Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred Meyer and Washington Mutual

Post imported post

OC'd in the Kirkland Fred Meyer yesterday after work. Mainly to refill my water bottles with their filtered water dispenser near the front of the store. I didn't even notice any looks. The only incident that I noticed was a guy in a tie "hovering" around me after I had been there about 10 minutes. Didn't say anything, but I thought he was keeping an eye on me. He was over by the bank and "fruit" section of the Fred Meyer when I was finishing up, so I decided to wheel my shopping cart right over to where he was and he immediatly moved to another "close" location.

I waited there for my wife to get out of the bank branch that was in the Fred Meyer. When she came out, we talked a bit and then I decided to go back into the store proper just to see what would happen. Well, I turned a corner and looked back and he was no where to be seen. It was either just a shopper waiting for someone, or "security" who eventually figured out I wasn't a threat when my wife joined me. I'll probably never know, but it was fun glancing at him and smiling. To which he would immediatly divert his eyes. I love playing games with people like that

After a quick trip through the store to pick up something my wife needed, I needed to discuss something at the bank branch again, so I went inside. Waited for the supervisor there, and conducted my business. No mention of any problems, and I'm not even sure she noticed. If she did, nothing was said.

All in all, not a lot of excitement as usual. Just about 20 minutes of playing with this guy who for all I know was just someone waiting for his wife to finish paying for her groceries and had nothing to do with me.

My reports are pretty boring, I'm not sure if anyone is really interested in all the new places I go OC'ing. If this is getting too boring, just say the word and I will only post if something "interesting" happens.

Thanks!
    Greg

Post imported post

I wanna hear about every "uneventful" OC we have in the Washington area. The more reports of uneventful OC we have here on the boards, the more comfortable new members and "lurkers" will be with the concept of OC'ing.

"Hey! Look at all these guys in my area that do it and don't have a problem! They even talked to the PD about it already! I'm so switching to OC!"

I know I've seen something similar to this at least twice on here from new members that say they were "lurking", which to me says they weren't sure about this whole "OC thing" and wanted to learn about it before being identified as a member of it. That's totally cool, since they learned about OC and ended up deciding to join us in celebrating our rights.
    :celebrate
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    I wanna hear about every "uneventful" OC we have in the Washington area. The more reports of uneventful OC we have here on the boards, the more comfortable new members and "lurkers" will be with the concept of OC'ing.

"Hey! Look at all these guys in my area that do it and don't have a problem! They even talked to the PD about it already! I'm so switching to OC!"

I know I've seen something similar to this at least twice on here from new members that say they were "lurking", which to me says they weren't sure about this whole "OC thing" and wanted to learn about it before being identified as a member of it. That's totally cool, since they learned about OC and ended up deciding to join us in celebrating our rights.
    :celebrate
    I 2nd that. no pun intended

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    I wanna hear about every "uneventful" OC we have in the Washington area.
    Well then, I guess I should chime in as well. Not sure if my story is worth starting a new thread about, so I'll slightly hijack this one instead.

Yesterday I had the day off and was in dire need of some groceries. The wife and I went to the Safeway in Kingsgate (Kirkland). I was openly carrying my Springfield XD in a black leather Desantis holster at the 3 o'clock position. I was dressed in a plain black t-shirt and blue shorts (fashion faux pas?) with sneakers and a blue cap. We went inside, shopped around for about 45 minutes, paid, and left with no problems. Nobody fled screaming. Nobody called the cops. I'm not even sure if anyone noticed or not. One stocker gave me an odd look, but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with me carrying. The people in the line at checkout, and the cashier both seemed oblivious. The person bagging the groceries struck up a conversation with me, but didn't mention my weapon. I wonder if the black gun just didn't stand out enough against my dark clothes to be seen that well? Though, it's a full size weapon and not really "concealment friendly". Maybe next time I should wear orange?

The wife likes that I carry, but is not totally comfortable with open carry yet, so I'm hoping that yesterday's experience makes her more comfortable when I carry, and eventually comfortable that she can also openly carry (speaking of which, anyone know where to find a deal on a Sig 232?).

For what it's worth, I've found that three words can not only make a good impression on others (especially if you make that impression before they see your weapon), but they also make me feel more comfortable as well: "Please" and "Thank you".

Post imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
    (speaking of which, anyone know where to find a deal on a Sig 232?).
    Personally myself I buy quite often from http://auctionarms.com

You can get some really good deals from some of the dealers on there.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    For what it's worth, I've found that three words can not only make a good impression on others (especially if you make that impression before they see your weapon), but they also make me feel more comfortable as well: "Please" and "Thank you".
    To quote my father: "Manners are the lubrication of society."

As for the Sig, also check gunbroker.com. I've purchased 2 of my 3 firearms there.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

JAC, what other gun do you own? I thought all you had was the G27?

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    Cue-Ball wrote:
    Personally myself I buy quite often from http://auctionarms.com

You can get some really good deals from some of the dealers on there.
    Click here P232 in WA, you may be able to save shipping and dealing with an FFL.

Post imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
    Also, every once in a while D&J in Bothell offers a good deal on some. There's also a place in Renton, John's Gun & Pawn(??) downtown (looking online it may be Pioneer). Since you know what you want it's real easy to shop around, call the dealers you like and see what they can do for you.

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    That's my only handgun.

My other two are rifles:
    Mosin Nagant m91/30, ex-sniper (7.62x54R)
    CETME Sporter (7.62x51 NATO, aka .308Win) Another good pic.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Nice pics.

Post imported post

Might as well post my OC experiences here too, Walmart in Renton, Safeway on Roxbury in West Seattle, Bank of America in georgetown, all no problems

Federwal Way Discount Guns next to the federal Way Mall seems to be the cheapest place to get guns around here. I picked up my Sig P220R SAO with a stainless slide and night sights for 700. I don't recommend Champion Arm's though, I paid 800 for a Sig P226R DAK a month ago and I still don't have it

Post imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    The wife likes that I carry, but is not totally comfortable with open carry yet, so I'm hoping that yesterday's experience makes her more comfortable when I carry, and eventually comfortable that she can also openly carry (speaking of which, anyone know where to find a deal on a Sig 232?).
    My wife actually surprised me the other day. We went to the store, and my polo shirt had covered my sidearm in the car. When I got out, she told me to tuck my polo shirt in so I was OC'ing! :celebrate

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    G27 wrote:
    That's my only handgun.

My other two are rifles:
    Good times.

Also, JAC, how does that sporter shoot? I have always liked the looks of those.

Post imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    That's my only handgun.

My other two are rifles:
    Good times.

Also, JAC, how does that sporter shoot? I have always liked the looks of those.
    To answer your question succinctly, my "Spanish Lady" is a bit of a problem child; she has trouble stripping rounds from the magazine. I haven't had the time or money to have her taken a look at by the local gunsmith. The CETME's from Century are kinda hit and miss, but if you get a used one that is advertised by the seller as functioning well, then you should be good to go. A more detailed explanation can be found over on G&G.com, so that I don't hijack this thread with this info: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/g3-...-hold-out.html

Edit: Oh, and it's the lightest recoil you'll ever feel with a .308Win/7.62x51NATO chambered rifle. When she's not having "issues", she's a dream to shoot, but loud as hell with that muzzlebreak!
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Gregma wrote: OC'd in the Kirkland Fred Meyer yesterday after work. Mainly to refill my water bottles with their filtered water dispenser near the front of the store. I didn't even notice any looks. The only incident that I noticed was a guy in a tie "hovering" around me after I had been there about 10 minutes. Didn't say anything, but I thought he was keeping an eye on me. He was over by the bank and "fruit" section of the Fred Meyer when I was finishing up, so I decided to wheel my shopping cart right over to where he was and he immediatly moved to another "close" location.

That would be a great time to sneak up behind him and say "BOO"

Post imported post

Just don't say "Boo boo."

MD

Post imported post

Que Ball said, " I was dressed in a plain black t-shirt and blue shorts (fashion faux pas?) with sneakers and a blue cap."

Que ball, I just don't know what to say. What you did was past faux pas, it was, well (I can hardly bring myself to say it)...inappropriate. There, I've said it. You may be wondering about my difficulty in saying such a word but you have to understand that this is no longer the United States of America, it's the United States of Appropriate. It's really better that way.

If the country keeps quoting The Constitution and all those sticky old documents with their hard and fast rules, where will we be? How can we get rid of inappropriate behavior? How can the Great Unknown, who seem be the ones who determine what inappropriate means, bring about these ... well ... appropriate ... changes to our lives?

MD

Post imported post

Spam bot necro post!
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

qrm?

MD

Post imported post

Awesome! That's my Fred Meyer too. I OC in there occasionally and never had a problem. Great story!

Post imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
    I was dressed in a plain black t-shirt and blue shorts (fashion faux pas?) with sneakers and a blue cap.
    So long as you weren't wearing black socks with those sneakers you're probably OK.

Post imported post

OCed today at the Fred Meyer Wandermere in Spokane for 30 minutes or so and then at Greese Monkey for another 30 minutes no problems at either place.

Orphan
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Post imported post

Magix wrote:
    Awesome! That's my Fred Meyer too. I OC in there occasionally and never had a problem. Great story!

Slowly working on my Fred Meyer in Port Orchard. I'm getting them (and the rest of my environment) used to "Wayne" my old model .45 Ruger Vaquero. It's rainy season, so they only get to see the bottom half of "Wayne's" big chubby holster, Sticks out of the bottom of my jacket like a sore thumb, and it undoubtedly a "cowboy holster" even if they cant see the actual six-gun (-yet-) .. Once rainy season is over, i'll break out the full drop loop and sport a nicer holster.... i gotta get a new belt rig too, my old one is a bit small for me now, and getting worn.

-- So far, i gotten a few coy smiles from the manager, a few odd looks from sheeple, and and a few approving nods from patriots. Wife and I were in the little mall in Port Orchard too, and one of the store managers noticed the sore thumb, asked me if i carry often, struck up a conversation,and then showed me his kimber .45 .. SaWeeeT... Nice guy too.

- Unlike an nicely tucked auto in a waistband holster, there is an almost 0% chance they will "not notice" the old school rig.... i dont do it to rub it in any ones face, honestly, it is simply my personal style.... old school, elegant, distinctive ... packs a punch like a kicking mule if it needs to.

Thumbs up to all for good encounters !! i really like hearing the good stories best.

Bat

edit - spelling
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

gregma wrote:
    My reports are pretty boring, I'm not sure if anyone is really interested in all the new places I go OC'ing. If this is getting too boring, just say the word and I will only post if something "interesting" happens.
    No dude, keep 'em coming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast