• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC just gets safer and safer...

bohdi

imported post

Case of mistaken identity

"I think I may have come to the wrong house," he said, looking around the patio.

Wonder how things would have turned out if it had been the right house. Badly I suspect.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

bohdi wrote:
"I think I may have come to the wrong house," he said, looking around the patio.

Wonder how things would have turned out if it had been the right house. Badly I suspect.

I think he was simply trying to exit gracefully. :lol:

Actually, I really like the rather odd suggestion made by Cha Cha Rowanto the robber. It was odd but logical at the same time...

She had nothing to lose by being, um, hospitable. :)

Also, the case is interesting because no physical harm befell the occupants of the home. If there'd been another gun in the group, the probability of shooting and injury/death would have been very high.

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:
Also, the case is interesting because no physical harm befell the occupants of the home. If there'd been another gun in the group, the probability of shooting and injury/death would have been very high.
This is just the kind of backhanded comment you're known for. OF COURSE the probability of shooting and death would have been very high. If I or many others had been there, while Cha Cha was offering him a drink the threat would have been neutralized.

I doubt a glass of wine, a hunk of cheese, and a couple hugs was what he was after that night. Better to have a carpet bill then to have the blood of a neighbor on your hands because he doesn't feel like a hug next time he robs a family in daylight.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
This is just the kind of backhanded comment you're known for. OF COURSE the probability of shooting and death would have been very high. If I or many others had been there, while Cha Cha was offering him a drink the threat would have been neutralized.

I doubt a glass of wine, a hunk of cheese, and a couple hugs was what he was after that night. Better to have a carpet bill then to have the blood of a neighbor on your hands because he doesn't feel like a hug next time he robs a family in daylight.
I don't believe you understood what I said. Much less what I implied.

I'm just happy that, um, no carpet cleaning bill was incurred. Surely, you can understand that. ;)

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:
unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:

I don't believe you understood what I said. Much less what I implied. 

I'm just happy that, um, no carpet cleaning bill was  incurred. Surely, you can understand that. ;)
That's not what you've said at all. Don't try and backtalk to save face. Even if I misunderstood you, which wasn't the case here, you have nobody to blame or even feel sorry if you feel misinterpeted, you've earned your reputation, embrace & enjoy it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
Even if I misunderstood you, which wasn't the case here, you have nobody to blame or even feel sorry if you feel misinterpeted, you've earned your reputation, embrace & enjoy it.

If? If? If? IF?

I don't mind if you misinterpret what I say. I expect you to misinterpret what I say. ;)

Highly predictable... :)

VAopencarry

imported post

Bizarre........ Every liberal in the world will be trying this tactic in the future and use as a reason you do not need a gun for self defense......... I'm still not convinced I believe it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Bizarre........ Every liberal in the world will be trying this tactic in the future and use as a reason you do not need a gun for self defense.........
I highly doubt. Liberals are stupid. But not that stupid.

I do find it interesting though, ironic, really, that the robbery was aborted in the manner it was. It would be interesting to have had the exact same circumstances, save one: one member of the group having, say a Glock 23 with one in the pipe. Concealed.

And then to have exactly the same outcome: glass of wine, bits of cheese, more wine, some hugs...then a retreat.....without a shot fired.

Wouldn't that have been cool!

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:
It would be interesting to have had the exact same circumstances, save one: one  member of the group having, say a Glock 23 with one in the pipe. Concealed.

And then to have  exactly the same outcome: glass of wine, bits of cheese, more wine, some hugs...then a retreat.....without a shot fired.

No. Nobody points a gun to the head of a 14-year-old relative or myself and gets a hug. If that's not the definition of a justifyable shoot, I don't know what is. Your "asininity" is awfully high today, even for you HankT.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
It would be interesting to have had the exact same circumstances, save one: one member of the group having, say a Glock 23 with one in the pipe. Concealed.

And then to have exactly the same outcome: glass of wine, bits of cheese, more wine, some hugs...then a retreat.....without a shot fired.

No. Nobody points a gun to the head of a 14-year-old relative or myself and gets a hug. If that's not the definition of a justifyable shoot, I don't know what is. Your "asininity" is awfully high today, even for you HankT.

What would you do, Mr. Smarty Pants? Spillit.

:lol:

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:
unrequited wrote:
What would you do, Mr. Smarty Pants? Spill it.
learn to read before you put your mouthpoop on the internet for the world to read *sigh*:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=3543&forum_id=4&jump_to=51547#p51547

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not to dissuade the gunners here. I think the wine tactic has a chance of working occasionally.

If he is a dyed-in-the-wool, evil, sociopath, I suspect it won't work. He'll just yell something like, "I didn't ask for your #$&*% wine. Now give me your wallets or the #%*&# dies."

I think deep down, this robber wasn't completely gone in his humanity yet. Their generosity appealed to it. With any luck, they may have snapped him out of it and he'll turn his life around.

The British Tommies and the Boches sharing drinks or supper across the trenches on Christmas during WWI would besomewhat of ananalogy.

It was worth a shot. What else are you going to do with a gun to a teen's head?

Opie

imported post

HankT wrote:
I do find it interesting though, ironic, really, that the robbery was aborted in the manner it was. It would be interesting to have had the exact same circumstances, save one: one member of the group having, say a Glock 23 with one in the pipe. Concealed.

Except that when the cops showed up, they would have arrested the person with the concealed handgun.

A very strange story. Fox News suggested that the guy might have been on drugs.

The things that stood out to me were: 1) It's illegal to have a handgun in DC; 2) It's illegal to be high on drugs; 3) The cops don't have any suspects.

Boys, you're on your own!

I agree with Hank T that an openly carried handgun would have escalated this situation. However, this must be a very strange exception and not one to plan your personal protection strategy around.

markand

imported post

Sometimes strange things happen.

About 25 years ago, as a college student in Baltimore City, I was going to a Laundromat late at night to retrieve some clothes I had left in a dryer. As I crossed St. Paul Street, a young black an approached me, flicked open a switchblade knife and said he wanted money. I told him (truthfully) I had spent my last dime doing my laundry and had no money on me. He rambled about how "your people" (white people, I guess), in a nearby neighborhood had beat him up. Too young and stupid to run, and not knowing what else to do, I sympathized and said I was afraid to go into that neighborhood myself. He thought that was hilarious. I recall that a couple of other remarks were exchanged, but I can’t remember details. He then asked me what I was carrying in the paper bag I was holding. I replied that it was a jar of peanut butter. “Are you s----ing me?” he said. I pulled out the peanut butter jar, which I was apparently holding in a manner to suggest that it was a bottle of liquor, and he laughed and said, “You’re pretty cool for a white guy.” He put his knife away and said, “I’ll walk with you to the Laundromat. Make sure nobody else messes with you.” Armed robber to my personal bodyguard in less than 2 minutes. I never would have believed it, and still marvel at the event, grateful it turned out so well. (To complete the story, unfortunately “young black man with a knife” in Baltimore City isn’t a particularly helpful or useful description for police and I never saw him again. This incident is one of several that led me to become a gun owner and permit holder, just not in Maryland.)

So, yes, strange as it is, I believe the story about this wine tasting armed robber is *completely* plausible.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My wife and I finally got to sit down and talk about this one. I still think it is BS. Ok, you know the story and the "homeowner/host" missedit all while "walking the dog". This sounds like the classic BS story you'd tell your Mom when something happened and something got broken. Something happened to the homeowner's property, while he/she wasn't there to witness it. Mom is the host in this scenario.

You and your friends are out back playing and having a good time. Your friend, Sam jumps on Mom's prize petunias and "uh-oh" we're in deep stuff, now. Mom comes out to check on us, 'cause it got awfully quiet - we've all been there...

Mom: "What happend to my petunias?"
Johnny: "Well, Mom, this martian landed his spaceship in the flowers"
Mom: "Do what?"
Johnny: "Yeah, then he got out and had this scary look in his eyes."
Rest of group: "Yeah, Mrs. Mom, he ran around us and then pointed his raygun at Smitty and said, 'Give me all of your money, toys and girlie magazines, or Smitty is toast."
Mom: "Go on..."
Johnny: "So we were getting all the stuff together to give to the martian, when Dave said to the martian, 'here, have a drink of cool-aid.'
Dave: " That's right Mrs. Mom. He tasted the cool-aid and said, 'that's mighty fine cool-aid, can I have some more.'
Johnny: "So we gave him the whole pitcher and he put his ray gun away and thanked us". Then the martian said, 'you guys are all right, can I take the pitcher with me?' And I said, sure, take all you want.
Mom: "Then what happened?"
Johnny: "He thanked us and we all had a big hug and realized that it was all a big misunderstanding. He didn't really mean to harm us or scare us. He just got into his spaceship and took off. Dave told his Mom all about it, you can ask her."
Mom: "OK, I suppose it is a true story, since you told Dave's Mom about it."
Johnny: "Thanks Mom, you're the greatest!"
Mom: "Why didn't the martian SOB fix my petunias?"

Sound familiar?...