• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fred Meyer and Washington Mutual

gregma

imported post

OC'd in the Kirkland Fred Meyer yesterday after work. Mainly to refill my water bottles with their filtered water dispenser near the front of the store. I didn't even notice any looks. The only incident that I noticed was a guy in a tie "hovering" around me after I had been there about 10 minutes. Didn't say anything, but I thought he was keeping an eye on me. He was over by the bank and "fruit" section of the Fred Meyer when I was finishing up, so I decided to wheel my shopping cart right over to where he was and he immediatly moved to another "close" location.

I waited there for my wife to get out of the bank branch that was in the Fred Meyer. When she came out, we talked a bit and then I decided to go back into the store proper just to see what would happen. Well, I turned a corner and looked back and he was no where to be seen. It was either just a shopper waiting for someone, or "security" who eventually figured out I wasn't a threat when my wife joined me. I'll probably never know, but it was fun glancing at him and smiling. To which he would immediatly divert his eyes. I love playing games with people like that :D

After a quick trip through the store to pick up something my wife needed, I needed to discuss something at the bank branch again, so I went inside. Waited for the supervisor there, and conducted my business. No mention of any problems, and I'm not even sure she noticed. If she did, nothing was said.

All in all, not a lot of excitement as usual. Just about 20 minutes of playing with this guy who for all I know was just someone waiting for his wife to finish paying for her groceries and had nothing to do with me.

My reports are pretty boring, I'm not sure if anyone is really interested in all the new places I go OC'ing. If this is getting too boring, just say the word and I will only post if something "interesting" happens.

Thanks!
Greg

just_a_car

imported post

I wanna hear about every "uneventful" OC we have in the Washington area. The more reports of uneventful OC we have here on the boards, the more comfortable new members and "lurkers" will be with the concept of OC'ing.

"Hey! Look at all these guys in my area that do it and don't have a problem! They even talked to the PD about it already! I'm so switching to OC!"

I know I've seen something similar to this at least twice on here from new members that say they were "lurking", which to me says they weren't sure about this whole "OC thing" and wanted to learn about it before being identified as a member of it. That's totally cool, since they learned about OC and ended up deciding to join us in celebrating our rights.
:celebrate

DrewGunner

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
I wanna hear about every "uneventful" OC we have in the Washington area. The more reports of uneventful OC we have here on the boards, the more comfortable new members and "lurkers" will be with the concept of OC'ing.

"Hey! Look at all these guys in my area that do it and don't have a problem! They even talked to the PD about it already! I'm so switching to OC!"

I know I've seen something similar to this at least twice on here from new members that say they were "lurking", which to me says they weren't sure about this whole "OC thing" and wanted to learn about it before being identified as a member of it. That's totally cool, since they learned about OC and ended up deciding to join us in celebrating our rights.
:celebrate
I 2nd that. no pun intended :lol:

Cue-Ball

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
I wanna hear about every "uneventful" OC we have in the Washington area.
Well then, I guess I should chime in as well. Not sure if my story is worth starting a new thread about, so I'll slightly hijack this one instead. :)

Yesterday I had the day off and was in dire need of some groceries. The wife and I went to the Safeway in Kingsgate (Kirkland). I was openly carrying my Springfield XD in a black leather Desantis holster at the 3 o'clock position. I was dressed in a plain black t-shirt and blue shorts (fashion faux pas?) with sneakers and a blue cap. We went inside, shopped around for about 45 minutes, paid, and left with no problems. Nobody fled screaming. Nobody called the cops. I'm not even sure if anyone noticed or not. One stocker gave me an odd look, but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with me carrying. The people in the line at checkout, and the cashier both seemed oblivious. The person bagging the groceries struck up a conversation with me, but didn't mention my weapon. I wonder if the black gun just didn't stand out enough against my dark clothes to be seen that well? Though, it's a full size weapon and not really "concealment friendly". Maybe next time I should wear orange? :)

The wife likes that I carry, but is not totally comfortable with open carry yet, so I'm hoping that yesterday's experience makes her more comfortable when I carry, and eventually comfortable that she can also openly carry (speaking of which, anyone know where to find a deal on a Sig 232?).

For what it's worth, I've found that three words can not only make a good impression on others (especially if you make that impression before they see your weapon), but they also make me feel more comfortable as well: "Please" and "Thank you".

just_a_car

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
For what it's worth, I've found that three words can not only make a good impression on others (especially if you make that impression before they see your weapon), but they also make me feel more comfortable as well: "Please" and "Thank you".
To quote my father: "Manners are the lubrication of society."

As for the Sig, also check gunbroker.com. I've purchased 2 of my 3 firearms there.

xpun8

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
(speaking of which, anyone know where to find a deal on a Sig 232?).
Also, every once in a while D&J in Bothell offers a good deal on some. There's also a place in Renton, John's Gun & Pawn(??) downtown (looking online it may be Pioneer). Since you know what you want it's real easy to shop around, call the dealers you like and see what they can do for you.

larz

imported post

Might as well post my OC experiences here too, Walmart in Renton, Safeway on Roxbury in West Seattle, Bank of America in georgetown, all no problems :D

Federwal Way Discount Guns next to the federal Way Mall seems to be the cheapest place to get guns around here. I picked up my Sig P220R SAO with a stainless slide and night sights for 700. I don't recommend Champion Arm's though, I paid 800 for a Sig P226R DAK a month ago and I still don't have it :(

gregma

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

The wife likes that I carry, but is not totally comfortable with open carry yet, so I'm hoping that yesterday's experience makes her more comfortable when I carry, and eventually comfortable that she can also openly carry (speaking of which, anyone know where to find a deal on a Sig 232?).
My wife actually surprised me the other day. We went to the store, and my polo shirt had covered my sidearm in the car. When I got out, she told me to tuck my polo shirt in so I was OC'ing! :celebrate

just_a_car

imported post

USN_MA1 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
That's my only handgun.

My other two are rifles:
Mosin Nagant m91/30, ex-sniper (7.62x54R)
CETME Sporter (7.62x51 NATO, aka .308Win) Another good pic.

Good times.

Also, JAC, how does that sporter shoot? I have always liked the looks of those.
To answer your question succinctly, my "Spanish Lady" is a bit of a problem child; she has trouble stripping rounds from the magazine. I haven't had the time or money to have her taken a look at by the local gunsmith. The CETME's from Century are kinda hit and miss, but if you get a used one that is advertised by the seller as functioning well, then you should be good to go. A more detailed explanation can be found over on G&G.com, so that I don't hijack this thread with this info: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/g3-cetme/34020-i-couldnt-hold-out.html

Edit: Oh, and it's the lightest recoil you'll ever feel with a .308Win/7.62x51NATO chambered rifle. ;) When she's not having "issues", she's a dream to shoot, but loud as hell with that muzzlebreak!

Trigger Dr

imported post

Gregma wrote: OC'd in the Kirkland Fred Meyer yesterday after work. Mainly to refill my water bottles with their filtered water dispenser near the front of the store. I didn't even notice any looks. The only incident that I noticed was a guy in a tie "hovering" around me after I had been there about 10 minutes. Didn't say anything, but I thought he was keeping an eye on me. He was over by the bank and "fruit" section of the Fred Meyer when I was finishing up, so I decided to wheel my shopping cart right over to where he was and he immediatly moved to another "close" location.

That would be a great time to sneak up behind him and say "BOO"

Machoduck

imported post

Que Ball said, " I was dressed in a plain black t-shirt and blue shorts (fashion faux pas?) with sneakers and a blue cap."

Que ball, I just don't know what to say. What you did was past faux pas, it was, well (I can hardly bring myself to say it)...inappropriate. There, I've said it. You may be wondering about my difficulty in saying such a word but you have to understand that this is no longer the United States of America, it's the United States of Appropriate. It's really better that way.

If the country keeps quoting The Constitution and all those sticky old documents with their hard and fast rules, where will we be? How can we get rid of inappropriate behavior? How can the Great Unknown, who seem be the ones who determine what inappropriate means, bring about these ... well ... appropriate ... changes to our lives?

MD