• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the 'Most Reliable' Feeding Self Defense Round for 1911?

wet_willy

imported post

pow"r"ball FMJ profile, huge hollow point with a polymer ball in it. seems to do a lot of damage, it says +P, and i do notice more recoil, but it happens to be more accurate in my officer sized 1911. i shot a tree with it and i would say it did about 2x the damage as the FMJ never had a problem feeding, more reliable than FMJ, probable due to a little more slide speed

USN_MA1

imported post

Good question. I have various self defense rounds and they all feed great. I do however, have some starfire and load like crap in my walther p99.

Hydrashock...good

extreme shock...good

gold dot...good

various...good

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The absolute hands down best feeding round for the 1911, is the FMJ "Ball" round. The gun was designed to shoot that specific cartridge and bullet style.

But that is most certainly NOT the best all around bullet style to use in the gun. Others here have mentioned a number of very good styles. Personally I like Remington "Golden saber", but that driven by personal preferences, not concerns over feeding Though I have never had a miss-feed of that type of ammo.

Regards

Tomahawk

imported post

Winchester makes a cartridge called "WinClean" brass-enclosed base. I used to get it at WalMart and I loved it, but all they seem to have is Winchester hardballs, now.

It had a conical shape so it fed nice and the jacket was open at the nose so it would have some expansion. Check it out if you can find some, I think it costs the same as hardball whitebox.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/handgunlist.aspx?bn=10&type=16
beb.jpg

Tomahawk

imported post

It also depends to some extent on which brand of 1911 you have. There are so many out there and some have polished feed ramps and better fit and all.

It's a good idea to check around the internet on different forums and reviews to get gouge on what ammo works with which 1911s.