• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Fire Shots At Man With Gun on Metrobus

LEO 229

imported post

http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=60626

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) -- A citizen flagged down DC Police to tell them a man on a Metrobus had a gun.

Officers were waiting for the man when he got off the bus at the Minnesota Avenue Metro Station.

Investigators say the man reached for his gun, and the officers opened fire.

The suspect was not hurt and fled into the neighborhood.

He was caught hiding in an apartment at
Minnesota and Hays.

Questions are being raised about why police would open fire at a crowded stop.

"There's all kinds of camp kids out here ... and the bullets whizzed right by us," one witness told 9NEWS NOW.

Sixth District Commander Robert Contee was on the scene shortly after the shooting.

He says officers are trained to know what's behind the target before they pull the trigger.

The officer involved is on administrative leave while they determine if the shooting was justified.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

"There's all kinds of camp kids out here ... and the bullets whizzed right by us," one witness told 9NEWS NOW.
He says officers are trained to know what's behind the target before they pull the trigger.

Oh, yes. Comforting thoughts. :uhoh:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Well the way I see this is that the officer didn't even hit the guy, so they should also be trained in what is around the target. How could they miss?

vrwmiller

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
[ snip ]

[ snip ]

[ snip ]

The officer involved is on administrative leave while they determine if the shooting was justified.
Ok, interesting article. Missing a lot of info and presents some inaccuracies. Regardless, if the guy was in DC and carrying a gun, he was violating the draconian gun ban.

"the officers opened fire" and didn't hit the suspect once?!?! Bullets whizzed by witnesses?!?!

If this is true, the officers aren't trained for sh*t!

It then goes on to say "The officer involved in on administrative leave", but didn't it say earlier in the article that "the officers opened fire"?

My my...*sigh*

joeroket

imported post

openryan wrote:
Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Well the way I see this is that the officer didn't even hit the guy, so they should also be trained in what is around the target. How could they miss?
I was thinking that they should be trained to HIT to target.

Tomahawk

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Where was Senator Webb that day? :lol:
It would be funny if all us Virginians were to stage a mass letter-writing campaign in which we each ask Sen. Webb for a staff job so we can protect ourselves against dumb mistakes.

vrwmiller

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
Where was Senator Webb that day? :lol:
It would be funny if all us Virginians were to stage a mass letter-writing campaign in which we each ask Sen. Webb for a staff job so we can protect ourselves against dumb mistakes.

haha...you are on a roll tonight! Keep 'em coming!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I did have some concerns about the gun ban in Washington DC before I read this story. I didn't think I would ever visit the capital again because they don't want me to bring my gun, but after this story, I have been reassured that the police can definitely do their job and I am perfectly safe without any form of defense! Especially since they apparently pay more attention to what is behind what they are shooting at rather than actually hitting what they are shooting at!

Mainsail

imported post

That’s a lot of misses. Do you think it may have something to do with the lack of gun culture in the area? Do you think that police officers that grow up around guns, and don’t rely on only the training the police department gives them, would be more proficient with their firearms?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
That’s a lot of misses. Do you think it may have something to do with the lack of gun culture in the area? Do you think that police officers that grow up around guns, and don’t rely on only the training the police department gives them, would be more proficient with their firearms?

That is the same kind of crazy thought process as "if you drive a car for awhile before you try to become a NYC taxi cab driver, you have a better chance of not getting lost or getting in a wreck." I am trying to think of a name for that kind of thinking...hmm.. what could we call it??... WAIT! I know: COMMON SENSE!!

You are right on the money, mainsail. Seems like "common" sense isn't so common after all these days.

LEO 229

imported post

Rule #1 Do not reach into your bag when the LEO approaches with a gun drawn.

Rule #2 Better be sure where the bus is headed if you miss your stop

Rule #3 If your headed into DC.. do not let passengers see your gun.

Rule #4If your being shot at by DC LEOs.. don't move or you might get hit accidentally. ;)

Tomahawk

imported post

Mainsail wrote:

That sounds a lot like something I once said about lack of gun culture resulting in people being more prone to having gun accidents. Another forum member took issue with that notion and spent several posts trying to explain why my idea was stupid.

Having grown up in NJ, however, I know what it's like to live in a criminal-only carry state.

LEO 229

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
http://john-ross.net/police_skills.htm

interesting article about Police and Gun skills.

Interesting.

I agree with the article. The USSS shoot once a month but they have the funds to pay for all the ammo. They also need to be able to hit a guy who is going after the POTUS and be sure he lives.

As for the rest of the LEOs... many never have to draw and very few ever have to fire. Since it is so rare.... many agencies do not see this as being important.

To me... I need to shoot well enough that I can hit the bad guy every time so that he cannot shoot me. My last time at the range.. I only missed 1 round out of a total of50. All my shots were in the bottle except 1 just outside but still good.

So rest assured that not all LEOs are poor shots. There are a few that shoot damn good!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Deliberately SNIP'ed to twist context :): My last time at the range.. I only missed 1 round out of a total of50. All my shots were in the bottle except 1 just outside but still good.
Tell us again how big was that fish that got away last time?