• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What gives here!!!

Whistlingdeuce

imported post

I was recently at TargetMaster for about the third time to geta little range time in. Each time I carried in openly and was never told not too and never saw any signs. While in this time I did as normal and even brought a friend who is a state trooper. I was told by the range master in the lanes that I am not allowed to carry out of the range...!!!! Isaid yeah ok andwent about my business. nothing happened beyond that.what the hell is that about??? every employee has a gun with open carry and it is a gun store so what gives.

then this weekend we took a trip to cabelas in hamburg and i was open carry as usual and a guy in a cabelas uniform TOLD me to cover it up or I was goin to be arrested. In order to not cause a scene I said "I will but I don't have too" he rolled his eyes and walked away.. how can we have such ingornant people working in these industries and not know what is goin on???? okthanks rant off.

should I have handled the situations differently???

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't know about the range. One range down this way did not allow OC. The reason seemed to be that anyknucklehead can OC; but, to CC you have to have had basic safety training.

The dummy in the store is why we do what we do. It sounds like he actually thought it was illegal. Perfect opportunity to educate on the legality.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I realize that you do not want to cause a 'scene', but I think you should have asked the employees why exactly they wanted to you have your firearm unexposed to others. Was it comments from other customers? Company policy? (In this case it should have been posted.)

Also you should voice your opinion to the local store management, and if you do not get a satisfactory response go higher.

Nobody can force you to spend your money at either of these establishments, make this known to the management, that by prohibiting open carry, or carry off the range that they will be losing a valuable customer, but don't make these promises if you cannot back them up. If they still don't do anything for you -- go elsewhere.

Better luck next time?

imperialism2024

imported post

Whistlingdeuce wrote:
then this weekend we took a trip to cabelas in hamburg and i was open carry as usual and a guy in a cabelas uniform TOLD me to cover it up or I was goin to be arrested. In order to not cause a scene I said "I will but I don't have too" he rolled his eyes and walked away..
IIRC there are several well-posted signs on the front doors that say you must check your firearms at the Customer Service desk. Which confuses me even more... I would think that if the employee were referencing that policy, he would have told you to check it at the front rather than just conceal it.

Whistlingdeuce

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Whistlingdeuce wrote:
then this weekend we took a trip to cabelas in hamburg and i was open carry as usual and a guy in a cabelas uniform TOLD me to cover it up or I was goin to be arrested. In order to not cause a scene I said "I will but I don't have too" he rolled his eyes and walked away..
IIRC there are several well-posted signs on the front doors that say you must check your firearms at the Customer Service desk. Which confuses me even more... I would think that if the employee were referencing that policy, he would have told you to check it at the front rather than just conceal it.
you are correct about the signs but they have also changed since the last time I was in there. they added a line about carry permits. I did notice them at the door.

imperialism2024

imported post

Whistlingdeuce wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Whistlingdeuce wrote:
you are correct about the signs but they have also changed since the last time I was in there. they added a line about carry permits. I did notice them at the door.

Hmm that's interesting. So are they only allowing carry if one has a PA permit?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Guys, Guys!

I do not know the target masters staff personally so I am not relating fact.

I believe this is most likely a SAFETY issue.

Not uncommon in gun shops. IAs a gunsmith I spend a fair amount of time in gunshops and I have been witness to many idiots plunking down loaded guns for someone else to inspect, look at, etc.
I've also seen careless unloading.
I've also seen people trying on holsters with a loaded gun.

In my shop I ask everyone to please unload at the unloading area (sand bucket) or to keep it loaded but to not touch their sidearm at all while in my shop.

Just a theory. :)

TheJordTrain

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Whistlingdeuce wrote:
I was recently at TargetMaster
Is this the TM near the Delaware border on..202 is it?

das de wan! They're a pretty good place to shop, though I constantly hear people bitching about their prices, a lot of places around are 'sporting' shops where these guys acknowledge at least that perhaps guns are tools for the enrichment of society too :lol:

When I asked the owner about OC, he said that while it's legal, he knew a guy who got his gun confiscated, and it cost him a ton to fight the cops in court and get it back and blah blah blah.

They know each other, they don't know you. So of course they want them armed and you not (or at least CC so they know you've been checked out.)

Amusingly enough, they sell blackhawk SERPA holsters there, which are prime for OC! Ah, well. It may or may not be a rule, and it may or may not be enforced, depending on how uncomfortable the RO there is. I say keep doing it til they say something or ban you from the property. If all else fails, come shoot with me in Yeadon :D

Whistlingdeuce

imported post

TheJordTrain wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Whistlingdeuce wrote:

das de wan! They're a pretty good place to shop, though I constantly hear people bitching about their prices, a lot of places around are 'sporting' shops where these guys acknowledge at least that perhaps guns are tools for the enrichment of society too :lol:

When I asked the owner about OC, he said that while it's legal, he knew a guy who got his gun confiscated, and it cost him a ton to fight the cops in court and get it back and blah blah blah.

They know each other, they don't know you. So of course they want them armed and you not (or at least CC so they know you've been checked out.)

Amusingly enough, they sell blackhawk SERPA holsters there, which are prime for OC! Ah, well. It may or may not be a rule, and it may or may not be enforced, depending on how uncomfortable the RO there is. I say keep doing it til they say something or ban you from the property. If all else fails, come shoot with me in Yeadon :D
yeah it is the TM on 202 just north of the DE line. Where is this Yeadon that you speak of?? I am interested in finding as many places to shoot as possible.

wired_2007

imported post

I went to this TM about a month ago to shoot at the rangeand was OC'ing, I didn't notice the signs however. I was told the same thing. I do have a CCW from Utah so... basicly next time it goes in in the "box" as PA is lame and don't validate my permit (but DE does, go figure). It's lame I agree.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Whistlingdeuce wrote:
I was recently at TargetMaster for about the third time to geta little range time in. Each time I carried in openly and was never told not too and never saw any signs. While in this time I did as normal and even brought a friend who is a state trooper. I was told by the range master in the lanes that I am not allowed to carry out of the range...!!!! Isaid yeah ok andwent about my business. nothing happened beyond that.what the hell is that about??? every employee has a gun with open carry and it is a gun store so what gives.

then this weekend we took a trip to cabelas in hamburg and i was open carry as usual and a guy in a cabelas uniform TOLD me to cover it up or I was goin to be arrested. In order to not cause a scene I said "I will but I don't have too" he rolled his eyes and walked away.. how can we have such ingornant people working in these industries and not know what is goin on???? okthanks rant off.

should I have handled the situations differently???
As for Cabelas they now follow State Law on OC vs. CC so the ASSociate was wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location.
Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided.
We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know

Thanks again

Becky
Lead Associate
Cabela's Retail Information
1-800-905-2731
retail.contactgroup@cabelas.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO BACK AND OC AS MUCH AS YOU WANT :monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey

TheJordTrain

imported post

Whistlingdeuce wrote:
TheJordTrain wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Whistlingdeuce wrote:

yeah it is the TM on 202 just north of the DE line. Where is this Yeadon that you speak of?? I am interested in finding as many places to shoot as possible.

Yeadon's near darby. Darby's near 69th street in Philadelphia. So if you're not from around here, don't bother - they're not worth the trip out :)

The place is called Double Action Shooting Sports, Inc. as best I recall.. nice guys, cop shop attached, met a couple of officers there and nobody bugged me for OC (they have a rule where your gun must be unloaded and cased or holstered with permit, though once in a while if you get ogled by one of the regulars they'll let you clear it and show it off.) Only caveat is that you gotta shoot their ammo there.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Well, with that news, and pay day, I may just go there tonight and patronize Cabela's...
:lol:...:lol:...:lol:...:celebrate...:celebrate...:celebrate...:monkey...:monkey...:monkey...