• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One in the chamber

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I carry an unloaded Glock, not by choice, but due to the silly laws here in CA. Every time I leave the house while OCing, I take 5 minutes to practice:
- Draw
- Drop the empty mag
- Load a full mag
- Rack the slide
- Acquire target

It takes me a solid 2 seconds to get from holster to leveled. At this speed, about 10% of the time, I don't fully pull the slide before releasing, resulting in cocking without actually chambering a round. Another ~2% of the time, I don't get the magazine seated properly on the first try (it doesn't fall out, but a round won't chamber).

I assume in a stress situation, these percentages will probably at least double. That means that about 25% of the time I will be facing a threat with a plastic-handled club. Even if I do it perfectly, 2 seconds is a VERY long time when the other guy is shooting or stabbing you.

If you don't feel comfortable carrying a loaded gun, then practice more. Get a gun & holster that you feel safe with, and carry loaded as soon as you can. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you do, it might just save your life.

Why is 2 seconds a "VERY long" time? Although it is certainly possible that a threat could pop up to demand instantaneous shooting, why do you assume that it will? Or why do you assume that it will most or almost all of thetime? Do you have any data on how quicklythreatswhich require deadly force actually dopresent themselves?

Heck, you might be better off going nice and slowwwww.

Maybe, practice situational awareness and decision-making more than fast draw/racking...

BTW, why do you carry an empty mag in the Glock to start with?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
I carry an unloaded Glock, not by choice, but due to the silly laws here in CA. Every time I leave the house while OCing, I take 5 minutes to practice:
- Draw
- Drop the empty mag
- Load a full mag
- Rack the slide
- Acquire target

It takes me a solid 2 seconds to get from holster to leveled. At this speed, about 10% of the time, I don't fully pull the slide before releasing, resulting in cocking without actually chambering a round. Another ~2% of the time, I don't get the magazine seated properly on the first try (it doesn't fall out, but a round won't chamber).

I assume in a stress situation, these percentages will probably at least double. That means that about 25% of the time I will be facing a threat with a plastic-handled club. Even if I do it perfectly, 2 seconds is a VERY long time when the other guy is shooting or stabbing you.

If you don't feel comfortable carrying a loaded gun, then practice more. Get a gun & holster that you feel safe with, and carry loaded as soon as you can. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you do, it might just save your life.

Why is 2 seconds a "VERY long" time? Although it is certainly possible that a threat could pop up to demand instantaneous shooting, why do you assume that it will? Or why do you assume that it will most or almost all of thetime? Do you have any data on how quicklythreatswhich require deadly force actually dopresent themselves?

Maybe, practice situational awareness and decision-making more than fast draw/racking...

BTW, why do you carry an empty mag in the Glock to start with?
I would think you would want the accidental mishaps to ~0%, even if your time goes slightly upwards... work on it.

Adamdude04

imported post

I always keep one in the chamber, and all three mags fully loaded with hollow points. I carry a Springfield XD Service model, so I know unless holding the gun the right way, this sucker wont fire. Only time I dont have one in the chamber is at home, but I keep a full mag in it. Point being, lil kids arn't strong enough to pull the slide back all the way to load one in, then fire it..and thats ONLY incase I screw up or do something REALLY stupid which has yet to happen, so the little one can get her hands on it.

Adamdude04

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Adamdude04 wrote:
I always keep one in the chamber, and all three mags fully loaded with hollow points. I carry a Springfield XD Service model, so I know unless holding the gun the right way, this sucker wont fire. Only time I dont have one in the chamber is at home, but I keep a full mag in it. Point being, lil kids arn't strong enough to pull the slide back all the way to load one in, then fire it..and thats ONLY incase I screw up or do something REALLY stupid which has yet to happen, so the little one can get her hands on it.

Why not INTENTIONALLY put the 'little one's' hands on it at the range? My son learned a lot of respect for my 9mm when he was 4. Yeah, it WAS too young for him to be shooting a full-sized handgun. That's the point. And it only took one round to drive that point home.

Bottom line: $0.04 life insurance for my son that adds yet another line of defense if I 'do something stupid.' I think he's worth it.

Not a flame-starter, just a suggestion. What kind of parrent would I be if I said nothing?
You know it's people like you that have VERY little respect in this world, from haters who dont understand how it should be..lol got ya but yeah, I agree. I plan to take my step daughter to the range with me one day, give her the XD with the 9mm conversion barrel in it, and let her pop one, HOPFULY two ore a dream come true, 3 rounds lol. The way I see it, is that teaches them JUST how deadly they are as she's blowing the head off one of her own teddy bears.

imperialism2024

imported post

HankT wrote:

It's a very long time when your threat has their handgun chambered, safety off, and unholstered. You can always choose to prep your gun more slowly than you are able, but when it comes down to fractions of seconds, you need to be able to do it as fast as possible. Also, the faster one can prep his gun, the more time it leaves for making decisions and tactical maneuvers. To me, it seems the motto "Be prepared" applies.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
HankT wrote:

It's a very long time when your threat has their handgun chambered, safety off, and unholstered. You can always choose to prep your gun more slowly than you are able, but when it comes down to fractions of seconds, you need to be able to do it as fast as possible. Also, the faster one can prep his gun, the more time it leaves for making decisions and tactical maneuvers. To me, it seems the motto "Be prepared" applies.

Nah, I don't buy it. Especially with this gentleman. He can't rack the slide properly 10 % of the time-under no pressure! He estimates it would double under pressure. What if it triples? Or quadruples?

He needsa new gun ifhe can't rack the slide reliably. Or if his own estimate is that a minimum of25% of the time he would draw under pressure he does something wrong andends up with an unready gun to defend his llife. He seems to think that is somehow acceptable.But it's not.

And why he is carrying an empty mag in the unloaded Glock, I just can't figure... He needs simplicity, not complexity, methinks.

And, lately, if I'm not mistaken, he is talking about wanting to carry an unloaded rifle on his person, too..... </shakes head>

HardChrome

imported post

I have two very different weapons that I choose from to carry with me. I have a Ruger SP-101 .357 Magnum which I carry with a full cylinder...duh. My other is a 45 year old Browning Hi-Power which I have carried for almost 25 years...chambered, cocked, and locked. I don't usually use a holster for either, preferring to carry Mexican crossdraw style. That's inside the waist band. With my size and shape it has always been much easier and more comfortable than any holster I have ever tried and you can hardly see either even when I wear them outside my tucked-in shirt.

Even when I carry my Browning in one of my holsters, I carry it cocked and locked. It was designed to be carried that way, I've got almost 25 years of experience with it, and I've always wanted to be as ready as the bad guy is. Besides, if I ever got into a situation where I only had one hand, I'd be in a tough situation if I had to rack the slide.

Each one is loaded with Winchester Silver Tips. They are pretty hot loads, look cool, and are supposed to be effective on warewolves. :)

imperialism2024

imported post

HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
HankT wrote:

Nah, I don't buy it. Especially with this gentleman. He can't rack the slide properly 10 % of the time-under no pressure! He estimates it would double under pressure. What if it triples? Or quadruples?

He needsa new gun ifhe can't rack the slide reliably. Or if his own estimate is that a minimum of25% of the time he would draw under pressure he does something wrong andends up with an unready gun to defend his llife. He seems to think that is somehow acceptable.But it's not.

And why he is carrying an empty mag in the unloaded Glock, I just can't figure... He needs simplicity, not complexity, methinks.

And, lately, if I'm not mistaken, he is talking about wanting to carry an unloaded rifle on his person, too..... </shakes head>

Well, I can see your point in that it's better to be reliable than fast. But... with enough practice, one can be both. To me, it's just not acceptable to say "I can't prep my gun quickly and reliably, so I'll just take a few seconds to do so in that rare case that I need to do so." Practice, practice, practice.

Perhaps a revolver would be a solution. Don't know about CA law, but perhaps "unloaded" may mean leaving the first one or two rounds out. Then it would just be a matter of just pulling the trigger until something comes out.

Adamdude04

imported post

Common sense plays a big role in gun safety. First being, no finger on trigger unless you want to shoot.

I'll admit, practice makes perfect. Each night, I practice for 5 minutes on my draw. I'm well enough now (prove this at the range:D) that I can draw, and whatever I'm looking at, is where the bullet is going to go. For another 5 minutes, I pratice my reload. With the slide pulled back and locked in place, I stand in my stance, drop the mag, grab my spare, and insert it, using my thumb to release the slide. It's natural reaction for me now, so under a stress situation, I dont feel I'll have a problem defending myself. If it's natural, it'll happen

The other reason I pratice each night is because wifey finds it sexy when I "play" with my gun in the mirror, in the bedroom:p:lol::celebrate;)

imperialism2024

imported post

HardChrome wrote:
I have two very different weapons that I choose from to carry with me. I have a Ruger SP-101 .357 Magnum which I carry with a full cylinder...duh. My other is a 45 year old Browning Hi-Power which I have carried for almost 25 years...chambered, cocked, and locked. I don't usually use a holster for either, preferring to carry Mexican crossdraw style. That's inside the waist band. With my size and shape it has always been much easier and more comfortable than any holster I have ever tried and you can hardly see either even when I wear them outside my tucked-in shirt.
I used to think that Mexican crossdraw was a good idea. But, then I read a thread on here about retention, and I was sold on how incredibly terrible of an idea it is to carrying without any retention.

Praps you need to look at more holsters. :?

HardChrome

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
I used to think that Mexican crossdraw was a good idea. But, then I read a thread on here about retention, and I was sold on how incredibly terrible of an idea it is to carrying without any retention.

Sure works for me. I'm pretty thin and both guns fit vert snugly. Most people I know tend to dislike this method of carry.

My favorite holster is an old leather competition slide which I do wear occasionally.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

HardChrome wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
HardChrome wrote:

Sure works for me. I'm pretty thin and both guns fit vert snugly. Most people I know tend to dislike this method of carry.
What happens if you have to brawl with someone? Isn't it likely to be separated from your body?

HardChrome

imported post

HankT wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
HardChrome wrote:

What happens if you have to brawl with someone? Isn't it likely to be separated from your body?
I seriously doubt that. It really fits me there like a holster. Both of them do. I'm not likely to get into a brawl any more than I am a shootout. I guess you can never prepare for every situation but after 24 years of regular carry like that with no problems whatsoever, it seems to be working for me. I'd still like to find a comfortable holster as I'm not adverse to them. I just haven't found anything as convenient as the way I've been doing it.

imperialism2024

imported post

HankT wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
HardChrome wrote:

Or if you need to move evasively.

And that's even ignoring the fact that a revolver's only safety is the trigger, and that isn't protected while carrying Mexican-style.

Not to mention how awkward it is to drop your gun onto the floor/ground. And I've never quite figured out how one goes to the bathroom while Mexican carrying... I sure wouldn't want my pretty Ruger Redhawk falling into the puddle of urine on the bathroom floor...

HardChrome

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
HankT wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
HardChrome wrote:

Or if you need to move evasively.

And that's even ignoring the fact that a revolver's only safety is the trigger, and that isn't protected while carrying Mexican-style.

Not to mention how awkward it is to drop your gun onto the floor/ground. And I've never quite figured out how one goes to the bathroom while Mexican carrying... I sure wouldn't want my pretty Ruger Redhawk falling into the puddle of urine on the bathroom floor...
Maybe I've got the wrong term. The trigger is always covered by being inside my waist band. And going to the bathroom is never a problem. I've never dropped any of my weapons in this manner. I don't understand how it would affect having to move evasively.

Any mode of carry could be awkward to anyone who is not used to it. It's worked for me for almost 25 years so it must be ok...for me at least.