• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC just gets safer and safer...

cato

imported post

Opie wrote:
I agree with Hank T that an openly carried handgun would have escalated this situation. However, this must be a very strange exception and not one to plan your personal protection strategy around.

Meeting a threat is not escalating the situation; the "visitor" already did that.

An open carrier needs a different awareness then perhaps a CCer. The opportunity is when the suspicious visitor enters the back gate. At which time the openly carried sidearm is seen by the "visitor" and he departs quickly, which I think is a reasonable possibility, or the OCer uses the tactical advantage to draw unencumbered byshirts, vests,or bagsand assess the intentions of the "visitor", acting according to the threat before the gun is pointed at the head of the 14yo.

I see the CCer at a disadvantage in this situation. A fast furtive movement for a concealed gun and that only after deciding to act willget the attentionof the "visitor" who is now closer and pointing a gun at the head of the 14yo. The fact that the gun is concealed may give the CCer cause to pause and loose the opportunity an OCer might feel compelled to use. And if the CCer decides to act at the same time the OCer would have he is now having to deal with drawing from concealment.

Hank, what ifs are useless as the visitor might just as easily started to shoot when offered wine. Personally, I'm engaging that threat at the first opportunity.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
unrequited wrote:
No. Nobody points a gun to the head of a 14-year-old relative or myself and gets a hug. If that's not the definition of a justifyable shoot, I don't know what is. Your "asininity" is awfully high today, even for you HankT.
What would you do, Mr. Smarty Pants? Spillit.
learn to read before you put your mouthpoop on the internet for the world to read *sigh*:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=3543&forum_id=4&jump_to=51547#p51547

Oh. You're saying "no comment," eh? ;)

Cat got your tongue again?

I wonder why you would be so reticient to say what you would do in the given scenario? It's a (devilishly) simple scenario...what would you have done, un?

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:
unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
unrequited wrote:
No. Nobody points a gun to the head of a 14-year-old relative or myself and gets a hug. If that's not the definition of a justifyable shoot, I don't know what is. Your "asininity" is awfully high today, even for you HankT.
What would you do, Mr. Smarty Pants? Spill it.
learn to read before you put your mouthpoop on the internet for the world to read *sigh*:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=3543&forum_id=4&jump_to=51547#p51547

I wonder why you would be so reticient to say what you would do in the given scenario? It's a (devilishly) simple scenario...what would you  have done, un?
Geez, you are thick. From the link:

If I or many others had been there, while Cha Cha was offering him a drink the threat would have been neutralized.

Figured you'd be able to click once and read.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Case of mistaken identity

"I think I may have come to the wrong house," he said, looking around the patio.

Wonder how things would have turned out if it had been the right house. Badly I suspect.
Why can't Police say this when they BREAK down the door and it's the wrong House:lol::banghead:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
unrequited wrote:
You guys should geta Hotel Room...:what:...:lol:...:monkey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
unrequited wrote:

I wonder why you would be so reticient to say what you would do in the given scenario? It's a (devilishly) simple scenario...what would you have done, un?
Geez, you are thick. From the link:

If I or many others had been there, while Cha Cha was offering him a drink the threat would have been neutralized.

Figured you'd be able to click once and read.

Um, how? Guy walks in points a gun at a 14 year old's head, anounces a robbery or he'll start shooting...

Do you just press some handy neutralize button?

Hey, does it look like this one????

images

Man, I gotta get me one o' dem buttons!!

Hey un, just one thing. What if, now I'm just sayin'....what if he shoots the girl in the head while you be neutralizing him? Andmaybe keeps shooting some other kids while you be neutralizing him?

I know it's a mere detail....but, you know, just....what if?

You do care about the girl, don'tcha?

What wouldyou've done, un? Exactly. Not this neutralize copout...

What kind of training do you have in such, um, neutralizing situations, un? You got any competenceortraining at all in that area? Or are you un-experienced and just figure it'll all come out OK if you start shooting?

scratchchin.gif