode of carry has it's disadvantages but safety is always the primary rule.
I've studied tactics, armed and unrmed self defense all of my adult life. There was a time long ago when I did not carry a handgun with a round in the chamber.

Before this draws out into a long post ...:)
My point is that comfort comes from experience. Find a local school, or study group and get at least some basics in regard to carry and real world defensive tactics.
It's hard to foster confidence without experiencing the realities of what one might face in real life.

khmer_gentleman

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
What I would love to know is how you deal with brass coming back at you while shooting. :p
its never been a problem with me, have never even noticed. i was at the range yesterday tho, for some training. and the guy to my left his brass kept landing my way, at one pointwe wereon our stomach shooting and a brass landed right where my elbow was and it burned like hell. since we were training i just left it there until i was then shooting, still stings

BIG SHAFE

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Find a local school, or study group and get at least some basics in regard to carry and real world defensive tactics.
It's hard to foster confidence without experiencing the realities of what one might face in real life.
I plan to, its just that whole money thing that holds things up. After I graduate I plan on taking classes on self defense.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

BIG SHAFE wrote:
I plan to, its just that whole money thing that holds things up. After I graduate I plan on taking classes on self defense.
Let me guess; KSU Stark, Stark Tech, Malone, or Walsh? I am in the area, so maybe if we get some more OCersaround herewe could think about setting up a meeting or lunch.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

dngreer wrote:
BIG SHAFE wrote:
Let me guess; KSU Stark, Stark Tech, Malone, or Walsh? I am in the area, so maybe if we get some more OCersaround herewe could think about setting up a meeting or lunch.

LOL All but the right one. University of Akron, I commmute.

I definitely would like to get OC'ers and/or CC'ers in the area together for something like that.